The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2021, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Some of us older folks may remember this stolen tank in 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6UBW0wrB18
Ha! You beat me to it. Im not that old, but I remember that. I wonder what Jake from State Farm thought when he got calls for those claims?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Yute? In another 40 yrs I'll be 106
Oh, okay. You said you "Having lived on 'The Rock' for 20 years" so I figured you were 20 years old.

Boomer!
Old 09-23-2021, 07:19 AM

There are two types of old guys (and gals). It just dawned in me how my mother and I love messing with both.

She's 89 and just described to my kids a Mini car rally she went to with a new friend as navigator, and suggested they be designated driver for another so she can enjoy an Oktoberfest. For the car rally, she has a Mini Cooper S convertible. She described someone rolling their car, doubling the speed limit, and when it was done having to drive her boyfriend home for 90 more miles of driving.

Both of us love poking at members of our cohort who've become bad about change, fat, and reactionary. The other messing part is the humor of hanging with kids when most of your contemporaries have become so pathetic.

I'm no longer the gear head I once was and hate tracked vehicles unless you need them. I hate the maintenance, or when a track is thrown in a tough place to do a repair.

Too many are tempted to behave poorly with performance vehicles is another issue. We lost a family member to a misbehaving idiot so I encourage being competitive and sporting where and in ways that don't put others at risk.

I'm sure my mother will remain a gear head. She does tests to make sure her sight and mind are strong for her age. She kept the Mini moving into a retirement community, and she's seriously looking at a dual motor EV. I'm sure she'd want to try this tracked machine because she always knew how to double clutch, and in the 1970s would pick us up in the Model A. She's fine with no more V8s because her 4 banger has 300 HP.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
...I'm no longer the gear head I once was and hate tracked vehicles unless you need them...
Where I live, they can be very useful on several levels - guaranteed transportation when the plows don't show up for 4-5 days after a blizzard (common enough in the more semi-rural areas), exploration of some of the boonies out here (there are some really interesting spots that lend themselves well to such a vehicle), and the aforementioned attitude deterrent/remedy...

Trust me, I need one...
Old 09-24-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Where I live, they can be very useful on several levels - guaranteed transportation when the plows don't show up for 4-5 days after a blizzard (common enough in the more semi-rural areas), exploration of some of the boonies out here (there are some really interesting spots that lend themselves well to such a vehicle), and the aforementioned attitude deterrent/remedy...

Trust me, I need one...
It can be funny when people who only know me as the skinny IT and outdoor sports guy find out my early life was machines and trucks. That I'm the one who knows how to get them unstuck or get a track back on.

This is one of a few tracked machines I've had some responsibility for until recently, and the other was my chosen replacement for a Ford F350. Way too many people have their egos messing with what they think they need to drive or they want to play some sort of super trucker or hero.

My issue with attitude when driving is someone with that killed one of our family members. Public roads and places need care and respect.

You would most likely need private land for that machine. The outdoors has been so popular for so long that most public places are going to require a conventional ATV or UTV.

If you are really into this stuff, some steam and threshere clubs now have construction machinery they restore and operate. It's neat stuff if you have some gear head in you. Someone good at finger style guitar probably has it in them to operate old school clutch/brake machines!

We'll be training on snow cat soon.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Buddy of mine was an M60 tank captain during his stint in the Army. He used to muse about how it would be nice on his commute.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Ha! You beat me to it. Im not that old, but I remember that. I wonder what Jake from State Farm thought when he got calls for those claims?
Which Jake from State Farm would that be though?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic