The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 03:19 AM

Learned this lesson about 15 years ago after cracking a really nice fretless bass fingerboard. I now pay close attention. Added benefits include rarely adjusting my guitars and basses as well as stuff staying in tune forever.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:24 AM

A number of years ago I got lazy with humidification and stopped doing it. I've been fortunate as they have all pretty much settled in and no cracks, though the action on the selmer type guitars goes crazy and I have to seriously shim the bridges. This year, esp with a new to me Taylor 910 I plan to be more careful. That guitar is 20 years old and no cracks, but still. This is New England and things can get dry. Interesting that the original documentation on the Taylor (I even have the original receipt from Guitar Center of all places) has extensive warnings about wet guitar, I guess that being less of a thing that people are aware of.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:50 AM

What a silly thread. Don't you know you can just leave your guitar out of the case all the time and not worry. Yes folks, I've read it here numerous times. Humidity issues are just a myth! All those old guitars were beaten up and not humidified and there's so many of them left that you can see they survived just fine. This is simply a distraction and nothing to worry about at all.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 AM

Here in Philadelphia it’s been steady rain for 3 days straight… kind of looking forward to turning off the noisy de-humidifier and getting out the humidifier!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Another New Englander here. The heat went on last night. Off in the morning after coffee.

We'll continue on that rotation (when needed) for as long as we can.

We've noticed everything seems to be 'coming early' this year, like 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.

Fortunately for me, no worries about humidity this season!
it's getting close we're holdin on as long as we can

National Grid is going to own everyone's but this year. Arg!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Here in li'l ol' England (the old one)Autumn has definitely happened and our brand new lawn is now covered with brown leaves.

We don't have "furnaces" here, we have what we call "gas boilers" which are gas (not petrol or gasoline) but the stuff that burns with a blue flame on your kitchen hob.

I don't switch it on or off, it has an inside and outside monitor and switches itself on/off when it thinks we might feel cold, plus of course to heat water.

It started waking me up about 7-10 days ago, so I guess Autumn started then.

RH inside the house has been between 50-60% for about two months now so most of the good stuff is in cases.

We are concerned here as we have been advised that there might be gas shortages, if the winter is very hard, because of the war.

My house is new (42 years old), so we have no alternative heating facility.

I've been thinking about putting some guitars on an outside wall but with some internal insulation - maybe I'll delay that plan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion