The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 11:39 AM

In that budget range, I'd be giving this serious consideration; for comfort and versatility it would be a fine choice:

Have fun shopping and let us know what you decide on!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Can’t go wrong with a 000-18. You might take a peak at a CEO-7, if you can. They say it’s based on an 00 body, but really it’s closer in size to a 000. I had both and I kept the CEO…. The 000-18 sounds a little sweeter, the CEO has a bit more oomph to it.
Same ... plus one here
Old 09-23-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I concur with the suggestions above to try out the Martin CEO-7. It's a 00 size guitar whose sound belies its size.

I also agree with the suggestions to try a Taylor 322 and 522 12-fret. I've got a 322 14-fret and a 522 12-fret. Both have a warm, balanced sound that, to my ears, has a very pleasing blend of warmth to shimmer. But they are all mahogany guitars, so you can ignore this advice if you're looking for a brighter sound.

All of these are very comfortable to play, especially the 12 fret 522. And there are lots of YouTube videos of all of these that will give you a good idea of the sound.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 AM

Oh man, I played a Larrivee OM-40 the other week, very very full and big sounding, very comfortable, highly recommend.
And my favourite small body is the Martin 000-15m but it's not as big sounding as the Larrivee.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Can’t go wrong with a 000-18. You might take a peak at a CEO-7, if you can. They say it’s based on an 00 body, but really it’s closer in size to a 000. I had both and I kept the CEO…. The 000-18 sounds a little sweeter, the CEO has a bit more oomph to it.
Same here. A 000-18 is an amazing, versatile guitar and I loved mine. But when I purchased a CEO-7, the 000-18 got sold. I really dig my LG-2 but if I had to choose, the CEO-7 would be the keeper.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You might take a peak at a CEO-7, if you can. They say it’s based on an 00 body, but really it’s closer in size to a 000.
I'd also suggest this. I was surprised how much I liked the one I played.

I know you said no boutiques, but try some Waterloos. Very different feel and tone from your J-45, but they still have the funky, yesteryear kind of sound. And very easy to play.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvrDxn View Post
Same here. A 000-18 is an amazing, versatile guitar and I loved mine. But when I purchased a CEO-7, the 000-18 got sold. I really dig my LG-2 but if I had to choose, the CEO-7 would be the keeper.
The CEO-7 may be one of the nicest looking guitars Martin has built, to my eyes, unfortunately I've never been able to play one.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Your wife may be nudging you in a good direction. I have 2 main guitars—a J 50 and a 000 18. If you venture into the Martin universe, the 000 18 is the first to try. Keep in mind that a few years back, Martin “reimagined” the 18s and 28s. The fretboards are wider now (1 3/4) and the bracing is different.

In the Gibson universe, I’d check out the LG 2.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 09-23-2021, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
The CEO-7 may be one of the nicest looking guitars Martin has built, to my eyes, unfortunately I've never been able to play one.
To my eyes, it’s not an attractive guitar at all - it’s a very rare sunburst I like on an acoustic guitar and that’s not one of em. But to my ear, it’s one of the best sounding guitars Martin makes, and to my hands it’s one of the best playing guitars Martin makes, between the Mod-V neck and 2 5/16” spacing at the saddle. I’ve had one for the better part of two years and it was my only acoustic for more than a year of that time. Just a wonderful guitar. Prospective buyers need to check out the Mod-V - it seems to be a love it or hate it thing. I love it, but it’s a deal breaker for many…

If they’d just left the top natural, it might have been perfect!

-Ray
Old 09-23-2021, 08:42 PM

What about a Gibson AG parlor? Mine is a pretty versatile guitar and has a surprising amount of volume.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:36 PM

With music emporium nearby, you should find some nice candidates. We do not know if you flatpick or fingerstyle, but thinking with J45 maybe a flat picker?

I like my gibson G-45 studio and it would have that familiar tone and feel to your j 45, but just a bit smaller/thinner, if you can find them. But see if they have the new line gibson just put out, I would like the G-00, but you might like the next size up. All of these are in $1000 range and I bet you would not lose much if they do not work out, they look pretty nice and will be popular for the price and made in gibson factory. But no HS case, just a gigbag and cases are pricey now.

I saw Iris came up by a few folks, you might really like an Iris OG as it has a gibson like tone and feel, but the OG (like a thicker LG) might actually have more volume and range than your J45. I really like my 12 fret OG. It would be in your budget, but you would have a "boutique like" guitar that is not another big factory production line guitar, they are really sweet and quite a lot of guitar for the dollar. But if you like all the shiny gloss finish and fancy appointments, the Iris is not for you.

I think you need to spend some time trying different guitars and sizes as your shoulder might not like an OM or 000 size. Most of us that play fingerstyle seem to agree the 00 is the best compromise in size and tone, but I do like a larger 00 to get a bit more, the Iris OG seems about perfect for me.

If I was gonna buy a nice gibson, taylor or martin, I would buy a nice used one and avoid the big devaluation if I decide to sell it. You pay a lot for the name. For best bang for buck, then check out the Eastmans or larrivee.

If it was me coming from a dread and not really sure, I would buy a really nice $1200 guitar, like an OM size, like the affordable gibson or an eastman and make sure I liked the size, feel and tone so you can have a back up plan in case it is not right later. If that feels too big for your shoulder, then go with 000 or 00. Then you have a nice couch or travel guitar, lol. The K&K sounds better than any UST pickup to my ear and is pretty cheap so even a small guitar can sound very nice for your trio with a preamp and EQ.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I've reached a point where I am finding my beloved J45 a bit too big to play without stressing my right shoulder and back. Also, my guitar needs have changed in that I'm playing less in a big ensemble and more in a trio, where volume is becoming less important.

I'm also taking lessons and my teacher is basically trying to have me re-learn both right and left hand technique after what he suggests are 6+ years of learning some bad habits. He has suggested I would have an easier time of it with a smaller instrument.

So............I'm looking for suggestions for maybe an OM size, or Grand Auditorium, that would still provide a "full" sound without that 16" wide, 5" deep lower bout that the J45 and most dreads have.

I'm well aware I will have to spend time in the shops trying them out, I'm just looking for recommendations to try to winnow down what I should be looking at. I am lucky to have the Music Emporium a few miles away from where I live where I will likely go to try and buy.

Then there is budget.........with a child in college, I would like to keep the new purchase under $3000 and preferably under $2500 if possible. I'm also reluctant to consider the boutique brands (if there is anything remotely in my price range) as should I need to sell in the future, I have found Martins/Gibsons/Taylors easier to sell than some of the less well known brands. Your thoughts?
I fully recommend you a Grand Concert guitar from Taylor. Not only is a bit smaller, but the scale is also shorter (24.75).
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-24-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
+2 here to this ^^^. I own both and would agree with everything above (except that I kept my 000-18 as well as the CEO-7) I play my K & K equipped CEO-7 in our duo as a counterpoint to Rokdog's J 45 and it's a sweet combination.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:27 AM

Well, you could go with
  • Gibson L-00
  • Martins OO/OOO-18/28
  • Taylor series 300/400, either xx2/xx4 (aka GC/GA) models
You could find valuable ones on the used market.

Much more affordable (brand new) :
  • Yamaha LS/LL-16
  • Seagull Performer (Godin)

Note : Almost all with 1 3/4" nut width
Old 09-24-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Agreed! Beautiful guitar that looks more like a Gibson, but sounds like a Martin...wait, it doesn't really sound like a Martin either.

I loved mine for sound and look, but didn't dig the neck much. Loud for its size!

If you find a good 000-18 you'd be a happy man.
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion