The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I played ''City of N.O.'' this past Sunday with my banjo playing buddy and four other guitars. The song just plain works with the banjo. Don't call the cops we've already dispersed, but we will be back together soon!

And yes Scott, thank you for this thread. It has been a blast remembering Steve and his songs. Steve's memory lives on through the music. We actually have a small audience for the Sunday jam and both times we've played ''City'' someone commented about how much they love his songs.
Low, thanks so much. I'm grateful to many members, including yourself, who have added to this thread through the years. Steve was just a remarkable person and artist, a one in a million.

On your point: About every year or so I perform an acoustic set of mostly originals, with maybe two or three covers. I distinctly remember doing a show in the summer of 2017, with about 25 people in the audience. There was an older gentleman sitting in the second row. The first couple tunes were originals. The fourth song was "City." By the end of the first line this guy had totally perked up and was smiling ear-to-ear. This is the kind of effect Steve's songs have on people.

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 11-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

''And the last thing General Custer said when he looked up and saw all those Sioux

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going nowhere in a hurry too!''

How can you not love the guy!

Is I started a Steve Goodman Pandora station and I'm driving my wife crazy. Right now I'm listening to ''Elvis Imitators''!

Last edited by lowrider; 11-20-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:42 PM

One of my favorite songs written by Steve Goodman is Banana Republics. And I think Buffett's cover of it is a masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/LJxXu8MdL-A
Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Another all time great line from Steve;

''This stuff's so weird, that the cockroaches moved next do-or''

from Chicken Cordone Blues!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

My all-time favorite thread on AGF has really died back here on the last page. Scott, I hope you see this;

Last night at dinner time, I told my wife ''I know what song I've got to learn 'Mama Don't Allow'. She ha never hear it, but I said that everybody from the Folk Music Era new it.

It was dancing around in my head all night, even in my sleep. Around 2 am I woke up still singing it and remembered in a flash of inspiration ''Steve Goodman did it!'' I'm going to start working on it for my jam groups as soon as Michelle gets up and has some coffee

This one's for you Scott;

Old 02-18-2020, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, so cool. Thanks so much.

Long live Steve Goodman.

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 02-21-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 AM

This place has a gajillion concerts available for download...a lot of Goodman's, Prine's, many many others...

"ousterhout.net"

This thread got resurrected at the perfect time...I just started rereading Clay Eals' bio of Steve. If you haven't read it it's a must for any fan...

Last edited by Cabarone; 02-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
This place has a gajillion concerts available for download...a lot of Goodman's, Prine's, many many others...

"ousterhout.net"

This thread got resurrected at the perfect time...I just started rereading Clay Eals' bio of Steve. If you haven't read it it's a must for any fan...
I pray it will be a while yet before John joins Chicago Shorty. We need him more than ever right now.

scott memmer
Old 04-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

How's this for a power trio

Steve Cropper, John Prine, and Phil Ochs!
Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM

Today would have been Steve's 72nd birthday..if you haven't read Clay Eals' bio yet you really owe it to yourself to do so...it looks like it might be going for a 5th edition this fall...
Old 07-26-2020, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
Today would have been Steve's 72nd birthday..if you haven't read Clay Eals' bio yet you really owe it to yourself to do so...it looks like it might be going for a 5th edition this fall...
Yes, Clay's book is a loving and heavily researched celebration of the live and brilliance of Steve.

As I tell everyone, Steve Goodman is the single greatest entertainer I've ever encountered in my life. To be in a room with him on the stage was both a riotous and, at the same time, a humbling experience.

scott memmer
Old 02-04-2022, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

I just love this guy so much. I hope he and John are jamming up there in heaven on "Souvenirs."

Would love to hear from others who may have seen Steve in concert. I saw him more than 40 years ago, and it is still vivid in my mind.

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 02-04-2022, 12:04 PM

Steve Goodman was a National Treasure, and as a lifelong Cubs fan, I do wish he could have seen our team win the WS back in '16.

He could make you laugh, he could make you think, he could make you cry. He was everything that makes music make the world a better place.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-04-2022, 12:29 PM

I wasn’t aware of the book about Steve. Here’s a good interview with the author:

http://delcoculturevultures.com/2022...ing-the-music/
Old 02-11-2022, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Steve Goodman was a National Treasure, and as a lifelong Cubs fan, I do wish he could have seen our team win the WS back in '16.

He could make you laugh, he could make you think, he could make you cry. He was everything that makes music make the world a better place.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Jeff. Steve AND John were and are national treasures.

Steve was the complete artist, as you note, and could do it all. He was the perfect foil and complement to JP, which made him the perfect opener when they toured together.

I've heard several people compare Goodman to Al Jolson -- someone who could do it all onstage. He was definitely touched by an angel.

And I hope he and John are playing "Angel from Montgomery" together as I write this.

Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN