The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 12:08 PM

I was like "So this is what passes for innovation with Martin?" and then I saw the neck join...Cool. I wouldn't mind trying one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-17-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Innovation in shape? Hasn't Breedlove had this basic shape for a long time?
I feel like the innovation is more in the carve and the way the neck is attached. But the shape is hardly an innovation.

That has very little in common with the shape on the Martin.

It is completely about the offset. That Breedlove is not offset.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:59 PM

It's the asymmetrical neck profile, and its thin shape, that intrigues me.

I cannot thumb-wrap any of my three.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-18-2020, 07:53 AM

Why is the body laminated again? Is that supposed to be for looks or is it better live and loud?

Anyway, I would like to try the neck, but don’t expect one in my neck of woods/planet in the near future....we only just started to see last year’s stuff!

Watching the Reverb.com video, I’m thinking a few custom solid wood models might be cool. Maybe Tayloresque/Lowdenesque but solid all figured mahogany top and back/side. Or a rocker version..gloss black over solid wood back, spruce top, that blue stuff from the rosette as binding on back and front and neck! If it doesn’t sound good in black, it might look good on the wall.

BluesKing777.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:18 AM

Lost me on the 2-5/32 bridge string spacing. That's 3/32nds narrower than my minimum.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Am looking forward to playing this new model with the ergonomic neck design. I think it’s nice to see some real innovation from Martin.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-18-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

It won a Best or Show award at NAMM. I can see why.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:50 AM

Looks like serious competition for a Taylor 314 CE.

String one of each up to the same amp to best compare, plugged in.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-18-2020, 11:17 AM

Well, if it doesn't look like a Martin and it doesn't sound like a Martin and it doesn't play like a Martin and it isn't built like a Martin ... what is it?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 AM

As I said in the other thread about this new Martin, I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing it in person.

I've been trying to find a smaller or maybe just different shape of guitar that has bass approaching a dreadnaught guitar and this could be it. Perhaps.

I hope my local GC will have one soon so I can go in and try it out.

I get that some here are completely turned off by the laminate B/S along with those who look down their collective noses because of its shape or similarity to Taylor or Breedlove or whomever but for me, I will wait to pass final judgment until I get one in my hands.

Having said that however, it's safe to say I'm pretty excited to try it out. I guess you could say I'm leaning in a favorable direction even before hearing it which is the opposite of those who've dismissed it before they've heard it in person.

Like my Mom used to say, "It takes all kinds of people to make up a world."

Best,
PJ
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 PM

I don't see this as a "hybrid" guitar. It is new and different but seems to be a pretty straight forward flat-top acoustic steel-string guitar. Price point is superb and I do like the built-in sound-hole tuner but I'll have to see how it sounds upon live evaluation. All guitars can be set up to play easier and all guitars can be plugged in and/or modified to do so. How it sounds acoustically, then how it sounds plugged in with the supplied electronics will be the true test. If all that checks out as top tier, maybe I could get my mind around the laminate back and sides. I'm a bit surprised and would like to hear Martin's reasons for that. Especially when other "Road Series" guitars are all solid.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That’s a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link, Dee, and welcome to the forum.

Given the price point where Martin has positioned it, I expect we’ll start seeing these new guitars in our local music stores as soon as Martin starts shipping them out.

Which in Alaska means no sooner than April at the earliest, probably more like May. Martin doesn’t ship to us during the colder months. But I expect you folks living in warmer climates will see them fairly soon.

I’ll be delighted to play the first one I see.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks for the welcome Wade. Actually, "welcome back" as I was out of action for a few years with a health issue. But I'm baaack ;-)

As to the design, I believe the 3 layer laminate was to help tame plugged in feedback and my sense of this particular model is that plugging in was a (the) prime consideration. As a Strat and reverse Firebird player, the offset waist doesn't hurt my eye's aesthetic. I will be in Nazareth in the summer and look forward to putting the guitar through its paces. I will defer any strong opinions until then.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:06 PM

Not sure why, but at least a couple people have referred in this thread to the back and sides as being a three-layer laminate which it is not.

From the linked review article: "The back and sides are gorgeous Hawaiian koa, laid down as a fine veneer over an interior core made of solid Khaya."

Just for the sake of accuracy here.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
Not sure why, but at least a couple people have referred in this thread to the back and sides as being a three-layer laminate which it is not.

From the linked review article: "The back and sides are gorgeous Hawaiian koa, laid down as a fine veneer over an interior core made of solid Khaya."

Just for the sake of accuracy here.
For accuracy, it is Koa over Khaya and the interior is also Koa. Thus, three layers.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
For accuracy, it is Koa over Khaya and the interior is also Koa. Thus, three layers.
Is that your interpretation of "fine veneer over an interior core made of solid Khaya"? If so, that makes sense. Have you read something somewhere that explicitly says that the koa veneer is on both sides of the Khaya and is visible on the inside of the guitar as well as the outside?

If it is, that weakens my guess that a reason for using koa as a veneer, aside from the appearance, was to significantly reduce the use of a limited resource. It would mean that they're using twice as much koa as they need to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion