The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Question Pick Guard Removal - An Older Guitar

I used the search function here and read many of the threads on removing a pick guard. But, that leaves me with a few questions.

1. I'm going to attempt this on an OLDER guitar. It is a 2002 Taylor 414. Are there any particular things that should be considered on a 17 year old guitar?

2. I see a hair dryer is suggested. Should you use the lowest heat setting?

3. Naptha is suggested for removing any glue residue. I saw a couple threads where the member used Goo Gone. I have the Goo Gone. Is that just as good/safe of an option as Naptha?

I understand about tan lines, it's being replaced by a custom wood pick guard, so that's not an issue.

Thanks.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Work slowly and use dental floss....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Don't use heat, it could effect glue bonding on braces under the top. Very easy and quick using a light amount of naptha (lowes) around the border of the guard, give it a minute to penetrate, find an area that slightly lifts, using dental floss start working it under the guard, as it moves, drip more naptha under that area, let it work, then keep going. A sawing motion works well, side to side. Do not pull upwards against the guard if there is firm resistance, the glue can pull wood. Gentle upward motions are fine if there is nonresistance. Keep dripping naptha and give it a minute to work as you go. Overall time is about 5 minutes for removal. The naptha is used to clean old glue from the bare top and backside of the picguard. 3M adhesive sheets are available thru stew Mac to reglue the guard or another.
Naptha is an excellent overall cleaner and will not damage nitro or poly finish. It's also excellent to drip on a perceived Crack to see if the ccrack is thru and thru. It evaporates quickly.
Some lighter fluids contain naptha, but the content is getting more and more less. Straight naptha can be found at lowes and other stores of the same.
Also if you pull upwards to much, the picguard will distort,if you want to reuse it, go slow with little to no force on the guard.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 PM

I agree on the not using heat.
I use heat guns for all kinds of guitar stuff, but I've been doing it for decades.
I know what's going to happen before it happens.
For someone who's never used it before, I wouldn't recommend it on something you care about.
I always say a real guitar with value that you care about is no place to learn or experiment on.

I wanted to add here that your Very best friend in this will be Patience.
Don't have expectations you'll get it off in 5 minutes.
Just let that thought go out the window.
You'll wind up forcing and rushing and ruin something.
Mentally allow the process a half hour or so.
So if the dental floss and naptha is going slowly, it will be going Exactly according to plan.
And you won't rush or force anything.
Eastman 2012 AH6OM
Eastman 2016 HE-222GAC
Eastman 2018 E1SS Ltd
La Patrie Presentation
La Patrie Collection
Old 11-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Don't use heat

I like Eastman guitars but I don't like their pick guards. I have replaced 4 of them. The first two with a hair dryer. I read an AGF post by Wade strongly cautioning against heat on the surface of the guitar. It may work but it also may cause problems down the road that at first aren't apparent. I read the same caution by a poster named Bert over on the EGF forum. The last two guitars I simply used naptha, a couple q-tips, a couple of thin picks and a lot of patience. Worked like a charm. The finish on the Eastmans is nitro so the naptha also helped in cleaning up any residue without harming the finish. Just speaking from my experience.

Tom
Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 PM

I always use a heat gun.

Its really simple to do

Lift a corner and fold some tape under and over

With some light warm air from a heat gun soften the glue or adhesive strip underneath

Until its gone

Then clean up

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-23-2019, 05:21 AM

If I do heat one, I use a hair dryer on the low setting. Much less heat than a heat gun. In my experience, you will incur finish damage long before the braces come loose. Test the heat by placing your hand on the surface. If you can't hold your hand on it without discomfort, it is too hot.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, that really helps. Also, from the sounds of it, removing a PG on an older guitar doesn't pose any additional concerns. I appreciate the feedback.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Besides the shadow, the only other issue on older guitars is the condition of the glue. In some (not all) cases, the glue can become less pliable, and less soluble in naphtha. But most of the time, the only complication is more rubbing to remove the glue.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:18 AM

I think it depends on the heat gun. The one I have has a variable setting and I can get it so low it's actually not as hot as a typical hair dryer.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 AM

There you go. The only heat gun I have is one of the small ones used to heat shrink tubing for electric insulation. It's hot enough to light a cigarette, and will blister lacquer in an instant.
I do see a big variation in the pressure sensitive glue used to attach pickguards. The real 3M product (465, 467) tends to be thinner and less likely to harden with age, when compared to the Chinese stuff. The Chinese are completely shameless when it comes to ripping off the name. Ebay is full of Chinese pickguards with the peel-off paper, proudly printed with '3M' all over it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair