The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardouzie View Post
All this whining for a few pick guard scuffs? What do you plan on doing with a guitar after you buy it... aside from adding a few pick guard scuffs?

Everyone wants brick and mortars around to try before you buy... do you expect the inventory has been brought in for your exclusive perview? What do you suppose happens to the guitars that you decide aren't for you? Recycled?

I think you place too much faith in the ethics of sales people... If you like the guitar buy it. Or order one online, and hope for the best.
I guess you didn't read my post or maybe I wasn't clear enough...so, my bad. I said "MANY" not a "few" strum marks and then there was the buckle rash on this brand new, out of the box, you are the very first one to play it guitar.

I also mentioned that it doesn't have to be pristine, I would buy a guitar with marks on it, just adjust the price accordingly based on the condition it's in that day. In fact, I'm completely open to and hoping to find, a nice used guitar...marks and all.

I also thought by mentioning I want to "try before buying", that inferred I would be buying in store, if I found one that I liked. I don't use music stores as a testing ground to buy online.

Lastly, no, I don't think their inventory is for my perview...but it is a music store, I think they understand you may want to touch or even strum something before you you buy it.

Oh, the associate in question, he was there the previous visit...he rung up the strings I bought that day...clearly, he didn't remember me.

If this turns out to be the guitar I want, I will buy absolutely buy it...I'll just ask for more than that twenty bucks off he mentioned.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 09-25-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Funny thing about this topic. I, like many consumers, dislike being lied to. What I dislike almost as much is being tap danced to, as most times it is quite obvious. I'd much rather ask a question and be told "I don't know but I'll find out".
I can count on none of the fingers of either hand the number of times I've been given this honest answer. I could put the BS that was intended to serve as answers in a bushel basket. It would be lovely to hear this honesty.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-25-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I would’ve mentioned the fact that I wasn’t the first to touch it, and point out the obvious wear marks. Salespeople need to be called out on their bs. Only way to keep them honest.
I think that's pretty unfair.

That suggests that all salespeople are inherently dishonest, and I don't believe that for a second...
Old 09-25-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
I think that's pretty unfair.

That suggests that all salespeople are inherently dishonest, and I don't believe that for a second...

Didn’t mean to generalize everyone. I meant those caught lying to your face.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Well, it's true that the Breedlove company is from Oregon... I don't see any problem with that.

And I'm fairly confident that lower end Breedloves, like the Atlas series, didn't come with cases. So, it's possible that the sales guy was just wrong, and the manager gave you a free case.

And it's also possible that you just heard what you wanted to hear, and that nobody lied to you.
Interesting reply.

I haven’t said or implied that there was anything wrong with what I was told about Breedlove. On this, we agree.

Curiously, you’ve disputed the veracity of the only aspects of my story that are objectively verifiable to a reader that, like you, wasn’t there and doesn’t know any of the people involved. Whatever your degree of confidence regarding the inclusion of a hardshell case, it is unmerited idle speculation and objectively false. It’s not a matter of opinion. The AD20/SR Plus came with a Breedlove Deluxe hardshell case in 2006.

I was given contradictory information at the store and didn’t believe the manager, so I looked it up when I got home. If at some point thereafter it changed to a gig bag, and when that change would have occurred, I don’t know. I simply verified the matter of an included hardshell case on the same day that I bought the guitar.

“Fairly confident” is not worth much if you’re unfamiliar with the model and series as it existed in 2006, and didn’t bother to inquire, as I did back in 2006. Who’s in a better position to know, between us? The AD20 SR/Plus was higher up in the Atlas Series. I don’t remember how much lower in the line that the deluxe case was included in 2006. But, there’s a pattern that has become all too familiar. My Guild D-125 came with a nice hardshell case back in 2014. Now, a gig bag. Speculative assumptions presuming continuity with respect to included accessories like a case on higher quality imports of that era is an easy source of error. Here, your erroneous assumption (“lower end” and therefore no case) led to to a spurious conclusion (sales guy wrong and manager actually gave me a case).

The sequence of events is as I said it was. You’re reading what you want into my story. That’s fine. Why let the facts get in the way of YOUR story.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 09-26-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:48 PM

I always do at least a little research on an item I am considering to purchase.

I will listen to the sales person and then ask about something I found out during my research. If I get a bunch of hooey I will move on. When you get to my age your bs detector is a little more in tune.

If I get an honest answer, like I haven't heard that or you are correct but this is what is being done. We can talk, may purchase a different brand or model but by being up front, I take stock in that.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 09-25-2021, 04:11 PM

I do not mind what they say... I make my own mind.
Should I wish to buy, I would use the "demo" marks to try to negotiate a lower price.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I do not mind what they say... I make my own mind.
Should I wish to buy, I would use the "demo" marks to try to negotiate a lower price.
Meh, if I walked up to the counter and they tried to give me a guitar other than the one I had been demoing, I would likely be a little irritated. Those strum marks are there because we all want to try before we buy, and when I demo a guitar I like... I want to buy THAT guitar, not one just like it. Unless its in the relm of dents and finish damage I couldnt care less.

IMO the day I get wound up about a few strum marks and finger prints is the day I can no longer expect the dealer let me sit there for a couple hours and devalue half the guitars in the showroom.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:54 AM

Wow. Of course intentional deceit is wrong, but this is a mighty righteous crowd here!

Is it possible that the OP would have been the first CUSTOMER to play the guitar? Or that there may have been some other, non-nefarious explanation, e.g. maybe the rep was confusing it with a different guitar in the store?
Old 09-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
Sales does not 100% correlate with dishonesty -- this is a practice that is perpetuated by an unethical minority of the sales associates I have interacted with.
While it's certainly prudent to be on your guard when dealing with anyone who is working to separate you from your money, I definitely agree with the above statement.

I work closely with my company's sales team, and one thing that I've learned is smart salespeople play the long game. I've witnessed my colleagues advise clients to buy a less expensive product than the one they initially inquired about because the more expensive one won't suit their needs as well as the less expensive one.

Building a trusted relationship with your clients is the secret to a successful sales career.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

Last edited by beatcomber; 09-26-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I guess if I went into a store and I thought that the sales associate was jerking me around I wouldn't make it into a big deal, I would just leave. In fact I've done just that many times. Pretty simple, I just don't have time for it. I've got more going on in my life than making a stand over a guitar. I'm pretty good at moving on past things like that and not dwelling on them.

Also, if I go to a store and there is a sales associate that I like, I ask them what their schedule is and make sure that I come back when they are there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion