The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 05:25 PM

Default Guitar Brand Personality Types

This is probably the dumbest thread I've ever made but I thought for some people it might be a funny thing to do. I was thinking today about the sterotypical player of a certain brand and got to thinking, if acoustic guitar brands were humans, what personality/occupation would they have?

For me I was thinking of these:

Gibson: Grumpy plumber, he's been plumbing for ages, still using cast iron and copper because the new materials are crap. He's a good plumber but stuck in his ways, sometimes his work is inconsistent and a little rough around the edges but he's got some loyal customers. Hard to become friends as he thinks he's better than you, but if he lets you in he'll take care of you.

Martin: Martin is a man steeped in tradition, he's pretty blue collar and works at a manufacturing plant, he has a real appreciation for history. He's pretty sure he's the best at the plant as he pioneered a lot of the things done there, he still rides that wave a bit though and it sometimes clouds his judgement and makes it difficult to see that sometimes he makes the wrong choices but he rides it out and keeps going.

Taylor: Taylor is a goody-two-shoes a bit, he's a super nice guy and always has a smile on his face, he's always willing to help a guy out. He's pretty out going, he leads worship at his church and proselytizes on the weekends a bit.
He never swears or drinks, but you can respect him for it because he's such a purely nice guy, almost too good though.

Larrivee: Larrivee is the quiet really smart guy at the back of the class. Doesn't talk much, so he's not super popular but he doesn't get picked on either; in fact he's well respected and liked by his class mates but he keeps fairly quiet and focuses on his work, which is always at the top of his class. He's incredibly consistent, never misses a day and he has a really 'balanced' personality

Guild: Guild is a really tough guy, he's never been popular but he's certainly never been a geek, he's a little edgy at times and was always the hardest working guy at the construction site. You need something built to last, he's your man. He doesn't advertise his business, he likes staying smaller than some of the other companies, but those who know him know, if you know what I mean. He's got a dedicated customer base because frankly he shows up, does the job right and cleans up after he leaves.

Ovation: Major geek in school, went into computer sciences in university. Dresses very strange, you're a little embarrassed to be seen talking to him but at the same times he's just so bloody smart that he often solves your issues.

Yamaha: Yamaha has owned a restaurant for a really long time, everytime you drive by you think it's pretty crappy food because it's so cheap. Finally your buddy and you go there for supper and you realize you've been missing out on some of the best food you've ever had, and their menu is much more extensive than you realized, they even have some tamahawk steaks!

Theres a lot more brands out there but I hadn't thought about the image I have for them!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I have no gripes against the manufacturers. They make guitars, and to me, that is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:19 PM

Taylor is the business built by the founder who achieved success through dedication and hard work but now a couple of brothers have squirmed their way into the firm and are changing things up before they take over in a 'power' play.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Taylor is the business built by the founder who achieved success through dedication and hard work but now a couple of brothers have squirmed their way into the firm and are changing things up before they take over in a 'power' play.

Okay Bruce...I laughed out loud! Thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:

The similarities in these two photos. Lol.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:30 PM

Default Guitar Brand Personality Types

I own/have owned examples of all of the above, as well as Gretsch, Fender, Rickenbacker, Epiphone (USA), Godin, and Ibanez...

The voices in my head haven't bothered me in a few months now, and my shrink says I have a more-centered, more-positive outlook on life lately...

Should I tell her about the banjos...?
Old 09-21-2021, 06:37 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:

Oh, behave!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:06 PM

I think you have too much free time on your hands.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Personality Types?

Mmmm.......

Martin: ISFJ
Gibson: ESFJ
Taylor: ENTJ
Yamaha: INTJ
Guild: ENFP

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:54 AM

I played Ovation in high school and Adamas in college. Biochem major.

Late edit: also very skilled with a graphing calculator and king of the friend zone. (Sigh)

Last edited by s2y; 09-24-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Personality Types?

Mmmm.......

Well played!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
This is probably the dumbest thread I've ever made but I thought for some people it might be a funny thing to do. I was thinking today about the sterotypical player of a certain brand and got to thinking, if acoustic guitar brands were humans, what personality/occupation would they have?

For me I was thinking of these:

Gibson: Grumpy plumber, he's been plumbing for ages, still using cast iron and copper because the new materials are crap. He's a good plumber but stuck in his ways, sometimes his work is inconsistent and a little rough around the edges but he's got some loyal customers. Hard to become friends as he thinks he's better than you, but if he lets you in he'll take care of you.

Martin: Martin is a man steeped in tradition, he's pretty blue collar and works at a manufacturing plant, he has a real appreciation for history. He's pretty sure he's the best at the plant as he pioneered a lot of the things done there, he still rides that wave a bit though and it sometimes clouds his judgement and makes it difficult to see that sometimes he makes the wrong choices but he rides it out and keeps going.

Taylor: Taylor is a goody-two-shoes a bit, he's a super nice guy and always has a smile on his face, he's always willing to help a guy out. He's pretty out going, he leads worship at his church and proselytizes on the weekends a bit.
He never swears or drinks, but you can respect him for it because he's such a purely nice guy, almost too good though.

Larrivee: Larrivee is the quiet really smart guy at the back of the class. Doesn't talk much, so he's not super popular but he doesn't get picked on either; in fact he's well respected and liked by his class mates but he keeps fairly quiet and focuses on his work, which is always at the top of his class. He's incredibly consistent, never misses a day and he has a really 'balanced' personality

Guild: Guild is a really tough guy, he's never been popular but he's certainly never been a geek, he's a little edgy at times and was always the hardest working guy at the construction site. You need something built to last, he's your man. He doesn't advertise his business, he likes staying smaller than some of the other companies, but those who know him know, if you know what I mean. He's got a dedicated customer base because frankly he shows up, does the job right and cleans up after he leaves.

Ovation: Major geek in school, went into computer sciences in university. Dresses very strange, you're a little embarrassed to be seen talking to him but at the same times he's just so bloody smart that he often solves your issues.

Yamaha: Yamaha has owned a restaurant for a really long time, everytime you drive by you think it's pretty crappy food because it's so cheap. Finally your buddy and you go there for supper and you realize you've been missing out on some of the best food you've ever had, and their menu is much more extensive than you realized, they even have some tamahawk steaks!

Theres a lot more brands out there but I hadn't thought about the image I have for them!

Good assessment- great imagination!
Tell us about Gretsch and Alvarez-
Old 09-22-2021, 05:42 AM

I think about how many guitarists made their living playing a J-45, D-18 or D-28 so I think of those as Working guitars. J-45 may be known as the Workhorse but they all are Working guitars.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:39 AM

I don't know anything about what you said, but I would like direction's to the restaurant with the really good cheap tomahawk steaks.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Personality Types?

Mmmm.......

So good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I played Ovation in high school and Adamas in college. Biochem major.
Exactly lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I don't know anything about what you said, but I would like direction's to the restaurant with the really good cheap tomahawk steaks.
Lol, wouldn't everyone

Last edited by Wellington; 09-22-2021 at 09:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion