The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Default Healthy string tension for ladder bracing

Just curious what gauge/type of strings you guys are putting on your ladder braced boxes. I have a 000 sovereign that seems to barely tolerate Martin PB 11s, but I just strung up a 48 LG-1 with D’Addario 80/20 12s and it doesn’t seem to be causing any issues at all. Maybe it is the shorter scale length on the Gibson ? Or maybe I’m just rolling the dice for top issues.

(I decided to post this in the “Build and a repair” section instead but don’t know how to remove it from this forum section. Whoops ��)

Last edited by FaxMachine; 09-26-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:53 PM

I believe part of the issue for ladder-braced guitars is that, unlike their x-braced brethren, their bracing doesn't really reinforce the top along the neck-to-heel dimension, just side-to-side, so string tension can, over time, pull the bridge up in a pronounced belly.

I tend to keep my Gibson LG-0 strung with lights, partly out of caution but also because I use lights on most of my guitars anyway. You may well be able to get away with 12s on that LG-1, who knows.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 09-26-2021, 01:02 PM

Elephony, by lights what gauge are you referring to. The D’Addario 80/20 12s are marketed as lights. But that may not be the same for all brands across the board.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I use GHS 50-11s on my ladder braced guitars. Mine are so responsive that the strings that I use work just fine. I don't see any reason to change.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-30-2021, 08:17 PM

I use 12-53's on my '20's Maybell ladder braced parlor. Bear in my though, that it's scale length is 24". It seems happy with the lights. Depending on scale length, you may want a little lighter gauge. See what you like best, and monitor what the guitar tells you it likes. Strings are cheap. HTH, Bill
Old 09-30-2021, 09:41 PM

For light built guitars like a 40-50's LG-1, I think 11's might be better. I had a 54 LG-1 and it did a slight dishing around the treble side of sound hole. Same for a kalamazoo KG-12, it was even worse.

But a modern ladder waterloo, I would not worry about it unless it was the WL-K which they recommend max of 11's. Some of the old 20-30's chicago made ladder braced guitars, I used ex-lights, specifically DR Rares, as they have a touch less tension than comparable gauges in other brands.

But it is really up to you and how comfortable you are with stressing the guitar, an old LG-1 might be getting due for a neck reset as well. If you have a trusted luthier that is good with old guitars, then show them the guitar and get a pro recommendation is best plan.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:32 PM

Hi Fax,on your, I assume Harmony Sovereign 000, how does it respond to strings bigger than 11's? It should handle 12's easily, and if it doesn't like them, what does it do? If you think the bridge is bellying excessively, I'ld check for a loose brace or two. The glue Harmony typically used [the reddish stuff], is prone to fail and come loose. If the braces are tight, I don't get excited over a bulging belly[I have one!], a gently rounded belly is no cause for concern with me.
I owned a Fraulini Erma at one time, and I contacted Todd Cambio about the safety of using medium[13's] on the guitar. He wasn't too concerned for the structural soundness of the guitar, but assured me that in his opinion, the guitar sounded better with strings no larger than 12's. If your guitar is in healthy physical condition, I would choose the strings that sounded best to you and not worry to much about the belly. HTH, Bill
Old 10-01-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco1 View Post
...If the braces are tight, I don't get excited over a bulging belly...
Hey, works for me - and to paraphrase Sophia Loren, everything you see I owe to Budweiser...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion