Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Default NCD!

Meet the new additions to my "stable:"
Marty (fluffy) and Gibs (black)
Note Gibs' old-style small burst!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1141.JPG (102.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9139.JPG (86.5 KB, 128 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:20 PM

Very nice! My wife and I are big cat fans,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-21-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Cute kids!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Meet the new additions to my "stable:"
Marty (fluffy) and Gibs (black)
Note Gibs' old-style small burst!
Hearty congrats. Beautiful kittens!
(You'll have to change your handle name to "Catma" )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-21-2021, 07:31 AM

Lost both our cats last summer and miss them a lot.
Congrats on two good lookin' kits!

scott
Old 09-21-2021, 09:43 AM

We have seven, all but one rescued as kittens, We had a feral female who brought her litters to our yard until we managed to trap her and have her spayed by a local cat rescue. The seventh was an older male who we trapped when trying for the female. He took a while to adapt to inside life, but when he was comfortable enough we could pick him up, we had him neutered and now he's a glutton for attention.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:07 AM

They’re terrific! Big cat fans here. We have Carmen, Chaplin, and Finley in our family. All ‘failed fosters’ from those we have had in the house as part of our work with PetConect.org. Enjoy.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-21-2021, 11:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Love the names! I miss cats around here. Hmmm...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:39 PM

Precious! Great names too.

Have they found how comfy it is to sleep in your guitar case yet?
Old 09-21-2021, 01:30 PM

Adorable kittens, indeed. Excellent names.

The last two cats that found us were strays. Sadie showed up as a kitten on the front porch one January morning, and Skeeter (probably about three years old) jumped the back fence one afternoon and most obviously informed us: Here I am. I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited by Inyo; 09-21-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks All. I figured this was the venue where I wouldn't have to explain the names

No guitar case exposure yet though the long-time feline resident "Manchego" climbs in whenever I forget and leave it open.

The newbies are still staying in an upstairs bedroom while the old cat and two Aussies get used to the idea that they are here. I will begin limited exposure intros sometime soon. If any of you multi-cat family folks have suggestions, I would welcome advice. I have the pheromone diffusers and lots of treats and am in no hurry.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

This one's first chance to spend hours at a time outside while I was doing
motorcycle maintenance and able to also supervise her...

-Mike
Old 09-21-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
The newbies are still staying in an upstairs bedroom while the old cat and two Aussies get used to the idea that they are here. I will begin limited exposure intros sometime soon. If any of you multi-cat family folks have suggestions, I would welcome advice. I have the pheromone diffusers and lots of treats and am in no hurry.
I think you are on the right track, i.e. letting the established cats get used to the newbies in measured fashion, and avoiding conditions that could lead to territorial confrontations.
We've done a couple of things when introducing new kitties into the household. With kittens, I used a large dog cage (like the ones in kennels) to house them in the hallway so that they would be directly exposed to the house cats, but never in danger of any direct interaction. There was some sniffing and hissing at first, but they all quickly got used to each other. It worked very well, and it didn't take very long for the kittens to get "adopted" into the household.
I've also isolated the new arrival as you are doing, i.e. in a separate room, but I latched the door in such a way as to let it open a crack so that they could not only smell, but see each other. Again, no possibility of a direct encounter too prematurely, which can set a bad tone or experience that can take a very long time to overcome.
I think the idea is to let the established cats know that they still have the upper hand in the house, while letting them also know that "changes" are coming.
It's a dance, but very doable. If time is on your side, that is the best asset.
I think kittens like these stand an extremely good chance of blending in very well. They look like a great pair.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-21-2021, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

The crate idea is a great one. I will definitely try that after some more protected exposure. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2021, 07:08 AM

With 3 cats of our own and a stream of fosters coming through, we let everyone go to a common door and get used to smells. In addition, we sometimes put cloth items like old shirts and the like under the door for sniffing. Tugging it back and forth can make a game out of it too.

Not to steal the thread, but those who have lost feline friends and are unsure about brining in new permanent members of the family, fostering animals is a possibility. Kittens can be the easiest as they are easy to socialize. However, they can be very difficult to let go of when someone comes to adopt them.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic