The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I’m about 8 episodes into Designated Survivor on Netflix starring Kiefer Sutherland of “24” fame and find it highly interesting and compelling. Pretty “family friendly” so far too, no gratuitous sex, profanity or up close and personal violence. I really like it and can recommend it. The episodes are tight and well written and always keep you coming back for me.
Yeah, the first season of Designated Survivor was really good. By season 3 it had started to slip a bit, not as sharply focused. But by all means, keep watching - you might have an entirely different take on it than me.

I finally got to watch season 4 of Fargo, and while I'll agree with the general consensus that maybe it was a little less brilliant than earlier seasons, it was still a lot better than 90% of the junk on TV. There's supposed to be a final season 5 in the works, maybe for 2023. You can bet I'll be watching!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Nothing as dramatic as everyone else it seems. I'm watching a show on Prime called Cruising the Cut. It has to be one of the most boringly interesting shows on tv. This guy named David Johns has a narrow boat and he is cruising the canals in Great Britain. Absolutely nothing happens. You pretty much just watch the countryside go by. Sometimes he goes through a lock. I make up a cup of tea, pull a quilt over myself and I feel like I'm there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 09-24-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Nothing as dramatic as everyone else it seems. I'm watching a show on Prime called Cruising the Cut. It has to be one of the most boringly interesting shows on tv. This guy named David John's has a narrow boat and he is cruising the canals in Great Britain. Absolutely nothing happens. You pretty much just watch the countryside go by. Sometimes he goes through a lock. I make up a cup of tea, pull a quilt over myself and I feel like I'm there.
I just watched the first episode of Cruising the Cut rl and I really like it, very relaxing, scenic, peaceful and a welcome respite from the depressing news. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just watched the first episode of Cruising the Cut rl and I really like it, very relaxing, scenic, peaceful and a welcome respite from the depressing news. Thanks for the tip!
That’s hilarious! I hadn’t heard of Cruising the Cut, but did watch 6 seasons of Travels by Narrowboat and couldn’t believe we liked it. Goofy, but relaxing and interesting in its own way. Same general theme and the guy (Kevin) is a character. He plays guitar!
https://www.amazon.com/Travels-by-Na.../dp/B07NXQG5HB

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 09-24-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:48 AM

I just saw that Goliath season 4 popped up today on AmazonPrime Canada. I had already watched the first three seasons so now I'm starting S4. Billy Bob Thornton did a great job in this series.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I just saw that Goliath season 4 popped up today on AmazonPrime Canada. I had already watched the first three seasons so now I'm starting S4. Billy Bob Thornton did a great job in this series.
Just saw the pop up advertisement by Amazon up a few minutes ago myself Dru. Definitely put that on my watchlist. Goliath is an excellent series, and ol’ Billy Bob, he’s one of those guys that, for me anyway, always makes whatever he is in worth watching. The first three seasons were awesome.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Just saw the pop up advertisement by Amazon up a few minutes ago myself Dru. Definitely put that on my watchlist. Goliath is an excellent series, and ol’ Billy Bob, he’s one of those guys that, for me anyway, always makes whatever he is in worth watching. The first three seasons were awesome.
I became a Billy Bob Thornton fan when I watched the tv show Fargo a couple of years ago. And then I found Goliath and he does a great job.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:50 PM

Anyone else watching Korean series Squid Game? It’s sadistic and horrific but I’m loving it.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Anyone else watching Korean series Squid Game? It’s sadistic and horrific but I’m loving it.
Watching now!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Nothing as dramatic as everyone else it seems. I'm watching a show on Prime called Cruising the Cut. It has to be one of the most boringly interesting shows on tv. This guy named David Johns has a narrow boat and he is cruising the canals in Great Britain. Absolutely nothing happens. You pretty much just watch the countryside go by. Sometimes he goes through a lock. I make up a cup of tea, pull a quilt over myself and I feel like I'm there.
Thank you! Just looked it up & it's free with my amazon prime membership
Old 09-29-2021, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Mrs. Tinnitus and I only watch shows we've previously recorded (or series with plenty of episodes stored up) so we can pause for breaks and zoom past commercials. Thus, we can forget about them for days/weeks, or binge when we feel like it.

Lots of reality based murder and mayhem - because we're constantly amazed (titillated?) by what devious, depraved stuff people actually think they might get away with. In that vein, a series we keep going back to is Homicide Hunter with Detective Lt. Joe Kenda. The series follows one or two murder cases in a one-hour episode - and he's got plenty to share with close to 400 solved.

His audiobook I Will Find You is excellent, and I just recommended his new one Killer Triggers for the library to acquire.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-30-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
My wife and I just finished watching the 5th season of Peaky Blinders (A good series, but we'll have to wait for the season 6 finale to finish production apparently) last night and we're both looking forward to starting season 4 of Goliath tonight. Like Wadcutter, we feel like Billy Bob Thornton's one of those actors that makes whatever he's in worth watching. First time I ever saw him was in the movie Sling Blade. Still, one of my favorite movies.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-30-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I thought Contact with Jody Foster was a great movie. I think I'll give The Expanse a go. Might be a couple of weeks before I put it on.
Hmmm…this Expanse business sounds like it might even work with my husband (who hates almost all sci-fi, while loving The Martian, or Contact types of films).

I just watched the first episode of Foundation and I must say that the cinematography knocked me on my butt. I have never seen any made-for-tv sci-fi so richly realized. The story is good, if not a little technical (not really, but some might be put off by too much math talk…when it’s actually very light on that side). Non-linear storyline might put some off, too, I guess.

I’m not all that into series, but this is looking mighty wonderful and I just might stick with it. Recommended for sci-fi fans.

Old 09-30-2021, 02:18 PM

Started season 2 of "Westworld" last night.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Hmmm…this Expanse business sounds like it might even work with my husband (who hates almost all sci-fi, while loving The Martian, or Contact types of films).

I just watched the first episode of Foundation and I must say that the cinematography knocked me on my butt. I have never seen any made-for-tv sci-fi so richly realized. The story is good, if not a little technical (not really, but some might be put off by too much math talk…when it’s actually very light on that side). Non-linear storyline might put some off, too, I guess.

I’m not all that into series, but this is looking mighty wonderful and I just might stick with it. Recommended for sci-fi fans.

I've never heard of The Foundation so I googled it. It just came out last week. I didn't even know Apple TV+ was producing shows. Let us know what you think after Episode 2.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic