The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Default What kind of VST instrument would you use for this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIABK-0ohQ

or here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE_TKkNi9E8

I'm looking for that really simple kind of fuzzy-sounding piano-like synth? They're pretty similar and it sounds like it should be easy to figure it out but I can't seem to recreate this sound with any of the synth vsts I've downloaded (and I've downloaded A LOT, with thousands of presets). I'm a noob at this kind of stuff and I've tried playing around with my plugins and still can't figure anything out. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:20 PM

It's not clear to me which sound you're trying to duplicate. Try posting specific places, minutes and seconds, in each of those tunes as an example.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 PM

I am with runamuck here but from what I am hearing sounds like your basic organ and electric piano treated with copious amounts of tweaked delay perhaps some chorus flange. So I would look at those time based fx with the VSTi's you already have.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I am with runamuck here but from what I am hearing sounds like your basic organ and electric piano treated with copious amounts of tweaked delay perhaps some chorus flange. So I would look at those time based fx with the VSTi's you already have.
Yes my guess would be piano ( maybe even perhaps run through something like a Leslie cab). and perhaps yes chorus and my first thought was some mild flanging.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-27-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIABK-0ohQ

or here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE_TKkNi9E8

I'm looking for that really simple kind of fuzzy-sounding piano-like synth? They're pretty similar and it sounds like it should be easy to figure it out but I can't seem to recreate this sound with any of the synth vsts I've downloaded (and I've downloaded A LOT, with thousands of presets). I'm a noob at this kind of stuff and I've tried playing around with my plugins and still can't figure anything out. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
1st one

Wurlitzer, Rhodes or other elec. piano w/release maxxed out and attack minimized.
Maybe an organ patch under it. The gurgling bass is probably arpeggiated.
It could be any number of key-board type instruments.

2nd

Start w/a Wurly/Rhodes/organ. Then there is a synth pad with a brassy tail.
Several pads have that sound. Go through your vst pads until you find it. It's there.

Pretty common sounds actually. On a synth that has Knob control of attack/release, it should be pretty easy
to experiment. I prefer tweaking w/Roland's because the newer ones have 5 pre-assigned knobs. No menu diving.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 09-27-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Okay, I took all of your suggestions and this isn't really all that similar to the synth keyboard sounds James Blake creates, but its just something I put together in Logic that's hopefully at least reminiscent of that minimalistic electric piano + bass style he does? Basically I used an electric piano vst and turned the release knob all the way up and attack knob all the way down and just did some other tweaking which didn't really help but thats the closest I could do. Any suggestions about where to go from here? Haha

Also I have no idea where that extra 3 minutes of silence came from, apparently Logic doesn't know how to bounce project files correctly.

Last edited by sam-v; 09-29-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
Okay, I took all of your suggestions and this isn't really all that similar to the synth keyboard sounds James Blake creates, but its just something I put together in Logic that's hopefully at least reminiscent of that minimalistic electric piano + bass style he does? Basically I used an electric piano vst and turned the release knob all the way up and attack knob all the way down and just did some other tweaking which didn't really help but thats the closest I could do. Any suggestions about where to go from here? Haha

Also I have no idea where that extra 3 minutes of silence came from, apparently Logic doesn't know how to bounce project files correctly.

I would play that in the higher registers. Don't use Logic(Cubase here) but I can only assume you didn't set the location markers in Arrangement window
or perhaps didn't check a box when you rendered the file. There is enough Logic users here that may be of assistance
Old 09-29-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I would play that in the higher registers. Don't use Logic(Cubase here) but I can only assume you didn't set the location markers in Arrangement window
or perhaps didn't check a box when you rendered the file. There is enough Logic users here that may be of assistance
I bet you're right, I'm still new to Logic haha. I did try the piano in a higher octave, not sure I really liked how it sounded... But I have pretty limited options for electric piano VSTs to work with. By the way I came across another James Blake song that better represents the sound I'm trying to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdhY3O55ftI

It's the exact same keyboard/synth sound he used in the first video I posted but it can probably better be heard here in this song. I just love this sound and can't seem to get it anywhere close no matter how much tweaking I do.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 PM

Well, FWIW, he's playing a Prophet 8.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
Well, FWIW, he's playing a Prophet 8.

Yeah he does all of it through his Prophet 08 I'm pretty sure, it's just such a simple sound that I feel like it should be easy to recreate using synth plug-ins and a midi keyboard, but so far that hasn't been the case. It almost reminds me of something you'd hear in like a 90's video game or something, wish I could figure it out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD