The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 AM

Default recording devices

Can someone recommend a handheld recording device that is inexpensive that I can simply record and playback without a computer. I would like to have computer capabilities but also be able to just record and quickly playback to listen as I'm working on a song...then later do the download thing. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM

Tascam DR-07 would work. It has internal mics that are good enough for what you want to do, and an input jack that you can connect external mics or a mixer. It is inexpensive. If you want better internal mics you can buy the DR-40 or DR-100, which both have XLR mic inputs also.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-30-2014, 07:12 AM

I use a Zoom H2n, and I enjoy it quite a bit. The quality of the recordings is excellent. Does a very good job at accurately capturing acoustic instruments. Excellent battery life as well. The Tascams personal recorders are good as well.
Voyage-Air Transit Series VAOM-02
Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline
Custom Built Reliced Strat
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 AM

I've got one of these. The Boss BR 80. It's a marvel. (Works on internal batteries too, you don't have to have the power adaptor for that DC in sok.).

Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 AM

Hi Don, I use my iPhone for quick and dirty recording. There are lots of free apps out there.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM

right here

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=354945
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Don, I use my iPhone for quick and dirty recording. There are lots of free apps out there.
right on, iPhone is great for this niche.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How good is the mic though?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Through a "Head's Up" right here on this Forum, I bought a Tascam DR-05 from Guitar Center for $59... then I received a $20 check from Tascam as a rebate... and then GC sent me a $10 coupon... total cost for the DR-05? $29 net...

It's a GREAT little unit that has a lot more capability than I had expected, along with two decent condenser microphones mounted in an "X" pattern. I just use it for live recording, voice and guitar, wav files in mono (which doubles the recording time!)... but it has a mic/line in for a stereo mini plug if I wanted to use it to transfer from a mixer or my CD player (I'm guessing)...

Of course, right after the "Blow Out" at GC, the price went up to $89... but I think it would still be well worth it. I still remember buying a Sony Pro Walkman for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300, back in the day, so this is a VERY affordable unit!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

If you have an iPhone, there is a mic made by Rode that you can attach, and record at sampling rates of up to 96 kHz, which is higher than CD- quality (which is at 44.1 kHz). The model name is the Rode iXY, and is available in both a 30 pin connector for iPhone 4 and lower or Lightning connector for iPhone 5S. Cost about $199.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a DR05 and it is very nice for the price. The external speaker is not very loud so you need headphones for a good listening experience.

Todd
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Here is another satisfied Zoom H2n user. They can be had all day long for $159, I have seen refurb or returns for $129.You need to add the accessory package for another $40 and you have a great sounding recorder. There are many reviews on youtube, check them out. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 PM

I have a Zoom H1 that I am pretty impressed by. Around $100, and can also be used as a USB mic.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM

There are multitrack recording apps for iPhone.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I've got one of these. The Boss BR 80. It's a marvel. (Works on internal batteries too, you don't have to have the power adaptor for that DC in sok.).

What is the battery life on these? I have the older Micro BR and the battery only last a couple of hours. It does some nice things, such as slowing down a tune as much as 75% (runs at 25% of original speed) without changing pitch. Most hardware units only go down to 50%, such as the Tascam DR-05 and GB-10 (which still is a great tool). Even at the slowest speed, it sounds quite good. Great little portable tool for figuring out fingerstyle tunes.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD