The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You are probably right! I am sure that Martin was also somewhat hesitant to put too much into this model before they really knew how successful it would be.
Right.. also keeping it under $1500.. they had to compromise somewhere.

Man, the $199 that I spent on the Anthem SL is an amazing value and upgrade.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:50 PM

Thanks Jake for that detailed response with the pics. Was there any part of this that was “tricky” ? Was there any difference in the under-saddle strips sizes? Did the Anthem raise or lower the action at all? Did you have enough wire when you cut them to reach where they had to go?

Did the anthem make a big difference in your amplified tone? I thought you were happy with the sound of the original pickup?
Old 09-25-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Right.. also keeping it under $1500.. they had to compromise somewhere.

Man, the $199 that I spent on the Anthem SL is an amazing value and upgrade.
Jake please see my questions in my prior response above. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thanks Jake for that detailed response with the pics. Was there any part of this that was “tricky” ? Was there any difference in the under-saddle strips sizes? Did the Anthem raise or lower the action at all? Did you have enough wire when you cut them to reach where they had to go?

Did the anthem make a big difference in your amplified tone? I thought you were happy with the sound of the original pickup?

Was there any part of this that was “tricky” ?
It's was a very straight forward de-install > Install

Was there any difference in the under-saddle strips sizes?
Did the Anthem raise or lower the action at all?

Honestly, I didn't even look. Guitar plays and feels the same.

Did you have enough wire when you cut them to reach where they had to go?
Absolutely, way more than enough .. no worries

All in all, the Anthem is an excellent upgrade for this guitar and the amplified tone is significantly better! No question.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations to both of you. It’s about time that someone makes the sc-13 into the really great stage guitar that it has had the potential to be!!
Old 09-28-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Was there any part of this that was “tricky” ?
It's was a very straight forward de-install > Install

Was there any difference in the under-saddle strips sizes?
Did the Anthem raise or lower the action at all?

Honestly, I didn't even look. Guitar plays and feels the same.

Did you have enough wire when you cut them to reach where they had to go?
Absolutely, way more than enough .. no worries

All in all, the Anthem is an excellent upgrade for this guitar and the amplified tone is significantly better! No question.
Thanks Jake. Give us an update after a few gigs.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Jake....what are your thoughts on just getting a Spectrum Aura pedal to use with the SC13e and it's original pickup versus replacing with an Anthem?
Old 09-30-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Jake....what are your thoughts on just getting a Spectrum Aura pedal to use with the SC13e and it's original pickup versus replacing with an Anthem?
I've never used the Spectrum Aura .. But as we all know - It's not bad idea to give it give it a try!

Personally speaking, I went down a small pedal rabbit hole trying to enhance the sound of the SC-13 to my liking. I did get it to perform well and I enjoyed the sound with stock electronics.

My final rig (prior to the Anthem SL) included a HX Stomp, Baggs Venue EQ/DI and then I added a Baggs Align Session to see what that would do (now I like it by itself - as a sweetener).

So in the end, it was a lot of electronics and expense. Since I don't use many effects other than Reverb and occasional Chorus - Love the versatility of the HX Stomp - but for me, it was over kill.
Although, I did use it for IRs, EQs and Comps to taste. Again this is the Pedal to get if you want a swiss army knife.

Back to the Anthem and SC13.. It's been great addition and very "acoustic" sounding (for a lack of better word).
I have the Blend control screw at maybe 25% of the Mic (hard to say exactly).
I played a couple nights ago at an open mic.
Just my guitar straight into house mixer -then through the host's Bose L1 Pro 8 (which is same PA as I use).

I was really pleased and confident with the sound.. the owner even came up to me after my set and said I never sounded better.

So now for my next gig.. I am going to just use the VENUE EQ and Reverb pedal and have the Session pedal for any added "juice" needed.

Here's a shot of the board - Still need to wire things up..

Old 09-30-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I've never used the Spectrum Aura .. But as we all know - It's not bad idea to give it give it a try!

Personally speaking, I went down a small pedal rabbit hole trying to enhance the sound of the SC-13 to my liking. I did get it to perform well and I enjoyed the sound with stock electronics.

My final rig (prior to the Anthem SL) included a HX Stomp, Baggs Venue EQ/DI and then I added a Baggs Align Session to see what that would do (now I like it by itself - as a sweetener).

So in the end, it was a lot of electronics and expense. Since I don't use many effects other than Reverb and occasional Chorus - Love the versatility of the HX Stomp - but for me, it was over kill.
Although, I did use it for IRs, EQs and Comps to taste. Again this is the Pedal to get if you want a swiss army knife.

Back to the Anthem and SC13.. It's been great addition and very "acoustic" sounding (for a lack of better word).
I have the Blend control screw at maybe 25% of the Mic (hard to say exactly).
I played a couple nights ago at an open mic.
Just my guitar straight into house mixer -then through the host's Bose L1 Pro 8 (which is same PA as I use).

I was really pleased and confident with the sound.. the owner even came up to me after my set and said I never sounded better.

So now for my next gig.. I am going to just use the VENUE EQ and Reverb pedal and have the Session pedal for any added "juice" needed.

Here's a shot of the board - Still need to wire things up..
Yeah I also kept the mic screw on the Anthem SL pretty low or things got too trebly and bright.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn100 View Post
Let me start by saying that I was having issues with the factory installed Fishman MXT that the guitar came with. The high E,B and partially the G were much quieter then the D, Low E and A stings. It was not a lot but enough to bother me and I was going to send it to a factory dealer to look at. I have changed the strings several times and inspected the saddle and fit and it seemed fine. Bottom of the saddle was flat and the slot looked good. The Fishman UST had a funny look to the end like it may have been pinched at some point and I suspected this was the problem.

Anyway, I had been reading up on the Anthem and Anthem SL on this forum and others, and decided I wanted one of these especially if I had to get work done on the new guitar.

My local L&M only stocked the full Anthem so I threw caution to the wind and bought it. I spent today installing it. I am no luthier, but have been around guitars for a lot of years and always have done my own setups and minor maintenance. I also have some electronics experience.

So let me say the installation went flawlessly and I was able to use the stock martin battery compartment and also installed the Anthem 1/4" jack in it as well. No modifications were required to the guitar at all. I was concerned about the larger preamp/control unit, but it fits on the soundhole perfectly.

The only issue is the bridge plate was too narrow to install the mic on it either in front or behind the pins. I put the mic directly on the top up against the bridge plate towards the soundhole.

After I plugged it in and messed with the mic mix a bit, all I can say is I am totally blown away with the quality of the sound. Playing through a Bose S1 speaker, as I turned up the volume, the sound of the guitar literally increased but to me sounded almost identical to the unplugged sound. It is by far superior to the factory Fishman MXT pickup and I also tried my Taylor 224CE-K with the ESP2 electronics as well as my Gibson J35 with LR Baggs VTC pickup for comparison. The Anthem in the Martin SC13-E was vastly superior to both.

The Anthem comes close to the sound of my guitar in front of a condenser mic.

I know others were concerned about how the Anthem would install in an SC13-E and I can confirm it went extremely well. The only loss is the soundhole tuner which was a poor tuner at best, full of lag and not very sensitive. I will not miss it.

I am an SC13e owner, and would like to counter your comment re: finding balance across your fretboard when using the standard issue Fishman MX-T. I would not want other owners of the SC to think that they can't get no satisfaction without spending several hundred $ on a new pickup system. I just purchased an Acoustic a20 amp to use with my SC
and am completely satisfied with the genuine acoustic sound I am getting. I watched Tony Polocastro's video on how to EQ an acoustic amp, and spent some time tweaking mine. And wow, am I impressed. I've heard too many people dissing the MX-T -- some without even trying it. Sheesh. I'm not only pleased with my SC13e's MX-T, I'm blown away.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 09-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0021 View Post
I am an SC13e owner, and would like to counter your comment re: finding balance across your fretboard when using the standard issue Fishman MX-T. ...
Just shows how subjective some of this stuff is!

Where do you have your onboard tone control set? Scooped (which would be the opposite of your amp EQ), flat, or somewhere in-between?

Sometimes I wish that tone control wasn't on my gig guitars (one of which has a Sonitone, said to be the MX-T without tuner or phase switch) because it's another variable I'd rather leave to mixers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonitone MX-T.jpg (35.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Where do you have your onboard tone control set? Scooped (which would be the opposite of your amp EQ), flat, or somewhere in-between?
You're right. With the amp EQ at such extremes, the on-board tone control has little effect. I have the on-board set (maybe randomly) set at halfway scooped. Flat to scooped sound about the same. I use Silk & Steel Steel strings. You see where my Chorus and Reverb are set - Helps the tone to not be so sterile.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-01-2021 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Repaired quote tags
Old 10-01-2021, 03:09 PM

Default Installed an LR Baggs Anthem in my Martin SC13-E Today

Still very much experimenting with the amped SC13e. On-
board tone control is flat. Amp EQ now gives much brighter tone.
Accentuates the SC's Grand Performance size.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E

Last edited by phil0021; 10-01-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Well, you're certainly searching around for ''your sound''. I'm lazy, when I got my LB Mini I set it at; low 2 o'clock, mid noon, high 2, thought it sounded good and left it there.

Glad you're enjoying your new amp!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:19 PM

I've gigged this guitar with stock pickup though my Bose L1 Pro 8 for a few months ...
Honestly, I didn't mind the sound and used a few pedals to make things sound right to my ear.

HOWEVER, adding the Anthem took the guitar to the next level for me.
It has taken a little while to really get it set up right (dialing in proper mix of the Tru-Mic..EQing, etc).

Also the tru-mic placement makes a difference for sure.. I have tried it in front and behind the bridge pins.
Right now to me, it sounds best, behind the pins (closer to rear) as opposed to in front closer to sound hole.
ALSO - I have found that it needs extra bass and reduction in treble to get it to sound best for my ear.

In the end, Everyone hears differently, everyone's setup and room's are different. So do what sounds best to you! Play and enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification