The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

The Bose S1 Pro's definitely do have a little better dispersion than the EAE D6-58 but that test yesterday does not accurately depict the differences. Remember that in that test, those two Bose S1's are angled out and away from center. I suppose at some point I might have to do a test of just the D6-58 and a single Bose S1, both pointing straight ahead and at the same volume and do the side-to-side walk to see the exact differences in volume throw and dispersion. Raining today so maybe next week!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Is it possible to have an A/B video Bose S1 + stompmix vs EAE D6-58? Please
And just because I can't help myself, here's yet another demo video (at top post) which directly answers the above question!
Old 09-24-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Update 2! NAD: EAE D6-58 120W Battery Powered Acoustic Guitar And Vocal Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Yes I heard that also... If Methos1979 has outside gigs or very big rooms I would not sell the Bose.. The trio is a very nice sound and coverage.
I'm sure the EAE would be fine in every other place.

I have the EAE D6-58, but also a pair of S1 Pros. I also have a Bose Sub1 and the pole so that you can put the sub on it’s side and mount the S1 Pro above it. It’s such a versatile setup. The D6-58 is wonderful by itself, but if you need more, you can do one or two S1s. If you need a lot of volume and/or kick, adding the Sub1 puts it in the range of one of the Bose L1 systems. Not the same throw, but certainly plenty of volume and thump. For stereo, you just use the Sub1 and pole mount on one side and regular speaker stand for the other S1 on the other.

Mainly I do small gigs, but I wanted to be able to handle any size that might come along, and fit all the equipment easily into my Mini Cooper. This system does that nicely, and I only have to bring what I need for any particular gig. Most of the time, that is just the D6-58 by itself.

What is particularly cool about the D6-58 is the stereo XLR outs with their own dedicated EQ. Most places in town here have their own PA, or at least a pair of powered speakers and some stands. The output EQ has high pass, plus three bands with a sweepable mid. You can make anything you plug into sound its best!
Old 09-24-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
And just because I can't help myself, here's yet another demo video (at top post) which directly answers the above question!
Thanks for the public service! I am most likely to get one of the two before live performances are a thing again. The S1 holds up surprisingly well for something that costs about half of the D6-58, if only EAE had a new update with articulated tweeters for better horizontal dispersion!

Last edited by necrome; 09-24-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Thanks for the public service! I am most likely to get one of the two before live performances are a thing again. The S1 holds up surprisingly well for something that costs about half of the D6-58, if only EAE had a new update with articulated tweeters for better horizontal dispersion!
While you're right about the price difference between the S1 and the D6-58, it's important to remember that the S1 alone cannot come anywhere near producing that kind of output. Of course you can add an inexpensive mixer in front of the S1 and get close to the D6-58 for significantly less money. But comparing apples to apples would be combining the S1 with an EAE X6 which then puts you close in price to the D6-58.

As for EAE coming out with new models that include articulated tweeters, I wouldn't doubt seeing them come up with something. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wade into the increasingly popular array business at some point. Imagine an EAE base unit with subwoofer and built-in X6 digital mixer plus an array tower with 10 or more articulated tweeters that all run on an internal lithium battery power source when desired!

The last time I casually stated something like this, EAE very soon afterwards produced a close approximation!
Old 09-24-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The beamy nature of the EAE is very obvious.

The enhanced clarity and articulation is mostly in front.

The Bose S1 spread is very even.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I like putting the D6-58 a little behind me and to the right if I'm sharing the sound from it with my audience. The same placement I would us with a Loudbox or any other combo amp, except higher because of the pole mount.

For a duo like Methos has with his wife, I would put the D6-58 between them and back a step or two (the amp high on a stand to his right).

If you have trouble hearing the highs move it back further. If it is feeding back move it forward. If the room is bigger, put it in front of you facing back as a monitor and use one or two S1s for the house. If the S1s aren't enough, add a Sub1.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Exactly. So if you don't mind carrying an extra piece of gear and one extra cord AND you need horizontal dispersion over sheer power, then the Bose S1 Pro plus X6 (or similar) mixer is the way to go.

If you want a one-and-done unit and/or need a LOT of power but can live without as much horizontal dispersion, then the D6-58 is a great way to go. Add a Bose S1 (or 2!) or literally any powered speaker and you're good to go.

As always, the great news is that there is literally something for everyone out there right now and more coming down the pike all the time.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I like putting the D6-58 a little behind me and to the right if I'm sharing the sound from it with my audience. The same placement I would us with a Loudbox or any other combo amp, except higher because of the pole mount.

For a duo like Methos has with his wife, I would put the D6-58 between them and back a step or two (the amp high on a stand to his right).

If you have trouble hearing the highs move it back further. If it is feeding back move it forward. If the room is bigger, put it in front of you facing back as a monitor and use one or two S1s for the house. If the S1s aren't enough, add a Sub1.
Although we've only just begun practicing with this (so no 'real world' gigging experience yet) we have found that we like it on the floor between us and angled slightly up. We are just about even with it and we can hear it great at loud volumes while not having it blow out our ears like we did when we used to put the Bose S1 on a pole directly between and behind us.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Although we've only just begun practicing with this (so no 'real world' gigging experience yet) we have found that we like it on the floor between us and angled slightly up. We are just about even with it and we can hear it great at loud volumes while not having it blow out our ears like we did when we used to put the Bose S1 on a pole directly between and behind us.

Interesting. That would give you more bass and could well be all you need. I look forward to hearing your report after your first gig with it.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:06 PM

Default Cuki nailed it.

Amen that! In spades. _Roger

Quote:

Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:

The dispersion pattern of various combo amps is about the same, whether they are Elite Acoustics, AER, Fishman, Schertler, or whatever. They are less directional than a PA speaker, and the sound spreads about the same on both horizontal and vertical axises. They are quite useable for a lot of small to mid sized rooms.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Update 3! Bag and wedge

Update 3: Okay, ONE more video update. I promise! (Unless I think of something else or get asked to show something...) There was no room to fit this at the top in the original post so it's buried down here. Hope you found it!

This short video is about the case and wedge that EAE sells separately. As I stated in the original post at the top, the EAE does not come with a case. For the price I think they should, but that's neither here nor there. Another feature I wish the D6-58 had was a built-in spring loaded wedge for angling the amp back on the floor. It does not but EAE conveniently sells one that fits (again, conveniently) in the bag.

The bag is pretty good. It fits the amp like a glove, of course, as it should. The material is fairly heavy duty and there is decent padding on all sides. The internal material is a soft velour-like material ensuring your nice wood cabinet won't get scratched. The padding is about a half inch thick according to the website. I stated a quarter inch or so in my video but it's closer to the half. There are two handles with a Velcro closure and also a shoulder strap which I doubt I'd use due to the weight.

I think the case is fine for the type of protection I will need for the occasional casual gigging I do but it's certainly not what I would consider a hardcore, road-worthy case for those that travel and gig a LOT. In truth, I think the cordura should be a little bit thicker. The overall quality and feel is decent but my Bose S1 backpack feels more heavy duty. Then again the Bose backpack case sells for $150. EAE set their price point at $99 so I guess the material is about right for that price.

The wedge is a very small affair that costs $15 and does what it's supposed to do, it provides a way of tilting the amp back. It folds up flat and easily fits in one of the bags two side pockets which have ample room in them for cords, mics and any number of things one would need for a gig. Anyway, below is a walkaround video that pretty much just shows (and talks about) everything I wrote above.

One thing I forgot to mention above and in the video is that the EAE labeling is embroidered into both the bag and wedge, and not just silkscreened. This adds to the overall quality of the look and feel.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-28-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:37 AM

I still stand by my statement that the Elite Acoustics D6-58 is simply the best acoustic amp out there. To put it into perspective, I am a retired (because of damaged hearing) sound guy. I am used to working with all sorts of top equipment. I am used to mixers with full featured EQs with sweepable mids and high pass filters. I am used to being able to notch out problem frequencies or reverse the phase. I am used to having compression and a variety of DSP. I am used to having really good quality components from the mics through to the speakers.

The D6-58 gives me all of this in one very pretty battery powered box. Like Methos, I use wireless guitar and mics. There are no wires at all! It takes about as long to set up the audio as it does to pull the guitar out of the case and make sure that it is in tune! The sound is absolutely clear, and the processing is exactly how I like it. Up on a pole, I can easily reach the controls.

It is incredibly versatile. It works well when it is just me. It works well for a duo. I can point it out towards the audience slightly behind me almost everywhere. If there is a sound system there, I can point it at myself and send a fully mixed feed to the house. I can run a separate monitor mix for a singer. If it is just me and there is a sound person, I can mix myself in my own monitor but send individual guitar and vocals to the board. I can use the stereo input pair from my Helix if I am playing electric. It looks pretty in the living room, so my wife doesn’t complain if I leave it out.

I absolutely LOVE this amp!
Old 09-28-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I still stand by my statement that the Elite Acoustics D6-58 is simply the best acoustic amp out there. To put it into perspective, I am a retired (because of damaged hearing) sound guy. I am used to working with all sorts of top equipment. I am used to mixers with full featured EQs with sweepable mids and high pass filters. I am used to being able to notch out problem frequencies or reverse the phase. I am used to having compression and a variety of DSP. I am used to having really good quality components from the mics through to the speakers.

The D6-58 gives me all of this in one very pretty battery powered box. Like Methos, I use wireless guitar and mics. There are no wires at all! It takes about as long to set up the audio as it does to pull the guitar out of the case and make sure that it is in tune! The sound is absolutely clear, and the processing is exactly how I like it. Up on a pole, I can easily reach the controls.

It is incredibly versatile. It works well when it is just me. It works well for a duo. I can point it out towards the audience slightly behind me almost everywhere. If there is a sound system there, I can point it at myself and send a fully mixed feed to the house. I can run a separate monitor mix for a singer. If it is just me and there is a sound person, I can mix myself in my own monitor but send individual guitar and vocals to the board. I can use the stereo input pair from my Helix if I am playing electric. It looks pretty in the living room, so my wife doesn’t complain if I leave it out.

I absolutely LOVE this amp!
I'm not really understanding what you mean. Can you clarify better how you really feel about this amp?

Seriously though, your feelings about this amp are a big reason why I decided to give it a try. That along with your background in sound reinforcement and your love of the Bose S1 Pro system meant that I knew we had similar tastes in equipment and usage.

I will echo my love for the absolute ease and speed of setup and breakdown. I can carry everything I need in one trip with ease. I can set up in about 5 minutes and be ready to rock.

With the wireless units I need to carry no cables, although I do 'just in case'. As I continue to use the D6-58 and get used to the clean, clear and articulate sound at much higher volumes, I, too, am convinced this is the best system my wife and I have ever used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification