The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2019, 08:29 PM

I really do NOT mean to be contrarian, but how come a solid majority of the members here advocate smaller guitars for fingerstyle?

I definitely understand the demographic here is a bit older and I know I've read about shoulder problems and pain a whole bunch of times... So smaller bodied guitars definitely make lots of sense for that...

But in terms of what makes for an ideal fingerstyle guitar - why do y'all think smaller guitars are better?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I really do NOT mean to be contrarian, but how come a solid majority of the members here advocate smaller guitars for fingerstyle?

I definitely understand the demographic here is a bit older and I know I've read about shoulder problems and pain a whole bunch of times... So smaller bodied guitars definitely make lots of sense for that...

But in terms of what makes for an ideal fingerstyle guitar - why do y'all think smaller guitars are better?
One word: Balance.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:41 PM

Purely for fingerstyle, I like a rosewood 14 fret = OM-28.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 PM

00-17S is a great finger style guitar.
Martin 0-18 Custom
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
‘38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'20s Oscar Schmidt Stella
'20s Regal Superior
Old 12-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:

My generalizations (YMMV): Better balance, more complex overtones/less fundamental, touch sensitivity and response. I've fingerpicked all of my dreads (5), and many great players prefer them, I just prefer the tone and feel of an smaller bodied guitar for most of the fingerstyle stuff I play.

Dreads still rock, though!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:

000/OM comprise most of the “smaller guitar” recos, and they’re only one size down from a dreadnought in most lines of guitars, including Martin. They’re more medium, I’d say, than small.

As such, sure, the “smaller” guitars can boast of great balance...and bounce.

But my favorite guitarist, Bert Jansch, played dreads most the time. I’m not buying the idea that any particular body size has some innate advantage for “finger style.”
Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
There’s an enormous variety of Martins that can be used for fingerstyle. OMs, 12 frets with 000, 00, or 0 size, 12 fret dreads, even regular dreadnoughts. It all boils down to what flavor you’re looking for. The OM is a good all-arounder. If you want more bass and reverb, consider rosewood. If you prefer a drier sound with stronger midrange consider mahogany. 12 frets add a bit more girth, in general, but may present upper fret access issues.

I have Martin style guitars in OM and 12 fret configurations and love them all for various reasons.
Another vote of agreement - there is a kaleidoscope of colour & texture, dynamic range available across the Martin line, from the D-1 Authentic 1931 to the 000-15m, and no one determines preference for nut width and string spacing but the guitarist him/herself, and I’m also in agreement for “not buying the argument for particular body size best suited for fingerstyle”.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 PM

M36. It's a OOOO body.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 PM

I'd recommend either a 000-18 or an OM-21/OM-28 depending on your preference for mahogany (more balance) or rosewood (more bass).
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 12-20-2019, 03:38 AM

I prefer my 000mmv I just got. I play dreads only, like my 41 d28A or my 72 d18. I had a 00042 but never bonded with it, my mmv is more balanced when picking and strumming for my style.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

I have a D17M and a 000 28. I find the 28 is pretty decent for fingerstyle (I play with just my fingers, no nails involved), and it's nicely balanced across the board if you're just bringing one guitar somewhere (I play in pub trad sessions, irish folk stuff).

I kept the D17M because it's just a lovely guitar. Also it's wired for an M80 for when I want to plug in and I want to keep the 000 28 as is.

Last edited by Coler; 12-20-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:20 AM

I play exclusively fingerstyle with bare flesh. My votes:

- OM-28/21
- CEO-7

I personally like the long-scale with rosewood. However, 000-18/28 would be killer fingerpicking guitars as well.

Ll.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Better balance. The thumb is a pretty thick, powerful digit and dreads tend to be a bit bass heavy.

I tend to answer these according to my own playing style. I much prefer short scale. I played finger style for years on a D-28, but the long scale dread requires more finger pressure than I like (from the right hand).

You can, of course, play finger style on any guitar. My experience is that dreads excel at loud playing, generally with a pick. Smaller, more sensitive instruments excel at more nuanced technique.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-20-2019, 08:58 AM

I would save your money and go buy an Eastman or 2.. They offer a Dread, OM and GA in Cedar now too.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I play with finger picks (metal on fingers, plastic on thumb) and I'm pretty fond of my CEO-7. Very playable and has a nice country blues vibe. I do, however, lust after an OM-18 authentic which I would own if I could afford it. To me it is a little better balanced and just a bit louder (though the CEO-7 is pretty loud for its size).

Larry

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion