The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

None of the vinyl records I own are something to be ashamed of... but a few are pretty far "out there" for folks who know me and my tastes in music...

Again, NOT ashamed!

Neil Diamond - Hot August Nights (live from the Greek Theatre in LA)

The only Barbra Streisand record to feature a song by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker!

An unplayed copy of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" that I won in some sort of contest in the 80's and have never put on a turntable... I'm quite familiar with the album, but just haven't had occasion to play my copy...

And there you have it, my darkest vinyl secrets! Ha!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-28-2022, 05:00 PM

Sometimes you can think the songs are inane, but appreciate the tasty guitar - so Bread is OK. And the Carpenters, well you have to accept that she had a great voice.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:32 PM

Kingston Trio

Yes, I’m that old.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 09-29-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm not sure why ABBA get's so much derision. Or Air Supply. Or Nickelback. Or 'fill in band you love to hate'. I'd love have a fraction of the talent, fame and fortune of any of those guys and gals have/had.

For me I'd have to say Madonna's 'Like A Virgin' album (CD, actually) which I bought because I had just bought one of the very first CD players available and there were literally a handful of CD's you could buy and of those ONLY the Madonna album (which was brand new) was FULL DIGITAL!

So, I bought it to 'hear' the full digital sound reproduction which was, admittedly, excellent. It was an okay album as well. But nothing I'd brag about being an old rock and roller.
I think that overexposure had something to do with it. I'm not sure how big they got in the States, as I wasn't here, but in Europe and the Commonwealth they were just massive and you just heard them... everywhere.

Heh, there was an FM station in Sydney, 2JJ, when I was living there, whose tag line was "All ABBA, None of the Time."

With hindsight, they did some nice pop songs.

So, when you first got your CD player, did you get Ry Cooder's "Bop Til You Drop?" That was the first fully digital album ever recorded.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Sometimes you can think the songs are inane, but appreciate the tasty guitar - so Bread is OK. And the Carpenters, well you have to accept that she had a great voice.
The Wrecking Crew played on a lot of basically crappy songs, that became hits.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Here is another:"The Monkees"

My wife asked me to purchase a recent CD compilation of their stuff.It is missing "Pleasant Valley Sunday" their best song.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:08 AM

I was going to give a cool kid answer and say "I'm not ashamed of anything I like" until I remembered I do have a Kelly Clarkson CD in my car.

So maybe "mildly embarrassed"

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-03-2022, 11:20 AM

I'm a little younger than some on the forum, so I didn't hear the Carpenters until the mid 1990s (when I was in my teens), and I've liked them since then, especially Close to You, the tan album, A Song for You.

My mom was into Manilow so I listened to a lot of him, and I gotta say he's great, though I'm not as familiar with his post-70s stuff.

Bread I like what I've heard, "Make it With You," "Baby I'm a Want You," etc. Love those major 7th chords.

I used to not like Matchbox 20 and Hootie & the Blowfish but some of that stuff has grown on me. Still haven't warmed to Creed, Nickelback, Stained, Puddle of Mudd.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:52 AM

Old 10-14-2022, 06:57 AM

Mel Torme.

Turtle
Old 10-15-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
Mel Torme.

Turtle
You mean The Velvet Foghorn?
Old 10-16-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You mean The Velvet Foghorn?

Yes.

Turtle
Old 10-16-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
Yes.

Turtle
Mel did have a good voice.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=guitargabor;7091374]aBBa

Yeah,I had a crush for the "blonde one"(female that is...).And I married a look alike.

"Knowing me knowing you" much better song than "Dancing Queen"

I can't think of anything I'd describe as a "guilty pleasure" in my collection. But, more importantly, why be embarrassed about anything you like? Life's too short to let others' tastes get in the way of your enjoyment.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

quote" But, more importantly, why be embarrassed about anything you like? Life's too short to let others' tastes get in the way of your enjoyment.[/QUOTE]

Well,that is the essence of my post "I am NOT ashamed" actually of anything in my collection

So why are you intimating otherwise?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN