The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I am very close to ordering one. Do you think cedar is a big enough departure from the typical sitka/hog combo in an OM? I have a Martin OM with cherry and a OM-15 all hog, so I obviously don't need another OM, but I'm thinking cedar might fill a different niche.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I am very close to ordering one. Do you think cedar is a big enough departure from the typical sitka/hog combo in an OM? I have a Martin OM with cherry and a OM-15 all hog, so I obviously don't need another OM, but I'm thinking cedar might fill a different niche.
I have a LAG T118ACE which has a cedar top and a Martin 00015M all mahogany- the LAG body is only 3 1/4 in deep and that might account for the difference I hear, plus it is painted black- I also have several different brands spruce with mahogany b and s- The LAG, at least at this point in time, has become a favorite- admittedly, I have Martin Monel 11-52 strings tuned down a whole step and use a capo, but the sound I hear is different from the 00015M- more refined/defined maybe? I like the Martin, but the LAG blows me away, especially considering it cost under 500 bucks!

One of the reasons the Eastman is now on my list is because of the cedar top. I like to be different - and, and, and! it has open tuners which I am a sucker for!

I'm pretty sure I will get one. It;s a matter of when, not if.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I found this on you tube- there is, to me, a noticeable difference- oh lord, I shouldn't have looked that up

Old 09-24-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I guess my main question is , would a guitar with cedar/sapele be a bigger departure from sitka/hog than a guitar with sitka/rosewood. I'm looking for one more git for variety sake, and I've heard some say the difference in hog and RW (B&S) isn't that big especially from the audience perspective. So I'm thinking maybe this little Eastman would be the ticket for something really different.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:24 AM

I have an e2-om. It's a good sounding guitar.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I guess my main question is , would a guitar with cedar/sapele be a bigger departure from sitka/hog than a guitar with sitka/rosewood. I'm looking for one more git for variety sake, and I've heard some say the difference in hog and RW (B&S) isn't that big especially from the audience perspective. So I'm thinking maybe this little Eastman would be the ticket for something really different.
It's a pretty safe bet that it sounds different from anything you have listed in your sig.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-24-2021, 04:12 PM

My T118 sounds different than anything I have- it has a cedar top- like I said, it seems more refined than the 00015M- it's not as orchestral as my Washburn or as loud as my 00017Martin- I have an Orangewood Ava as well and it sounds better than it does too- for the price, if you're curious you can't hardly go wrong, IMO- it has moved to the top of my want list because it is cedar and inexpensive- plus it has open tuners- if it sounds like my LAG IDK what I'll do- but, I'm not in a big hurry..... yet
Old 09-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Well, trigger has been pulled. My new e2om-cd should arrive this week. I’m hoping this one as well as a few others I’ve acquired recently, like a d-18, should relieve my gas for the time being. Now to offload a few others!
Old 09-26-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Well, trigger has been pulled. My new e2om-cd should arrive this week. I’m hoping this one as well as a few others I’ve acquired recently, like a d-18, should relieve my gas for the time being. Now to offload a few others!
OKee- dokee- tick, tock!
Old 09-27-2021, 08:15 AM

Please, a full report upon receipt.

Now, the wait…..

FMB.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I will for sure. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I know I shouldn't be that excited about such an inexpensive guitar, but I'm pretty giddy. An Eastman , all solid, and cedar top with short scale and 1.75" nut? Might be moving my Recording Kings and a Martin or two if it's really nice.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I will for sure. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I know I shouldn't be that excited about such an inexpensive guitar, but I'm pretty giddy. An Eastman , all solid, and cedar top with short scale and 1.75" nut? Might be moving my Recording Kings and a Martin or two if it's really nice.
Hehehehehehe- awesome!
Old 09-30-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default it's here!

First of all, I apologize for highjacking the OP's thread. But at least we're talking about the same guitar. It arrived last night and had a chance to look it over and give it my preferred setup. Saddle needed lowering, a tweak on the truss rod, and a few nut slots needed lowering. While doing that I noticed the nut probably needs to be replaced with a wider one. It looks like they put on a 1 11/16ths nut. See the pics. Overall the fingerboard is narrower than my other OMs. But after measuring and playing it for a bit, I can live with it once the 1.75" nut is installed. But as-is I've been picking it and strumming and I can say it is a nice little git. Very big sound for an OM.
I had a chance to compare it with my Martins. It's got the same volume and depth as my OM-15, but my SWOMGT has an even deeper, bigger sound.
The E2OM-CD does has a different tone: more airy, less direct, and brighter. It seems to live in the mids more so than bass and treble, but the mids are clearer than my other guitars, so it's a nice change of pace and I think this one will find a place in my stable.
I compared it to my RO-T16 which is my current beater, and they are actually pretty close in sound. Maybe the adirondack on the T16 gives it a clean sound like the cedar on the E2. I won't be selling off the T16 but it will remain my beater while the E2 will be beater number 2. The E2 is definitely beyond my other Recording Kings which I'll probably sell off now.
Way too many guitars at this point but the E2 is a nice little addition. If I could change anything it'd be to make the fingerboard wider - about 1/16th at the nut and 1/8th at the body, but it's still satisfactory as it is.
The fingerboard is very similar to Taylor, even the edge bevel. The quality of the woods is crazy good. The Sapele is some of the best looking I've seen, even though it does have some knots which are actually pretty cool.
Okay , enough talk, need to go play now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (30.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (36.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2053.jpg (30.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2051.jpg (36.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:52 AM

I don't consider you hi-jacking the thread- I'm just glad someone (besides me) got some good from my wants
Old 10-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Alright one more interesting point. Some family came over today and I was letting them hear my new D-18. They all liked it. Then I strummed the E2OM-CD. They commented on how good it sounded as well and maybe it was a tad better than the d-18. I had to agree, the Eastman is dang impressive!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion