The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2021, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Best Possible Pickup for my Amazing Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M

For those not in the know, about twenty years ago Epiphone began producing its current Masterbilt line, which was based, I believe, on some of their original Epi models from the the thirties.

About ten years ago, for some mysterious reason, they discontinued one of the most popular models, the AJ-500m slope dread. I’ve always felt this was because they were so good (if you got a good one) that they were stealing sales from Bozeman.

I own three, including one that is just a spectacular guitar, at any price. I paid $500 for it, to a guy across country who owned it ten yearsnever even took it out of the case. It was -- and is -- flawless.

I own a very fine HD-28, plus two superb Eastmans, but this little Epi MB is the only true cannon in my barn. When I play it in acoustic song circles, it literally turns people’s heads. It’s not quite as loud as a banjo, but neither is a foghorn.

I want to drop a pickup in it, but I'm an impossible tone-chaser, the worst you've ever met (thus the pick thing). I despise all pickups. They all suck, even the two Trance Audio Amulets I have in my Eastmans for which I paid $800 each.

What do you recommend? I have a B-Band in one of my other 500Ms, but the company has gone out of business.

Let the fur fight begin.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-23-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

I accidentally created two posts, so I'm deleting the other one. Below is a comment from jrcc that was in the other thread:

Hi Scott! Are you looking for a mag, sbt ust? If it's a mag, check out the Dearmond Tone Boss. It really is a nice pickup, warm tones, could use an external preamp/eq but even w/o one, it's very nice sounding. Check out the Noledog demo he posted on AGF of America's Tin Man. He gets a great sound out of it.
It's not expensive and worse case scenario, it could be a backup.

BTW, The Masterbilts are nice, I didn't know there was a OM, definitely missed that one...
Old 09-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Scott! I'm really impressed with the Baggs Anthem SL. It's very natural and acoustic sounding and not difficult to install.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-23-2021, 08:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default best?

Please define "best". It means way different things to different people.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-23-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
For those not in the know, about twenty years ago Epiphone began producing its current Masterbilt line....
Yeah, those all solid Masterbilts from Epiphone's 2003-2010 production run were pretty great. I had three EF500 models in mahogany (MNS), rosewood (the stellar RAVS), and a super rare maple-back (PNS). Toss in the cedar topped slothead AC500RC and I was pretty well flush in Masterbilts. Alas, they're all gone now to fund my current stable, which I am massively happy with. I've no expertise in acoustic pickups, but I put a K&K passive in my F512, which works fine.

Pity I had to sell the RAVS....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I still like your video playing The Dutchman…

As you know it’s all about trade-offs. Since you are an impossible tone chaser anyways, keep it simple! I’d go K&K or soundhole temporary pickup. Most soundhole pickups will sound very close to each other, and honestly the Preamp will make the tone.

I’m playing a gig tomorrow for a pub’s anniversary, and a town celebration on Saturday. Saturdays gig gets the nice guitar with the k&k. The most simple soundhole pickup setup you ever saw goes to the pub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35611D30-4962-42FC-8EE7-2F444AD25ED9.jpg (51.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Please define "best". It means way different things to different people.
James, yes, BEST is subjective. It's very simple for me. The best pickup under $500 that produces the natural "wooden" sound of a guitar and doesn't sound like a pickup.

I have not met a single pickup in the industry -- not one -- that sounds as good as a Shure SM-57 or -58. So, in short, a pickup that sounds closest to that sound in live performance.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-24-2021, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I still like your video playing The Dutchman…

As you know it’s all about trade-offs. Since you are an impossible tone chaser anyways, keep it simple! I’d go K&K or soundhole temporary pickup. Most soundhole pickups will sound very close to each other, and honestly the Preamp will make the tone.

I’m playing a gig tomorrow for a pub’s anniversary, and a town celebration on Saturday. Saturdays gig gets the nice guitar with the k&k. The most simple soundhole pickup setup you ever saw goes to the pub.
Sal, thanks for your post and the kind words. Actually, that reiterates what I just said in the post immediately above this one. If you look at that "Dutchman" video closely, you'll see that there is no pickup. I'm playing straight into an SM-58. Find me a pickup that comes closest to that, at any price. It doesn't exist.

Here's the vid Sal is referring to. (BTW, for those of you who have heard about casein picks but never played one, the guitar tone in this vid will give you a good idea of why so many players rave about casein. For pure tone, there are perhaps some equals, but none better. I say this as someone who has played genuine TS picks for 40 years.)

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-24-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful Scott! Thanks for reposting it. I never get tired of that song.

And that woman was right; you didn't blow it at all, it was beautiful!!

Last edited by lowrider; 09-25-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
James, yes, BEST is subjective. It's very simple for me. The best pickup under $500 that produces the natural "wooden" sound of a guitar and doesn't sound like a pickup.

I have not met a single pickup in the industry -- not one -- that sounds as good as a Shure SM-57 or -58. So, in short, a pickup that sounds closest to that sound in live performance.

Thanks,
Scott
Okay Scott, that is much more defined now. I would suggest that you can get that sound with the combination of an Ultra Tonic pickup AND a ToneDexter.

You are correct that no pickup on the market, even the Ultra Tonic, will get you all the way there.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-25-2021, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Okay Scott, that is much more defined now. I would suggest that you can get that sound with the combination of an Ultra Tonic pickup AND a ToneDexter.

You are correct that no pickup on the market, even the Ultra Tonic, will get you all the way there.
James, thanks, good info. I confess I'm not much of an effects or pedal guy. Having never really owned or played electric, that whole world is a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard great things for a long time about the Tone Dexter.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
James, thanks, good info. I confess I'm not much of an effects or pedal guy. Having never really owned or played electric, that whole world is a bit of a mystery to me. I've heard great things for a long time about the Tone Dexter.
For what you're wanting to do, you may have to expand your horizons and invest in a Voiceprint pedal. Check out this video.

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-27-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
For those not in the know, about twenty years ago Epiphone began producing its current Masterbilt line, which was based, I believe, on some of their original Epi models from the the thirties.

About ten years ago, for some mysterious reason, they discontinued one of the most popular models, the AJ-500m slope dread. I’ve always felt this was because they were so good (if you got a good one) that they were stealing sales from Bozeman.

I own three, including one that is just a spectacular guitar, at any price. I paid $500 for it, to a guy across country who owned it ten yearsnever even took it out of the case. It was -- and is -- flawless.

I own a very fine HD-28, plus two superb Eastmans, but this little Epi MB is the only true cannon in my barn. When I play it in acoustic song circles, it literally turns people’s heads. It’s not quite as loud as a banjo, but neither is a foghorn.

I want to drop a pickup in it, but I'm an impossible tone-chaser, the worst you've ever met (thus the pick thing). I despise all pickups. They all suck, even the two Trance Audio Amulets I have in my Eastmans for which I paid $800 each.

What do you recommend? I have a B-Band in one of my other 500Ms, but the company has gone out of business.

Let the fur fight begin.

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott.

You said it all. What you really want is a microphone, so why not go with what you actually know you like?

You get the added advantage of not needing to install a pickup for each guitar you own, so it's simply a matter of using whatever guitar you are currently most enthralled with. The real advantage in using a mic is that it picks up some of the ambiance that is created by your instrument. All of that is what you are actually accustomed to hearing and it's the reason why some folks "Despise all pickups". Systems such as the Tonedexter are working diligently to narrow the gap between what is created by a transducer and what you actually hear, but come with added complexity and at substantially higher cost.

If you simply desire the convenience of a pickup, then there is obviously a degree of trade off that you need to learn to live with.

A pickup is always going to require that, and it's a matter of evaluating all of the factors to reach a decision on what you are willing to settle for.

I know this wouldn't be a good solution for you, but as long as you are truthful about what you want then I don't see anything outside of a microphone that's going to get you there.

I'm perfectly happy with the K&K Pure Mini that I've installed in several different guitars over the years, but that's obviously based on my decision making process. Reasonably low priced, ultra-simple with only transducers and an output jack, trouble-free, nothing to adjust, and a perfectly acceptable tone that works in virtually all situations were the major considerations for me.

Years ago when I used a SM57 I had to accept the occasional dent or ding in my guitar along with fighting feedback since I was always trying to get reasonable volume levels in situations that would have been best accommodated by a pickup.

Going to a K&K with occasional sound hole plug was a revelation and refreshing change for me when playing live. I no longer had to worry about positioning and it mostly eliminated feedback issues. The small concession in sound quality that I had to accept far outweighed the disadvantages of using a microphone.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:09 AM

Well, it sounds like you're into trying stuff. An old Sunrise might work for you.

Kulak's, no less! Are you a So. CA native?
Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Rudy, hi, I totally agree on the mic option. However, I should have explained further: Mostly what I will be doing is playing open mics where a really quick changeover is necessary. The guys on the boards just don't want to deal with mics. They want the speed and convenience of pickups.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification