The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Well - I drove up to Petaluma today, as it was the last opportunity to try the “Bluegrass Tool” before it left for its permanent home - plus, I was told there was cake -

And yes, the cake was fantastic (big birthday cake fan!). But even more important - I got a chance to play both of the bluegrass dreads that he recently finished up. I started with the non-mahogany - Bruce’s unique take on a D18 - and it was fantastic. Aesthetically, the figure in the wood is completely beyond what the camera can capture - the depth and color, and the way it is almost a perfect mirror match, and with the curly koa purflings and rosette, it is a truly gorgeous guitar. But when you play it - it has a clear dry tone with just the right depth of woodiness. It is by any measure the absolute best D18 style I’ve ever played - and at just a few days old, it’s hard to imagine how much more it’s gonna be in 10, or 20 years. Bruce says its so good, he’s not gonna sell it, but keep it for his personal guitar - which in itself is pretty unusual - but so far anyone who’s tried its first question is, “How much?”. I was pretty convinced it might be the best Sexauer I’d heard - or at least, the best dread - but then I put it down and he hands me the “Bluegrass Tool” -

First look - the braz rw on this guitar is some of the finest I’ve seen - the color, the grain, and the subtle flame in this set of outstandingly quartersawn material is the stuff dreams are made of. He paired it with an adirondack top that may be the most perfect I’ve seen - perfect qs, with medullary in beautiful display all the way to the very edges, and zero runout. Cocobolo sapwood bindings, in a pale grey, offset the colors of the top and sides perfectly. The understated elegance of the guitar is stunning. But then you strum it - and the guitar responds beautifully. The lightest touch makes the notes jump off the guitar, but you dig in, and it never breaks up - the tone is wrapped onto the volume like inseparable twins, rich and resonant and beautifully balanced at any level. Light finger picking, or heavy attack with a pick, and the guitar sounds incredible. It truly blows the doors off some of the best dreads I’ve ever heard. Shame to consider it a “Bluegrass” guitar, because it could be purely the best rw dread I’ve heard for any style of playing -

But - its new owner came by, and away it went, making one person happy beyond their wildest expectation - or maybe, 2, since now my wife doesn’t have to worry about me trying to afford it - ;-)

Can’t wait for the weather to improve and I can spend more time up with Bruce playing some of those other guitars I can’t have!
Tad, knowing your familiarity with Bruce’s work, that is high praise indeed! I would LOVE to get to play that 18-ish dread...I can’t even imagine how good it must be! Especially if Bruce is keeping it! Glad you got to experience both of these masterpieces!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I’ve heard Bruce say similar with a few new builds - especially his “spec” builds, where he gets to build and design things to fit his tastes rather than meeting the expectations of buyers. These speculative builds are more “pure Sexauer”, not collaborations, and I find them to be extra special in a number of ways. I hate to say it, but some custom build specs seem more about aesthetic ego satisfaction than creating a premium musical instrument. But after playing things a little while, he’ll get a bug to try something else, a different size, different materials, maybe even an entirely different instrument ( he makes some nice violins and ukuleles too ) and someone will get lucky and take this one home. It’s a very special form of GAS, better called GBS - guitar building syndrome - which great luthiers seem to be uniquely afflicted with. As soon as one’s done, they just can’t not think about the next one they want to build. If I can remember how he put it some years ago, he’s in the business of building and selling instruments, not owning them - and that works for me!
Old 03-19-2021, 08:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Be careful what you wish for! I got into this racket so I could have a better guitar than I could afford. Now I have several better instruments than I can afford. I bet a number of you can relate.

I own 3 dreds I made. All are very good. As it happens, I prefer an 18 to a 28. But if someone wants my 18 more than I do, it's not like I'm left out in the cold.

The two 28's I have are top drawer EIR, and they are less than half the price of the one I delivered yesterday. I can hardly believe I still have them. What's wrong with you people?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:54 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVE View Post
Images are broken
I'm having the same problem though others are not. Don't know what changed but since Bruce started his '21 chapter I can't see pics
Old 03-20-2021, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I'm having the same problem though others are not. Don't know what changed but since Bruce started his '21 chapter I can't see pics
I hacked into your system and found you are using Chrome. Use a different browser. There are other work arounds and Tom Bowersox knows where to find them earlier in my AGF historical threads.

Teasing about my hacking skills, which are non-existent.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I made pages for the two recently completed D size guitars, and as long as you're not using Chrome as a browser (apparently) you can now see them on my website.

The BlueGrass Tool. (BRW commissioned piece)

The BlueGrass Fool. (not-Mahogany and in stock)
Old 03-20-2021, 06:25 PM

Chrome works just fine on your website pictures. The problem lies with your photos being http while the AGF is set for https which causes a security issue with chrome.

I use chrome and can view your website photos perfectly fine, but can not see them on the AGF.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Chrome works just fine on your website pictures. The problem lies with your photos being http while the AGF is set for https which causes a security issue with chrome.

I use chrome and can view your website photos perfectly fine, but can not see them on the AGF.
I had assumed you made the adjustment you have pointed out a couple of times in the past, posted by another member. I do not expect to jump through the hoops required to readjust my entire website. I may just fade away, slowly, I hope. I am pleased to hear that my website is still visible.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Smile Amazingly...

Amazing but it works for me.... on my slow seven year old iPad.

Let's see if I can insert pics for ya. Worth a try!

Beautiful instruments

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

IMG_7019.jpgIMG_7020.jpg

Yum! Hope it is not gooped with birthday cake frosting... the pics are WAY BETTER on Bruce's website. Sigh...

Hahaha

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I had assumed you made the adjustment you have pointed out a couple of times in the past, posted by another member. I do not expect to jump through the hoops required to readjust my entire website. I may just fade away, slowly, I hope. I am pleased to hear that my website is still visible.
I did for sure, but bought my old laptop crashed so had to get a new one and can not do the same work around.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

My next few builds are all pretty much OM's, as was this last one. Some are normal, but most are MultiScale and/or asymmetric. They all still fit an OM's dimensions close enough to fit in a Martin case and it will appear to be right, though.

Here's the latest as I'm about to install the bulk of the peone.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:47 AM

Default How to see images on Chrome

Bruce's photos and shared knowledge are the main reason I visit AGF. It is just wonderful content.

I have recently had the same problem that others report and I found a fix that works reliably for me on recent versions of Chrome (currently at 89):

1. In the upper left, at the leftmost side of address bar there is a little icon which may look like a padlock or a warning sign.

2. Click on this icon. A menu will come up. Click on Site Settings (gear icon).

3. It will take you to a Settings tab with a list of Permissions for acousticguitarforum.com. Scroll down until you see "Insecure Content".

4. When I did this, it said "Insecure Content: Block (default)". If you click on Block it will show you 2 choices: Block and Allow.

5. Change to "Allow". Close the Settings tab and reload AGF.

Last edited by dotbot; 03-26-2021 at 07:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Or - don’t use Chrome. Its been a resource hog, allows Google to access a great deal of personal data and numerous groups have expressed serious privacy concerns. I’ve had no problems with Safari -
Old 03-26-2021, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Historically, I used Netscape, then Mozilla, then Firefox, and now Safari. Safari has been 100% w/o issues for several years. I still use Netscape "Communicator" for webpage construction! I keep a copy of VMware Fusion and run XP to do this.

Here are a few pics of my current build, another FT-15-C-JB/2, which I closed today:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop