The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Editing unwanted noise Garageband/Ozone 5 mastering

Hi, we're recording a cd for solo guitar stuff (just for selling at shows/busking etc) using an apogee mic & Jam. Sounding pretty good but we have the occasional thump from breathing on mic. Is there a way to cut it easily?

Also using Ozone 5 to master, & while don't really know how to use it properly have just tried the cd master preset, which seems to be pretty good for us but should we try looking a bit deeper? Have read the preset is frowned upon by those in the know, but not sure we have the time to learn how to use it properly.

Any tips appreciated, thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynz View Post
Hi, we're recording a cd for solo guitar stuff (just for selling at shows/busking etc) using an apogee mic & Jam. Sounding pretty good but we have the occasional thump from breathing on mic. Is there a way to cut it easily?

Also using Ozone 5 to master, & while don't really know how to use it properly have just tried the cd master preset, which seems to be pretty good for us but should we try looking a bit deeper? Have read the preset is frowned upon by those in the know, but not sure we have the time to learn how to use it properly.

Any tips appreciated, thanks
Are you using a pop filter in front of the mic?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 PM

No, it's just fingertsyle guitar with no vocals. I think it's just occasionally when he's leant forward while playing. I've just tried cutting the sound briefly at that point which doesn't sound too bad (other track is direct so not too noticeable)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Learning to use Ozone 5 could easily take dozens and dozens and dozens of hours, even if its only for mixing and mastering two tracks for solo acoustic guitar. Izotpe (Ozone's author) has developed an excellent and in-depth manual, as well as an accompanying 'How you might use Ozone' manual.

Study those first. Fully. Apply them to your situation.

As to the noise you mention, Ozone won't help with that. Spectral noise reduction tools (which is what you need to remove breathing and similar noise) are available in another Izotope product, RX 4.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 PM

Yes, it's pretty much beyond me so will stick to the preset.. probably sufficient for our needs
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I don't know if this technique is beyond you or not, but I use an automation technique to remove pops from vocals dynamically. I insert an EQ in the channel, turn on a high-pass filter, and write the automation to move the turn frequency of the filter, moving it up to the point where it eliminates the pop only for the duration of the pop. With a signal like the guitar, much of the frequency spectrum of the instrument is above the frequency of a bass pop so you will still hear it, relatively unaffected. The high point of the motion of the filter frequency can be regulated to balance between cleaning off the pop and preventing damage to the main signal. Use it to taste.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynz View Post
No, it's just fingertsyle guitar with no vocals. I think it's just occasionally when he's leant forward while playing. I've just tried cutting the sound briefly at that point which doesn't sound too bad (other track is direct so not too noticeable)
I use Pro Tools and you can zoom into the wave form and pull
the gain down just in that specific section. I'm not sure if you
can do that in GB. It just depends what the context is. Having
them just replay it would be my option; as well as having them
relax on unneeded movement.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 AM

Thanks guys & yes Bob it is a bit beyond me! I'm just the non-playing dad so it's all kinda foreign. Might just go with a clothes-peg on his nose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD