The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Original "IMP" and a "Children's" Song

In the interest of sharing something a little more upbeat, here's a song I recorded a few months back, called "I.M.P.", about ladies who dance in dark places:

http://flatstanleys.com/music/imp.mp3

And since I've discussed some humorous stuff I've written, here's one of a handful of "Children's" songs I do...there's much more of these types of gag songs, but, for the purposes of this board, I'm trying to keep it clean:

http://flatstanleys.com/music/shutyerface.mp3

Any comments or suggestions welcome, particularly on the first song...
Old 08-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Nice ferg! I really liked the first one alot. Are you playing everything on it? Can you give details about your recording setup? Nice job!

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Yes, very nice stuff! The second is good, too - kind of reminds me of Boomtown Rats/Joe Jackson. Love the words, too.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt2828 View Post
Nice ferg! I really liked the first one alot. Are you playing everything on it? Can you give details about your recording setup? Nice job!
Thanks...and, yes, it's all me (except drums)...recording setup...

Recording is done on a 4 yr old iMac using Logic Pro, and a relatively inexpensive Yamaha AudioGram6. I have to say - for a solo musician I LOVE this device. It's only USB 1.1, but since I only do 1 track at a time, it has no trouble keeping up. I used to have an M-Audio FastTrack Ultra. I bought the Yamaha for portability (it's bus-powered), and realized that, ultimately, I was using it for everything and sold the M-Audio. I sits right on my desk, with my mic mounted on a broadcast arm - plugged into it, so I'm ready to go at any time. And the broadcast arm is perfect for positioning mic'ing guitar, vocals, an amp, moving back and forth, whatever...

All the guitar parts are recorded using my Gibson J-60 1993 (curly maple) with a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking Soundhole pickup in a Fishman Aura Dreadnought pedal (the old one that's not customizable). The distorted guitar on the chorus is the same setup - I just added distortion in post (I don't remember the specific effect).

The Bass is a Fender American Standard Jazz base circa 1995 (don't know the year exactly), through a Bass Pod directly into the interface.

Piano is played using a cheap Audio midi controller and one of the built-in pianos in logic. Ditto for the organ.

That's for the first song - the second is similar, but I think I just mic'd the guitar using the Solaris, which is pretty much what I use for everything nowadays.

Vocals are recorded using an M-Audio Solaris Mic into a Presonus BlueTube Preamp then into the AudioGram6.

Drums are looped in GarageBand.

Last edited by ferg; 08-05-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 AM

Ferg, you've got that Meatloaf theatrical vibe going on in IMP...very creative stuff! I enjoyed it.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Really neat Ferg. I like that there is still a bit of an "edge" to IMP. Really has a cool indie rock vibe.

THe second one made me snort coffee out my nose!!!!!!!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell