The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 AM

Default Info on Zoom A1 Four's two parametric EQs

When I saw that the Zoom A1 Four has both a single band parametric EQ and a two band parametric EQ, I wondered what the difference was, aside from the number of bands. I speculated that the single band PEQ was probably more fine-tunable. The single band PEQ isn't one of the factory loaded EFX, so I downloaded it from the Guitar Lab to take a look. It turns out that I was both right and wrong about the single band PEQ being more fine-tunable.

The frequency options are the same (as in 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 320Hz....etc.).

On the other hand, the single band PEQ is much more tunable in terms of Q (bandwidth choices) and boost or cut choices. If only one band of PEQ is needed, it makes more sense to use the single band PEQ.

Up to this point, I've found the A1 Four's many EQ options to be my favorite thing about the box. I've found the guitar modeling to be somewhat useful, but its pretty mild compared to what ToneDexter does.

In any event, I've already made plenty of use of the simulated Baggs Venue EQ, and sometimes I find it helpful to add a single band of parametric EQ in series with the Baggs EQ. This might be needed, for instance, when I need a wider bandwidth cut than the Baggs low-mid band provides. In this situation, I would be wiser to use the single-band PEQ because it gives me much more control over the bandwidth than the two band PEQ.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Which EQ effect is your favorite? I have been trying them all and can't settle on one. Also where in the chain does it work best? I have been staying with the simple 7 band graphic EQ. The parametrics confuse me. I just can't figure out where to cut the mids. I boost it and sweep around and can't tell which frequencies sound bad. Is there a better way of dialing it in?

I think this A1 Four is a fantastic unit. Probably the best value in pedals in the universe. I think if the price was $300, folks would take it more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
When I saw that the Zoom A1 Four has both a single band parametric EQ and a two band parametric EQ, I wondered what the difference was, aside from the number of bands. I speculated that the single band PEQ was probably more fine-tunable. The single band PEQ isn't one of the factory loaded EFX, so I downloaded it from the Guitar Lab to take a look. It turns out that I was both right and wrong about the single band PEQ being more fine-tunable.

The frequency options are the same (as in 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 320Hz....etc.).

On the other hand, the single band PEQ is much more tunable in terms of Q (bandwidth choices) and boost or cut choices. If only one band of PEQ is needed, it makes more sense to use the single band PEQ.

Up to this point, I've found the A1 Four's many EQ options to be my favorite thing about the box. I've found the guitar modeling to be somewhat useful, but its pretty mild compared to what ToneDexter does.

In any event, I've already made plenty of use of the simulated Baggs Venue EQ, and sometimes I find it helpful to add a single band of parametric EQ in series with the Baggs EQ. This might be needed, for instance, when I need a wider bandwidth cut than the Baggs low-mid band provides. In this situation, I would be wiser to use the single-band PEQ because it gives me much more control over the bandwidth than the two band PEQ.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Which EQ effect is your favorite? I have been trying them all and can't settle on one. Also where in the chain does it work best? I have been staying with the simple 7 band graphic EQ. The parametrics confuse me. I just can't figure out where to cut the mids. I boost it and sweep around and can't tell which frequencies sound bad. Is there a better way of dialing it in?

I think this A1 Four is a fantastic unit. Probably the best value in pedals in the universe. I think if the price was $300, folks would take it more seriously.
It depends a bit on the job. I really like the Baggs Venue simulation because the choice of a frequency band center is more fine-tunable. For instance, I know (from using ToneDexter's calibrated notch) that the low resonant frequency of one of my guitars is 125Hz. With the Baggs EQ I can cut exactly at that specific frequency.

Although I can't get exactly to certain frequencies with the GE7, I know from experience that the GE7 works pretty well for me nevertheless. I've used a real GE7 for many years. It can do a pretty good job (albeit, not a perfect job) with any EQ challenge that a guitar pickup offers. If you're more comfortable using the GE7, use it. Its capable of doing a good job for you, and it isn't likely that you'll need to put a second EQ in series with it.

By the way, the A1 Four has a variety of graphic EQs. You might find that one of the other graphic EQs is better for a specific job because the frequency bands are centered at a different set of frequencies.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-16-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tip!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification