The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 08:47 AM

I started playing the guitar about 2.5 years ago. I started my journey with the thought I would just play the guitar, but I wouldn't sing. After about 6 months I started guitar and also singing lessons. I quit the singing lessons as I was frustrated with my lack of knowledge of music theory which made it difficult to understand the instructor. Fast forward another year and with music theory under my belt, I resumed my singing lessons. Ironically both the singing and guitar instructors will point out the same issues with a song.

This semester, I'm taking ear training for musicians. yes, I do both including things with multiple different guitars and the piano.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 10-04-2022, 08:48 AM

I secretly double as a solo acoustic performer, sometimes I even get paid!!

For that, singing and playing goes with.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Who doesn't like to sing a good murder song? Little Sadie, Ballad of Jesse James, Dire Wolf and Frankie and Johnny come to mind.
With my voice, I'd murder those songs.

Anyhow, when it comes to singing--to resurrect a rather old comment--I only know two tunes: One's Yankee Doodle and the other isn't. I always sing the latter.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 AM

I love to play the guitar and I love to sing. Consider myself a much better guitar player than singer. But I took 2 and a half years of Singing lessons about 7 years ago, so I got the basics down and am comfortable singing while I play guitar and even when I don’t play guitar. Also play guitar without singing.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
I love to play the guitar and I love to sing. Consider myself a much better guitar player than singer. But I took 2 and a half years of Singing lessons about 7 years ago, so I got the basics down and am comfortable singing while I play guitar and even when I don’t play guitar. Also play guitar without singing.
Exactly. A lot of people spend a whole lot of time learning to play guitar and expect to just start singing without giving it a second thought. Then when they can't sing they just proclaim that they are terrible singers and never sing again. Singing takes practice. One would be surprised what a few months of singing lessons can do to change that

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-04-2022, 09:42 AM

I learned to play to accompany my singing. That was 58 years ago.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:17 AM

So many fantastic replies and it appears the vast majority do sing. I would imagine it would certainly be easier for those who don't sing to spend time with other acoustic players in a setting that allowed for encouragement. I am 56 years old and our (wife and I) friends don't play. Never could I imagine picking up my guitar in front of our group and letting loose with a song. Lack of confidence? Absolutely and I am not ashamed to admit it. I still struggle just picking the guitar in front of people I don't know. My shortcomings as a solo couch picker. Truth be told, it is easier for me to play something now in front of people outside of my immediate family. But still far from comfortable. Practice I guess...
Old 10-04-2022, 10:35 AM

At first I just played and didn't sing but found that I wouldn't finish the songs, so to feel more inspired about playing I started to sing and it was freighting but I stuck with it and now I'm not so bad.

Here is a tip play and sing with a metronome because it's easy to change the tempo to fit your voice.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Playing and singing in front of an audience it is very hard for me to get started. But once I've broken through the wall with the first song I'm all over it. Not a shy bone in my body after that. But the first song is I'm just fighting panic. I also find it much easier to sing and play for strangers or people that I don't know well than it is to sing and play for family members and friends. Unless of course, everyone is singing, like at our neighborhood bon fires in the summer.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-04-2022, 11:26 AM

no one wants to hear me sing...not matter if I am playing or not. The only time they accept me singing is when there is no one else in the neighborhood (including dogs)

The restraining order says so...
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 10-04-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
No singing here. A music teacher in high school advised me to learn lip syncing so as not to ruin the choir.
That’s a terrible teacher. Their job was to teach you to do the best with what you have, not to chase you away so as not to mess up their vision. My grammar school music teacher put me off trying to learn an instrument for a long time. Bad teachers are the worst and bad music teachers are the worst of the worst.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 AM

I used to sing in glee club in elementary school. I started playing guitar in early 1979 (when I was 15), and I've been singing and playing guitar since 1990, when I started playing in rock bands (the first song I sang and played was "China Grove" by the Doobie Brothers). It was a mess at first, because my phrasing was a mess. I phrased my guitar playing at first, like I was singing or phrased my singing like I was playing guitar - both ways, it sounded weird and just plain bad. What really helps things, is to have the playing down cold, so that it's almost like you're playing on autopilot. That way you can concentrate on your singing. It's one of the reasons why I usually don't sing and play in the church band I'm in nowadays - with the exception of the cantor related songs (which are fixed in the playlist for several weeks), we switch to different songs every week, only giving me enough time to get the songs down to the point where I don't screw up playing them. You want to add to your workload - sing lead vocals, AND play lead guitar!! I've typically done that (along with singing harmony and other background vocals) in the rock bands I've been in.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 10-04-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
No singing here. A music teacher in high school advised me to learn lip syncing so as not to ruin the choir.
Life's experiences have taught me that sometimes, the most honest person in the room is the one who'll look you in the eye and tell you "Don't quit your Day Job..."

Last edited by Denny B; 10-04-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:40 PM

I have a problematic singing voice/skill. Very pitchy for one thing. For a few years around the turn of the century I concentrated on guitar instrumental music, both acoustic and electric. Seven years ago I began to formulate what became my Parlando Project, where I combine original music with various words, mostly other people's poetry that is in the public domain. I did various things to get around singing full voice: spoken word, chanting, talk-singing.

Now some years later I risk singing more, still cautious because of my limitations. I think the "almost singing" has helped my singing voice a little.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-04-2022, 08:21 PM

I am Not A Singer. Repeat, Not A Singer.

I went to a jam this past spring and only a few showed up. Well if I didn't take my turn it was going to be a short night. So I gave it a go. No one beat me up afterwards.

I now practice singing about half the time when I practice guitar. Now I take my turn at the jams. And sometimes I get favorable comments. I know they are just being nice.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion