The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Great replies and I have used the K10 and Mixer before .. Yes sound is really great. Plus it's a Versatile speaker that can be used in other ways too. No complaints.

But I guess I'm wanting to stay away from the bulky speaker and stands .. I certainly may change mind if and as my little Solo "act" evolves. But Bose L1c is sleek and seems to get excellent reviews for "what it is" .. For solo musician.

The speaker stand issue is one of the compelling things about the Bose. Plus I like what I'm reading about dispersion and not "blowing" away the folks close to the speakers system. Including me...

In addition, I think the only one who "cares" what I sound like is me... I doubt the patrons care. Only that they can carry on a conversation while I "strum and croon" ..

I dunno.. With GC's liberal return policy. May just pop for the L1c and see for myself on my next gig on Nov 10.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 AM

If you can't get the requisite distance between you and the tower, it can be annoyingly loud and beamy on stage. The throw properties are greatly influenced by stage obstructions like any speaker, more so for the "array" magic and unless you can clear the path from the tower to the crowd, there will be dead spots in the back of the room.

hunter
Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
If you can't get the requisite distance between you and the tower, it can be annoyingly loud and beamy on stage. The throw properties are greatly influenced by stage obstructions like any speaker, more so for the "array" magic and unless you can clear the path from the tower to the crowd, there will be dead spots in the back of the room.

hunter
Good advice.

So many variables and no "perfect" system OR one that fits all situations..
Lots of choices though and perhaps compromises with any of 'em.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:07 PM

I got started on Bose 10 years ago with borrowed equipment: first with the compact, then with the big L1-II and then after quite a few years bought my own mid-size version the LI-S which comes with the Tonematch T-1 preamp. The compact does need a pre-amp, imho, and though I played a lot of gigs without a pre, I wasn't entirely happy with the mix. The T-1 pre made an incredible difference, though it's pricey and I think that any decent pre would do the trick.

I can't follow all the discussion nuances of different amps, especially since I don't have much experience with other systems. But I've gotten rave reviews from a fair number of other musicians regarding the utterly clean and beautiful tones that I get from the system, so I never felt the need to change. With the Bose you will be hearing what the audience hears, so if it's sounding good to you (and it should) that's going to be about how the audience hears it.

Given also that the compact is so light and easy to set up, it's about the cat's meow for a solo artist.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Another comment, this one regarding the Bose T1 Tone Generator/Mixer... ( I have seen a variety of different mixers used with the Bose L1 models, and they DO work fine, but...)

The T1 IS pricey, no doubt... but don't think it's "just an expensive small mixer"! I got one with my first Bose system, mostly because I found a used Model I, saved a bunch of money and thought, "Why not?"... I started out thinking it was that quote above...

What I discovered is that it is an INCREDIBLE little gizmo! A small (3 mci/line inputs and a combo of 2 line level inputs for channels 4 and 5) mixer, but it will pretty mch do anything I want it to do...

Every effect is assignable to any channel, and you can change parameters for any effect on different channels... the Tonematch section has a very extensive array of "sounds" that have already been tailored to the description, but each of those are "tweakable", using each channel's parametric and 3 band tone controls... reverbs, delays (alas, no reverse noisegate!), gates, chorus, flangers, phasers...

And once I have things set for a particular room, I "save" the scene and can recall it for the next gig in the same room... a VERY useful feature. About the only thing I have a problem with is to remember to "save" the scene once I make any alterations to the settings...

All this, and the unit is designed to work with the L1s or the Model II; one multi-pin cable delivers signal to the main PA and returns the power for the mixer itself, leading to an extremely sanitary set-up and look on stage...

Check them out! If you do decide to get one, I heartily recommend purchasing the AC adapter for those times when you want to use it with a different system... I use mine with my AER Compact when I'm gigging with both guitars (6 & 12 string) plus vocal. I know one player on this Forum who takes his with him on tours to use as a "front-end" on stage with different PA systems... it is REALLY a great little unit!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I've had the Bose L1 Compact and the Bose L1 Model II with T1 ToneMatch and two B1 Subwoofers and can say without reservation that of all the systems I've owned over many years, the Bose equipment sounds the most natural for acoustic music.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post

hunter
This has been a problem for me as well; this observation is not specific to any one manufacturer, but is simply a feature of the tower/stick-type systems: in some venues with very limited space, the column was right in back of me — pointing at my head. I realize that an oft-cited attribute of such column systems is that the musician can hear themselves better (this can indeed be a problem), but the converse consequence in a tight footprint can be the mid/tweeter array being pretty close to the back of the musician’s head using a column/stick system.

It seems like there are always pro and cons.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I did a direct A-B between Fishman 330x (with sub and without sub) compared to my Bose L1 Compact. You can gig with the 330x without sub but in my experience using my guitar, the 330x sounds better and more natural with the sub even with soo acoustic guitar. Switching the X-over on the Fishman sub to 125hz seems to make the 300x sound much better to my ears and to the Sales guy in the Pro Audio dept where we did the direct A-B. Without the Fishman sub added in, the 330X sounded rather nasal and had a hardness to the the sound, even when using the channel EQ on the 330x try and tailor the sound.

The Bose L1 Compact just simply sounds natural and great. And you don't need to spend money on an extra sub with the L1 Compact. Caveats; the Bose L1 Compact has no reverb or feedback notch filter, nor does it have EQ for the second channel. But it sounds great out of the box! For ease of use and great natural acoustic sound, the Bose L1 Compact is my first choice.

The surprise was the Turbosound IP1000. For,$799! It sounds nearly as good or better than the Bose L1 Compact. But the tower line array is one large heavy piece. Also, the handle on The Turbosound IP1000 its off center and does not balance carrying with one hand.bummer. But what a great value.

Bose L1 Compact for the win for me.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 10-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:55 AM

I've been a working musician for over thirty years, and I bought a Bose L1 Compact back in August to avoid carrying around a traditional PA system. Since then I've played more than a dozen gigs with it, and couldn't be happier.

The rooms I play are usually 30-80 seat pubs, or patio's. The audiences I play for are generally older and don't want it too loud. Neither do I.

I mostly use it amplify my voice and archtop guitar, and for that it sounds very good right out of the box. It also works really well for my upright bass, and I have been using it for that on jazz gigs.

Usually, I set it up about two feet behind me and about four feet to my right. Sounds good from there and I can still reach the controls.

I also bought a Heath&Allen ZED10FX mixer to use in duo situations, which makes it sound even better.

For me the best qualities of the Bose L1C are,

- easy to carry and set up

- takes up almost no space on location, especially compared to a pair of stands and speakers.

- virtually immune to feed back from the mic

- very good sound quality, especially for the audience

- looks nice and professional on stage

I doubted the concept for many years, but it works very well for my purposes.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 AM

/\/\/\

Pnewsom that sums it up very nicely.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
I've been a working musician for over thirty years, and I bought a Bose L1 Compact back in August to avoid carrying around a traditional PA system. Since then I've played more than a dozen gigs with it, and couldn't be happier.

The rooms I play are usually 30-80 seat pubs, or patio's. The audiences I play for are generally older and don't want it too loud. Neither do I.

I mostly use it amplify my voice and archtop guitar, and for that it sounds very good right out of the box. It also works really well for my upright bass, and I have been using it for that on jazz gigs.

Usually, I set it up about two feet behind me and about four feet to my right. Sounds good from there and I can still reach the controls.

I also bought a Heath&Allen ZED10FX mixer to use in duo situations, which makes it sound even better.

For me the best qualities of the Bose L1C are,

- easy to carry and set up

- takes up almost no space on location, especially compared to a pair of stands and speakers.

- virtually immune to feed back from the mic

- very good sound quality, especially for the audience

- looks nice and professional on stage

I doubted the concept for many years, but it works very well for my purposes.

Well said. I agree on all points. This mirrors my personal experience.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM

Great info... GRoberts. Your comparison is very helpful.

Thanks for the input on the Turbo Sound. That seems like a great option as well. But I think the Bose wins on portability..Which is important.

But that IP1000 gets some great reviews for sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I did a direct A-B between Fishman 330x (with sub and without sub) compared to my Bose L1 Compact. You can gig with the 330x without sub but in my experience using my guitar, the 330x sounds better and more natural wth the sub even with sol acoustic guitar. Switchthe xover to 125hz. That makes the 300x sound much better. Without the sub, it sounded rather nasal to me even using channel EQ on the 330x.

The Bose L1Compact just simply sounds natural and great. And you need to spend money on an extra sub. Caveats; the Bose has no reverb or feedback notch filter, nor does it have EQ on the second channel. But for ease of use and great, natural, acoustic sound, the Bose L1 Compact is my first choice.

The surprise was the Turbosound IP1000. For,$799! It sounds nearly as good or better than the Bose L1 Compact. But the tower line array is one large heavy piece. Also, the handle on The Turbosound IP1000 its off center and does not balance carrying with one hand.bummer. But what a great value.

Bose L1 Compact for the win for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Great info... GRoberts. Your comparison is very helpful.

Thanks for the input on the Turbo Sound. That seems like a great option as well. But I think the Bose wins on portability..Which is important.

But that IP1000 gets some great reviews for sound!
I realize I could have embellished a bit more clearly. But glad you got the point. Yeah, for $799 (and maybe getting a better discount off that price) the TurboSound IP1000 was quite impressive.

But the Bose is clearly more portable, lighter and for my intended needs is great sounding and easier to transport. That means a lot to me since I gig and perform at least a dozen shows monthly.

Side bar: My Duo, trio and 4 piece band use a pair of Bose L1 Compacts as our main PA (depending on the gig, volume needs etc. We use the pair for vocals, acoustic guitar, we mic our electric guitarist and also use one overhead mic for drums.

We use a Behringer X-air Mixer and just got a Mackie ProDX8 mixer that works great too. The pair of Bose L1 Compacts offer great dispersion. The band hears essentially what goes out to the house. They are very resistant to feedback as well. Hard to beat the Bose L1 Compact.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jake? One more thing... I believe that Bose has their annual "sale" soon (may be on now?); it's a good way to save 15% on a new Compact if you're leaning that direction... Bose usually has a sale every winter, I just can't recall which months...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Hey Jake? One more thing... I believe that Bose has their annual "sale" soon (may be on now?); it's a good way to save 15% on a new Compact if you're leaning that direction... Bose usually has a sale every winter, I just can't recall which months...
Thanks!
Yep another member mentioned that too.
Supposed to start Nov 1.

$850 is a pretty sweet deal .. Considering I have seen used ones on ebay going for nearly that much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification