The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Beginner looking at a Martin MMV

I started learning to play acoustic guitar on my son's Fender Squire. He isn't always around so I'd like to get my own guitar. I found a Martin MMV for sale and want to know if this is a good deal and would it be good for a beginner like me.

Here is some of the description:
A couple very small nicks in the top that don't break the finish and a small curved ding next to the pick guard. Nice low action and easy to play with plenty of saddle to spare. The saddle is still at factory height. Solid spruce top with nice silking and solid rosewood back and sides. Matching of the wood on the sides and back is well done. No cracks and no finish checking in its full gloss (top, sides and back) nitro finish.

This one has a genuine ebony fingerboard and bridge, unlike more recent production versions which use a man-made material called "Richlite." Ebony is a nice touch in a guitar in this price range.

Serial number per the Martin website makes it a late 2007 production.

Has a K&K pickup installed which works very well. (You can use it with the Crate acoustic amp I'm selling for $80...) It sounds great, with plenty of low end. Comes with original Martin hard shell case.

I upgraded the tuners to classic nickel-finish, full sized 18:1 Grover Rotomatics. The holes lined up and they are a perfect fit. In theory these tuners are supposed to tarnish over time and look more classy and elegant and vintage as compared to the chrome ones, though there is no sign yet of that happening. They still look bright and shiny, as you can see. I also upgraded the bridge pins with matching Stew-Mac tortoise ones that match the pick guard.

That is most of the description. The guitar is listed for $950

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by jacknicholson; 01-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 PM

That's probably not a bad price, since it has a pickup. If you don't need a pickup I found this one for sale:
https://reverb.com/p/martin-mmv-natu..._source=google
Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 PM

The MMV guitars were kind of a hybrid: 28 style woods and appointments, but "lower end" construction (mortise and tenon neck joint and A-Frame bracing).

They're good guitars by all accounts. I was impressed with the 000MMV I played a while ago. $950 sounds about right for one in excellent condition but if it's got some cosmetic flaws I would try to negotiate a little if possible.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I have an MMV dreadnought, bought it new in 2012. I paid just over $1,200 back then if memory serves.

I think the asking price is right about at market, and maybe a bit below if the K and K is in good working order.

A new one will run you about $1,500 when GC and MF have a sale, the everyday retail price was a few hundred more last time I looked.

This was my first good guitar. I think it will work well for you. I still play mine often, both with a pick and bare fingers. It is loud
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM

An MMV would be a great guitar for a new player. I was impressed with the one I played a couple years ago.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:06 PM

Ex. guitar. I owned one for a couple of years until I bought my D-35. Didn't figured I really needed 2 Martins with the same wood combinations. If I hadn't bought the D-35 I would still own the MMV. You should go for it. I don't think you would regret it. As far as I'm concerned you can't hardly beat the K&K pick up either.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:13 PM

I came ever so close to buying a flawless pre-owned MMV last year at GC. The sales guy let me play the MMV and D-28 side by side as a comparison. Honestly, I couldn't really tell the difference in sound.

Had the high e-string not have a weird thing where it rolled off the side fret/fingerboard, I would have walked out with it that day. It was as if that string was too close to the edge of the frets. Other than that, it was cosmetically flawless and was listed for $1100. Sales rep said I could walk out with it for $950. No pickup installed.
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies this quick. Thank you all for the input.

I hope to see the guitar in person this weekend.

Thanks again,
Old 01-17-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
That's probably not a bad price, since it has a pickup. If you don't need a pickup I found this one for sale:
https://reverb.com/p/martin-mmv-natu..._source=google
I would be concerned by the term "weather cracks." Could that be cracks caused by humidity (weather)? I just say clear of anything that says an acoustic has a crack (or in this case, cracks) in the wood, especially on the top. Am I wrong to be so cautious?

It says the cracks don't impair the sound ... but still, cracks?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknicholson View Post
Wow! I didn't expect so many replies this quick.
A screen name like yours will get you a lot of respect around here

Welcome aboard.

BTW, if you buy it and have your central heating on you will want to keep it cased and humidified when not being played. I use one of these guys to keep it from drying out and possibly cracking the finish, or worse.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Acce.../dp/B0002D0COE

I don't worry about it until relative humidity in my house gets to the low 30's with this one, it is sturdily built. Other folks like to keep RH above 40 % inside the case.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, but some beginners have learned about this the hard way
Old 01-17-2020, 02:16 PM

The MMV models were always underpriced GC models that shone well above their price point. That's an average going price although it was what some of the early MMV's went for new. Widely appreciated by most who have ever played them.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:53 PM

Mmvs are ok,but for that money,I'd rather buy a larrivee d03,nice neck compared to the very slim neck on the martin,also if it has a pickup,the original hole for the strap will never be as original,the hole will be larger.
The necks on the mmvs are modified something or other,very tight.
Also ,I would look at a Taylor 310 used.nice guitars also
Good luck with your search,remember,buyer beware
Dave
Old 01-17-2020, 03:09 PM

So I had an MMV for a number of years before I sold it for my Furch. It is a pretty good guitar. The neck is smooth and easy to play. Do be aware that the nut is a narrower nut, but it doesn't really feel that narrow.

It is a bit of a Bass hog (which I think is the A brace). They only strings I could stand on it were the Aluminum Bronze EB strings.

If you are looking just because of the headstock, there are better options imho.

I'd say look at the Yamaha A5r series (https://reverb.com/item/27793788-yam...intage-natural)

Just play a lot of brands that you can.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Still nobody here is concerned that this used MMV on Reverb has weather cracks?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Still nobody here is concerned that this used MMV on Reverb has weather cracks?
i don't think the OP is looking at that one - it was just a suggestion by another forum member.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, martin, mmv