The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2021, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Road Trip - 500+ miles of Smoke and no interstate traffic

I drove from San Diego to Grand Junction, CO, today via I-15 and I-70.

When I topped the small pass from Baker, CA, leading into the Mojave Desert, I first thought there was some type of odd inversion going on with the cloud cover. When I got to the desert floor it was smoke, lots of it. It was surreal.

Just this side of the California/Nevada line is the Ivanpah Solar facility. It was cloaked in dark grey smoke, but the light beams cut right through clouds with very little diffusion. The towers looked like they were straight out of the original War of the Worlds movie with death rays emanating out of these giant eyes in a a 360 degree radius.

The smoke was everywhere - the Mojave, Las Vegas, the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona, the highways to Zion and Bryce canyons. It was still with me 200 miles north when I turned east onto I-70 at Cove Fort. As I reached higher altitudes in Central Utah the smoke dissipated a bit and some sunshine reached the ground. The sunset in Grand Junction was a dull red ball in the sky.

Driving east on I-70 was another trip. I noticed that there was very little traffic in both directions so I started counting cars. I did four three-mile stretches in different sections and got the following number of cars is a three-mile stretch. 1st - 9. 2nd - 13. 3rd - 10. 4th - 5.

At the same time I started counting tractor trailer rigs. In the 160 mile stretch between Green River and Cove Fort there were 31 westbound rigs. In that same stretch I passed 9 eastbound rigs.

Well, that's it for now.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 08-07-2021, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I drove from San Diego to Grand Junction, CO, today via I-15 and I-70.

When I topped the small pass from Baker, CA, leading into the Mojave Desert, I first thought there was some type of odd inversion going on with the cloud cover. When I got to the desert floor it was smoke, lots of it. It was surreal.

Just this side of the California/Nevada line is the Ivanpah Solar facility. It was cloaked in dark grey smoke, but the light beams cut right through clouds with very little diffusion. The towers looked like they were straight out of the original War of the Worlds movie with death rays emanating out of these giant eyes in a a 360 degree radius.

The smoke was everywhere - the Mojave, Las Vegas, the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona, the highways to Zion and Bryce canyons. It was still with me 200 miles north when I turned east onto I-70 at Cove Fort. As I reached higher altitudes in Central Utah the smoke dissipated a bit and some sunshine reached the ground. The sunset in Grand Junction was a dull red ball in the sky.

Driving east on I-70 was another trip. I noticed that there was very little traffic in both directions so I started counting cars. I did four three-mile stretches in different sections and got the following number of cars is a three-mile stretch. 1st - 9. 2nd - 13. 3rd - 10. 4th - 5.

At the same time I started counting tractor trailer rigs. In the 160 mile stretch between Green River and Cove Fort there were 31 westbound rigs. In that same stretch I passed 9 eastbound rigs.

Well, that's it for now.
Is this a script from one of those netflix mini series?
Old 08-08-2021, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Man, you put on some miles!

I am in Grand Junction now, on a winery tour with some friends. The sun is just now coming up, illuminating the very dim outline of the mesa to the east. The smoke is really bad. My eyes are still burning from being outside in it yesterday.

The scenery around here is really spectacular- too bad I can't see it.

1981 Guild D-46
2015 Alvarez-Yairi DYMR70SB
2020 Edmonds D-18
Old 08-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Sunrise in Grand Junction. 20210808_064627.jpg

1981 Guild D-46
2015 Alvarez-Yairi DYMR70SB
2020 Edmonds D-18
Old 08-08-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

A couple of weeks ago we were vacationing in the Colorado mountains at 8,500 feet. About 20 minutes south of I-70. The air was hazy every day. It looked more like the smoky mountains than Colorado mountains. I thought the traffic was on the light side judging from past experiences.
Collings 001 T

Just another guitar playing hack
Old 08-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Guest 928

Cypress;

If you come back the same way, check out Mystic Springs at Monroe just off 70. You can get on line and check it out, but the experience is even better. It's an old lodge purchased by the videographer for the Grateful Dead. There are hippy busses and cabins for rent, hot tubs rolling off the hill, and lots of music by groups coming in for videos. If nothing else, worth a stop and a look. There may be smoke...............

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic