The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 PM

+1 on the H2n. H1 is good too - a few less features but similar quality recordings.

Great for gig recordings (set it low to avoid distortion, you can normalize in the computer if needed), rehersal recordings, environmental sounds, etc. 24/96 as well as multi-MP3 recordings and mid-side capability. I've been surprised by the quality and depth of what you get.

Mics on mine are pick up a lot of high end and can distort with loud transients and/or bass. Reliable, and with a big enough card you can do an entire night's gig and more on one set of 4 AA batteries.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 PM

I've heard good things about the Zoom units too.

I'm a Logic guy, and use the Apogee Duet 2 into Logic Pro 9 (soon to be Logic Pro X). You can do pro quality stuff in Logic with a Duet if you know what you're doing. I've had some very good recordings of acoustic guitars in my crap rooms with it, a little research into stereo recording can reveal a lot

I prefer as dry a recording as I can manage because I like to be able to control things. Carpet does wonders for this. You can add reverb later and make it sound however you want, once you at around with it and understand how everything works.

Personally, I feel that if you can afford it go for what you can do. Logic and a Duet does it for me and I get great quality from it, nearly professional (with more experience I would be there). You won't be disappointed with your results.

My guitars:
2006 Martin D16R
2013 Taylor 618e First Edition #98
2013 Taylor PS16ce
2013 Gibson AJ Custom
Old 09-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Can someone recommend a handheld recording device that is inexpensive that I can simply record and playback without a computer. I would like to have computer capabilities but also be able to just record and quickly playback to listen as I'm working on a song...then later do the download thing. Any suggestions?
I vote for the Zoom H5. Here's my review: http://tinyurl.com/oj73abw

I'm currently working on a review of the Zoom Q4 (http://tinyurl.com/n36hfzo).

It records 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz, 24-bit audio from it's own stereo xy mics or from an unbalanced stereo input. It also records HD video! Here's a clip I recorded of flute and guitar. The flute is miced with one of the new Neumann TLM 107 (http://tinyurl.com/n48fxae). My review of the TLM 107 is almost ready to publish. Just finishing up details.

The guitar sound comes from a Pure Western Mini pickup system in the Martin. Both instruments went to my Fishman SoloAmp. The mixed mono output with reverb was output to a Sound Devices MixPre-D to make it easier to control level into the Zoom Q4.

This was shot in my "green room." Have a look and listen….
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmGf5KqnpU

PS, when you watch, click on the gear wheel and jump the playback up to 1080.

That was a fun day!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 09-07-2014, 07:53 PM

I have the Tascam DR07-mkII and it works great. It's a little quiet on playback but you can fix that with headphones. Easy to record and then transfer to computer. There was a rebate being offered last time I looked at Amazon.

Also, if you have IOS I have been playing around with the Loopy app on my iPad. Its a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Those files can be emailed as an mp4a.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Zoom H2 on a budget. For the money, the H6 can't be beat if you have some decent mikes or want to add other instruments / voice and overdub. I've used both.

My Acoustics

1971 Martin D28
1973 Guild D50
2014 Taylor 814ce Ltd Coco
2015 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2018 Ibanez Artwood AC240 (Nashville string setup)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM

The new H5 is probably an excellent compromise for most people if they record solo. I think it has more flexible overdubbing than the H6, also.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 AM

If you need something cheap and good go for Zoom H1.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Count me as a happy Zoom H1 owner. Its about the same size as a small mic. You can keep it right in your guitar case.

I didn't need fancy with a 1000 options, I needed cheap and easy to use.

Before that I was using an old tape recorder. Might still be if it had not broken!
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD