The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 AM

Not quite an exact comparison but when I was shopping for an acoustic amp, I tried the Loudbox Artist against the Marshall AS100D and found the Marshall to have a more natural sound, the Fishman more processed. So actually the opposite of the OP's experience by listening to youtube clips. Youtube reviews can be helpful, but of course there are so many variables there (amp setting, how the amp is mic'ed, whether it is going straight into the PC, soundcards, streaming sound resolution, YOUR PC's soundcard, your PC's speakers, etc.) it is going to be difficult to know what you are hearing if you are trying to A/B.

The Fishmans get such universal praise, you are unlikely to be disappointed. My experience with the Marshall (admittedly the bigger one) is that I couldn't be happier... except it's so big I need to find a smaller one for when I am playing with the band in small spaces (I swap between acoustic and electric, so need two amps and pedalboards). So... I am saving for a Fishman mini.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM

My first acoustic amp was a Marshall AS50R. I only sold it after I purchased a Schertler JAM 150.

It was a great amp. I compared it to just about everything else in that price range before selecting it. The only issue was that it was a little more difficult to get it dialed in right than my current amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 PM

I picked up a used, like new AS50D today.

Haven't put vocals though it yet... But my J-45 sounds killer!

Last edited by JakeStone; 06-09-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 AM

This little Marshall is really amazing ! I couldn't be happier for the price paid (picked up used for under $200)

I played a small gathering last night .. Solo Guitar and Vocals. Did about 40 minute set..

I had my Vocals through my TC Helicon Harmony Gxt (just a touch of Reverb and just a single harmony via foot switch). Then sent that to the 2nd channel on the Marshall. Guitar through to channel 1.. touch of reverb from amp. (No chorus.)

Sounded very natural and nice full bottom end.... I did have the amp on floor .. tilted up slightly. It sounded better on floor as opposed to on a chair.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 AM

The Marshall is a really good acoustic amp. Ive been using it for years, its bigger cousin the 100D.

I only changed because I bought an AER, which is no doubt a superior amp. Having said that the Marshall is fantastic in its own right.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
The Marshall is a really good acoustic amp. Ive been using it for years, its bigger cousin the 100D.

I only changed because I bought an AER, which is no doubt a superior amp. Having said that the Marshall is fantastic in its own right.
Good to know... I am always looking to upgrade my gear (GAS).

But for now, I am glad to experience the Marshall. I would love to try the next level up in amps sometime to hear the difference.. Like the AER or Schecter and a couple others I've recently heard about.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Marshall AS100D for Home Use?

Can the beast be tamed for home practice? Or is it simply too much? I don't play loud. I like the added effects/features over the smaller AS50D model.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification