The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 AM

I played a D-18 that was hanging near the D-13 that I ended up getting and I thought the D-13 sounded too good. So I kept checking the tag to make sure I hadn't accidentally picked up the D-18. Because I didn't want to fall in love with a guitar I couldn't afford. I thought to myself, if I can't hear the difference, I should probably get this one.
The "high end" ones I mentioned were a Martin (H)D-28 custom shop ($6K) and one of those D-18s made out of the aged wood from 1936 ($8K). Which, as you would expect, both sounded AMAZING.
Thank you all, for the great suggestions!
Old 09-04-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
I have the Eastman E2D and also the Alvarez MD60BG that others mentioned, and they both are incredible guitars with tons of volume. I also have recently played a D18 and the Alvarez is really close to it and some would even say it sounds as good. Below is a good link to a review of the Alvarez and a Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tY0...=emb_rel_pause

You can't go wrong with the Eastman E2D either. I have only had it for a few weeks and every time I strum it I am amazed by it's beautiful tone.
So, I'm strongly considering the E2D and the Alvarez MD60BG. Out of the 2, which do you like better and why? Or, if you had to sell one, which one would it be? Thank you
Old 09-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Might want to check out a Larrivée D-40. Build quality is incredible on the D-40. Sound is amazing too.Excellent guitar and comes with a case.

Last edited by otis66; 09-05-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Are you familiar with the Farida guitars being imported by Elderly Instruments in Michigan? If you search the AGF you will find many complimentary threads about them.

This one would seem to fit your bill, and only a touch more than your budget.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...tic-guitar-171

But note the one review, the poster felt it lacked bottom end, but praised its fit and finish.

I have one of their smaller models, and I love it (btw mine is not all solid).
Unless I’m going blind, That’s not a D18 style guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Unless I’m going blind, That’s not a D18 style guitar.
Good point, is is modeled on the Gibson slope shoulder dreads. I think a D 18 has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides like this Farida.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion