The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Eon One Compact: GAS Can Help You Appreciate What You Have

I purchased an Eon One Compact last week and am pretty sure I’ll be returning it this week.

The only sound system I own and have ever gigged with is a first-year-of-production Fishman SA220. For some years now I’ve been interested in getting a second system that has a smaller footprint. Years ago I tried and returned a Loudbox Mini. The next unit that caught my eye was the Boss Acoustic Singer Live and, skinflint that I am, I hesitated and missed out on a half-price deal.

Then last December I happened on the AGF thread on the new Eon One Compact (EOC) and got big-time GAS. After pouring over the threads and videos, I pulled the trigger on an open box deal on Amazon and the EOC was delivered last Friday.

The tone produced was good right off the bat, with no EQing and using the Flat and Performance presets. AGF commenters had expressed concerns about the Hi-Z input’s volume and volume in general, but I didn’t hear a problem when using my passive K&K-equipped guitar. I was not all that impressed with the effects, however, especially the chorus, which unless turned way up, was hardly noticeable, and when it was noticeable, was to my ear unpleasant.

While the Bluetooth app control was one of the features that had drawn me to the Compact, it turned out to be a turn-off, in that the connection repeatedly dropped after about 15 seconds and took ten seconds to reconnect. I updated the firmware and the app itself but it still refused to stay connected. This issue certainly could be caused my phone’s older, non-upgradable Bluetooth version, but it dawned on me that I wasn’t sure I wanted a major feature of a product to be dependent on the functioning of a second costly device.

Two other issues cemented my concern about whether the EOC would suit me. The first reminded me of something I liked about my SoloAmp. Like many column systems, the volume when sitting next to the SA is pretty much what the audience will hear. With the Compact I noticed a significant volume dropoff and to get it at a good audience level required me to have it uncomfortably loud when near by.

The second issue reminded me of why I’d returned the Loudbox Mini. For the first hour of testing, I’d been playing guitar only. When at last I added vocals, not long into a song I heard a breakup in the speaker. I repeated the phrase and the same thing occurred. Needless to say, this was yet another big disappointment.

While the Eon One Compact has a lot to recommend it, I’ll most likely be returning it. The upside of getting to try it was that it gave me an appreciation of my old SA220. It’s definitely showing signs of aging and I’ll probably have to replace it in a year or so, but for now I think I’ll stick with it, warts and all.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-28-2020, 10:56 AM

Good to here a post honeymoon kind of review for these.

Helped cure me of the desire for both an S1 and a Eon Compact.

Thanks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM

I know 2 really accomplished singer/songwriters in my area that have used (and still use) the Fishman 220 and swear by it. Both of these guys have the means ($) to upgrade but won't consider it. There is one for sale @ a mom n pop guitar store near me...excellent condition..$400...I'm tempted as im currently looking for an ALL in one..light weight rig (I have the L1M2B2...but it's more than I need for a lot of venues i play). I don't mean to hijack this thread but since you owned one for so long can you maybe speak of the pros/cons of your 220? (Just me, acoustic and vox would go through this unit and id sometimes use it to practice with my folk-rock band).
Old 01-28-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I know 2 really accomplished singer/songwriters in my area that have used (and still use) the Fishman 220 and swear by it. Both of these guys have the means ($) to upgrade but won't consider it. There is one for sale @ a mom n pop guitar store near me...excellent condition..$400...I'm tempted as im currently looking for an ALL in one..light weight rig (I have the L1M2B2...but it's more than I need for a lot of venues i play). I don't mean to hijack this thread but since you owned one for so long can you maybe speak of the pros/cons of your 220? (Just me, acoustic and vox would go through this unit and id sometimes use it to practice with my folk-rock band).
Sent a PM.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-28-2020, 04:18 PM

I do honestly think the JBL EOC isn't that great of a product (no offense to the forumers who own and love it!). It's doing something new and exciting with the bluetooth mixing + battery power, but the overall execution seems lacking. If only more companies were interested in pushing the boundaries of what's possible with a system like that!
Old 01-29-2020, 01:12 AM

As a solo artist at base, I skipped a lot of viable (albeit heavier) options and ended up with a used sa330x/sub/expander for cheaper then the all in one competition. It’s a flexible setup for what’s required weight wise (can do sub or no sub depending on if I have a bass player) and should I ever need more I’ll just use the column + line in front of house the QSC K10.2 line.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:28 AM

Win some, lose some. I otoh traded my SA220 for a couple of QSC CP8s with no regrets.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s important to remember that these are battery powered portable speakers and to not expect more than is possible. A QSC 8.2 and mixer will always make these compact speakers look lacking imo.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:51 PM

I still think, paired with a condenser mic, it's the perfect small gig rig for me. I only need one easy trip from my truck in. It's quick to set up. I get a great, natural sound from it, and then it's easy to pack up and go. I don't need 120 dbs either, though, when I bring it.

I was concerned about the Bluetooth connectivity, but I've never had any issues with it. And I also made sure I could get a good sound without using the Bluetooth EQ just in case. And for me with my condenser mic, the dials on the speaker do enough. I'm glad they made it. Mine isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:23 PM

Default Eon One Compact: GAS Can Help You Appreciate What You Have

Thanks for posting your experience with it. Sorry it didn’t work out, but I think the same features that make it attractive to some (e.g. app control, battery) make it less attractive to others. The app control can be very frustrating for some. At times, it even tries my patience, and I’m one of the digital mixer fans.

I’m enjoying mine, but there are many systems on the market that I would enjoy as much, or maybe more, on a given day. For instance, I played through a NUX 50 acoustic amp with my K&K recently, and was very impressed. There’s just lots of good stuff out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification