The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but I ended up a little disappointed. A writer makes a promise with a story’s build-up and, in this case, I felt the pay off was a little lacking. With S. King, I can accept that sort of thing if the “voice” is good enough (think “Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut” for voice) — however I didn’t get there with this book.

Anyway, I’m off to the races with another King book, “Later” and it’s shaping up nicely…definitely enjoying it so far.

I read "Later" a few months ago. Later was better than Billy Summers but not as good as the previous novel "the Institute".
Old 09-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Old 09-19-2021, 01:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I am still on a short vacation from the 20,000 foot view of Winston Churchills The Second World War series and going down to the trenches, as it were, sort of like Stephen Ambrose did when he finished The Supreme Commander and wrote Wild Blue and Band of Brothers to return to the rank and file small units of the war.

So, anyway, I just re-read Adam Makos' excellent A Higher Call about the veteran German Ace who, one December day in 1943, decided to spare the lives of an American B-17 crew who were limping back to England after receiving some of the worst damage imaginable to their plane over Germany.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM
Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I wanted something light and I stumbled on The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson. He always makes me laugh. Loved his book on hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I read "Later" a few months ago. Later was better than Billy Summers but not as good as the previous novel "the Institute".
Yes! “Later” was way better than “Billy Summers”—much more like “Doctor Sleep” and “The Institute”. I really enjoyed it.

I’ve just started “Consider Phlebas” by Iain M. Banks. This book was mentioned just a little up thread and reminded me that I’ve been wanting to read a big, sprawling space opera for a while now. I think this could be just the thing.

(The last sci-fi book I read was “Hyperion” by Dan Simmons, who has other books I enjoyed, but I ended up setting this one aside and never got back to finishing it. Something left me cold, style-wise, I think…possibly unhappy memories of studying Chaucer once upon a time.)

Hopefully this will be a different story (assuredly!).

ETA: I forgot—the actual last sci-fi book I read was Adrian Tchaikovsky's “Children of Time”, about the evolution of a race of intelligent spiders. Not bad at all.

Last edited by Aimelie; 09-23-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 AM

Following my usual MO of finding a writer I like and then reading everything they ever wrote, earlier in this thread I mentioned I was reading Rachael Maddow's Bagman (about a bad politician doing bad things).

Followed that up with Drift (bad defense industry people doing bad things) and just finished her latest, Blowout (bad oil industry people doing bad things).

All pretty good books if you enjoy that muckraker exposé type thing, but thank goodness she only has the three books! I need a break from this stuff!

Next up, taking Mr Eastwood’s advice and checking out Stephen Walker’s Beyond. Sounds like a good read.
Old Today, 08:39 AM

I just finished Vonnegut's Sitens of Titan. I girstvread it on 1974. Didn't Ike it as much 46 years later.
Next will be Philip K. Dick.
Old Today, 09:07 AM

Just started John Grisham's The Whistler- good so far, which is not unusual for Grisham

My Youtube channel

"I" will survive

K.I.S.S.

Current favorites in my guitarsenal. (subject to change )

LAG T118 ACE
LAG T70A
Martin 00017
Martin 0015M
Orangewood Ava (acoustic only with Torriefied spruce top)
Gretsch 5420 (Alpine Green)
Old Today, 01:41 PM

Circe by Madeline Miller. So far, so very good.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic