The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Default Thoughts on the Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut?

I saw one of these the other day at GC and thought it looked cool. Poor man's L-00 or CEO7. I didn't have a chance to play it thought. Anyone check this model out? What is the Advanced Response like feel like?

Thanks!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-walnut-burst
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM

I bought one of these three months ago and it remains my most played acoustic. It has, to my ears, this wooly, vintage sound that makes it perfect for finger-picking blues.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I had a chance to play a few guitars at a gc 3 weeks ago, this one was the favorite, and far from the most expensive.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:47 AM

I was hot for an L-00 Studio myself. Played three different ones that all sounded about the same with a nice midrange, but not as boxy as some other small bodies. Problem was two out of the three had neck issues. One had a hump near the neck joint and the other had a neck set at a slightly bad angle. Couldn't get the good one for a discount at the Guitar Center. In the meantime, I found a used Gibson Parlor that I liked a little better. Same spruce top, walnut sides and back with the same Performance neck, which is comfortable once yo get used to it. Feels a little thick at first, but that's compared to my Taylor neck.

So, try a few of the Studios and take a good hard look at the neck for issues, but if you find a good one at a decent price, they are fun to play.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I will likely be in the minority here, but I too saw one in a GC, just yesterday, and played with it for 20 min or so. It didn't work for me - something about the feel in my hands and the "stubby" bass response - if that makes sense. I know that works well for certain kinds of music. You should try one out and see if it works for yours.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:36 AM

I played on a few weeks ago in the UK, the neck didn't work for me, prefer Gibsons slim taper neck, the advanced response neck has a bit more meat on it, you may prefer this ?
It was a nice wee guitar but I ended up buying an Eastman 00 which had a great neck, good sound and was nearly half the price of the Gibson, although Gibsons tend to be a bit more expensive in the UK. I also played the Gibson L-00 standard which I liked a lot more.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:20 PM

I researched 00 sized guitars for about six months and narrowed my choices to four guitars. Gibson L-00 Studio as well as the L-00 Standard, Martin CEO, and Larrivee 00-40M
In the end it was a draw down between the Larrivee and the Martin.
The Larrivee finally went home with me because; it had the most versatile tone, the sound was well balanced from string to string, the neck was perfect for me, I preferred the long scale over the short, And I preferred the aesthetics over the others.

That said, I started out to buy a Gibson L-00 Standard as I do own other Gibson’s, but both Gibson’s Were disappointing. I did NOT like the walnut sound Or neck of the Studio. I did like the sound of the Standard but for some reason I did not connect with it. The one thing that I dislike about the Gibson L-00 is that the neck ends A couple of inches short of The sound hole, which to me is kind of unsettling.

Good luck in choosing.

Blues
Old 02-25-2020, 08:33 PM

I bought an L-00 Studio last fall. I liked the whole package (sound playability and looks). I find the neck fits my hand better than almost any I have played for any length of time. I grow more appreciative of this guitar all the time.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:55 AM

I played 2 L-00 Studios in a GC about two weeks ago. I played them for about 45 minutes in one of their quiet little guitar rooms. They sounded OK but not as good as an L-00 Standard I used to own (which I never should have sold). They sounded small and thin to me, not a sound that agrees with how I play. The neck felt like a regular newer Gibson neck, which I like. I would suggest trying a couple out to see if they have a sound you like or dislike.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:13 AM

I simply can't get past the flat-sawn black walnut on a $1500 guitar.

Walnut is a domestic wood in ample supply. Other than cost-cutting, I can't understand why someone would chose to make guitars from flat-sawn wood when quartered wood is readily available.

It will be interesting to see, in the years coming, whether or not centuries of instrument-making conventional wisdom to use quarter sawn materials was right or there are many flat-sawn black walnut guitars with splits in their backs and/or sides. With modern environmental controls, and the willingness of many guitar owners to border on obsession over humidity control, perhaps flat sawn is fine. The splits aren't likely to be covered by the manufacturers' warrantees.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion