The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Default X7steel soundboard modification?

I have a 2018 X7 veneered steel string that I am very happy with and have been thinking if it is possible to modify the soundboard to accomodate nylon strings. I do not know the structural difference and was hoping some of you might know more about this possibility. Thank you all as always!
Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure of all the construction differences, I think the soundboard is thinner on a nylon string guitar. But I can tell you that I did install nylon folk strings on my steel string X7. Which are nylon strings with ball ends. The experiment was a complete failure, a waste of money and time. It sounded horrible. You may have different results, but I doubt it. Good Luck !
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM

I agree with John.

Maybe try some kind of silk filament strings that are not a total nylon modification? In an instrument with that small of a body you will likely be disappointed with the lack of tone and projection that ball nylon strings would give you. I have tried Ernie Ball 80/20 Silk and Steel and they sounded really good, but they broke on my OF660 and I've not broken any other string in literally years on any gutiar- won't be buying those again. But it does peak my curiosity about the strings below. I've tried them all except the Pearse Folk and all are good- the Thomastik Infeld are exceptional.

John Pearse 610LM (Bronze and Silks)
John Pearse Folk PJ116 (Nylon rope and flat wound with steel cores)
GHS Silk and Bronze
Thomastik Infeld Plectrums
Old 10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Guest 928

The John Pearse Folk may get you close to what you want, as might some high tension nylons. You might have fun playing around with the switch of strings, but I think John is right, ultimately you will be disappointed.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

My experience was the same as John's: it took the great sound of my X7 with steel strings and turned it into a lifeless dud. I tried the folks strings that have a ball on the end, thinking it would be an "interesting experiment". Not only did it sound dead, the strings continued to stretch for days. Fortunately, I have other guitars I can play, but after 10 days or so, I considered that experiment a big ol' no-thanks and put some great-sounding steel strings on again.

I read here that one participant did that with the e-koa Blackbird Savoy, and felt the results were good. Different material, perhaps a thinner top?

My take-away from that experiment: if you want a nylon guitar, get a guitar made for nylon strings. I did that with a Yamaha Silent Guitar - that nylon model has a neck that feels like a surfboard to my hands. Yeah, I like me some steel string guitars.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

"Lifeless Dud" those are the words I was looking for. LOL

I agree with Steelvibe on the Plectrums, they can be magical and usually last a while. For some reason the last set I had didn't last very long.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I have a 2018 X7 veneered steel string that I am very happy with and have been thinking if it is possible to modify the soundboard to accomodate nylon strings. I do not know the structural difference and was hoping some of you might know more about this possibility. Thank you all as always!
I've been thinking about this on and off today (a quiet Sunday here in Minnesota )

My thoughts, in no particular order:

1) it's generally not possible to do this for a guitar made out of wood, so why would CF be any different?
2) there's really nothing available to 'modify' the soundboard of an X7. There are no braces to shave, for example. Unless you're just going to try to reduce its thickness by sanding it from the inside out - which sounds like an accident waiting to happen - I'm not sure what else you could do.
3) Emerald already reduces the thickness of the CF layer to accommodate the thickness of the veneer on nylon models so as to voice the top properly.
4) and then there's the bridge, and the tuners...

In short, if you want a nylon-strung Emerald, order a nylon-strung Emerald
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Guest 928

Or, if you just have a hankering to try nylon, purchase an inexpensive Yamaha or Cordoba and give it a run. If you like it, then you might take a look at some of the cool nylon options available through Emerald and Rainsong.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Thank you all for the input. Sounds like if I want to sound like a duddy player, I should charge on. My wife thinks I am a dirdy player, so I guess I am... doomed for nylons... unless X7N shows up miraculously at my front door... aroooun Christmas!

You guys are awesome, my mission became very clear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber