The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-02-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Found out something Yesterday about my guitars...

The Taylor AD17e is very amp-friendly (EAE M2-6) its built-in pre-amp gives it a nice sound..helps with feedback..boominess, etc., Plug and play

My Alvarez with its L.R. Baggs Element-VTC pickup is very touchy volume-wise, Feedback prone, very Boomy Just not playable without a preamp/DI

Not sure The guitar(Alvarez) will stay because I'm trying to be on Batteries and not have to rely on AC power and have a pedal that needs to be checked for dead batteries all the time... Just isn't the stream-line gear I want, I've already bagged the idea of my guitar being wireless due to the life span on the dongles and connection issues.

Guitar-Mic-Amp on a battery is my idea of a simple setup, maybe one day I'll see the need for an effects pedal ie; Chorus-Trem-compression but not right now..
Old 10-02-2022, 12:37 PM

My solo shows are like yours.
I plug my Martin GPC-16 Rosewood into my JBL Eon One Tower PA.
I also go direct to the PA with a Shure SM-58 mic.

I will be using a Bose S-1 Pro for future shows.
Not sure if there will be any surprises with it.

I will also be trying out my Guild Baritone 8 string for some songs.
It has a pickup so I'm ready to go.

It will be interesting to see how much difference there will be with the settings between the Martin and the Guild.
Hopefully not much.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
The Taylor AD17e is very amp-friendly (EAE M2-6) its built-in pre-amp gives it a nice sound..helps with feedback..boominess, etc., Plug and play

My Alvarez with its L.R. Baggs Element-VTC pickup is very touchy volume-wise, Feedback prone, very Boomy Just not playable without a preamp/DI

Not sure The guitar(Alvarez) will stay because I'm trying to be on Batteries and not have to rely on AC power and have a pedal that needs to be checked for dead batteries all the time... Just isn't the stream-line gear I want, I've already bagged the idea of my guitar being wireless due to the life span on the dongles and connection issues.

Guitar-Mic-Amp on a battery is my idea of a simple setup, maybe one day I'll see the need for an effects pedal ie; Chorus-Trem-compression but not right now..
It's so nice to hear other players comment favorably on the Taylor Expression System 2 as I've always liked it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-02-2022, 01:57 PM

My dead-simple setup is passive piezo SBT's plugged into my Carvin AG300 with HIZ (high impedance) selected. Just use the channel EQ pots. No need for any preamps/DI/pedals. The Carvin has reverb, echo and chorus, but I just use a touch of reverb on my vocal mic. No need for any batteries in my instruments or any pedals with batteries.

I can bring my 200 watt battery powered inverter if I don't have easy access to AC power. With a 35 amp-hour deep cycle battery it will power my Carvin for at least 7 hours.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I understand that of which you speak!

K&K Pure Mini in my guitar and a dynamic mic, two cables to my Cube EX. I'm totally happy with the sound of this setup and use it for gigs. I do understand that some guitars like a preamp before hitting the main amp, but that can be done with a simple pedal if needed.

The Cube EX can use batteries if needed, of course. I only want to think about batteries ONE place, so this setup meets my requirements.

I haven't had to think about batteries in a guitar for a LONG time and won't be doing anything to change that.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-02-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:29 AM

The Alvarez left the building....
I decided to sell because I wasn't happy with the plugged in sound and decided I wanted to finish paying off a student loan...
And have an accuse to buy another acoustic next year Like a D18 or 000-18
I've set the stage
Old 10-03-2022, 11:36 AM

Well that was fast! you already sold the Alvarez?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-03-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Well that was fast! you already sold the Alvarez?
LOL, Actually I was quite shocked on how fast someone responded and bought it....One answer..sold

I almost didn't...But The older gentleman was into Bluegrass and loved it..he's eyes lite up when he strummed it the first time.. He had retired last year and was getting into Bluegrass...
Old 10-04-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
LOL, Actually I was quite shocked on how fast someone responded and bought it....One answer..sold

I almost didn't...But The older gentleman was into Bluegrass and loved it..he's eyes lite up when he strummed it the first time.. He had retired last year and was getting into Bluegrass...
that's great! good for you!

On to the next chapter!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-04-2022, 11:22 AM

I have always like the Taylor system. I think it works well. I am always surprised when people complain about it. That said I really like my Lr baggs m1a on my other guitars as well. Enjoy that nice Taylor, it's on my list for my next guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification