The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

We use re3chargeable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries in all our wireless packs in the on-air TV studios where I work. NiMH has a discharge cycle very much like alkaline batteries but don't bleed out their charge when sitting unused. It makes more sense to keep a couple of sets of batteries and switch them out to charge than to have an onboard rechargeable battery.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
There's nothing stopping anyone from using rechargeable 9 volt batteries in their current guitars. They're readily available, along with chargers. You could have several you keep charged, swap them out as needed, and recharge them all before a gig.

This. I use them in my Taylor ES-2. I bought a 4 pack, they Work great. Put a new one in each time I plug in.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-15-2020, 04:40 PM

My newFender Telecaster Acoustisonic is rechargeable, Uses micro USB. Could charge it with a phone charger or back up battery pack in a pinch.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I've never really understood why, apart from tradition,we don't see more onboard preamps with balanced XLR out and running off phantom power. It seems like a jigsaw piece waiting to fit. I've tried to think of technical or practical reasons why it's not a good idea but haven't really come up with anything unarguable yet.
Because not all mixers/amps have phantom power. Some 'acoustic' amps only have one XLR input (for the mic, and a 1/4" guitar input). So you need to pack a powered phantom power DI 'just in case' if you are plugging into others' systems regularly. And would need to bring an XLR cable, for those who do have phantom but only have a 1/4" guitar cable. And the phantom needs to be shut off before plugging in, turned on after plugging in - too many bad ways for this to be a good idea unless you only use it with your own amp/PA.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-16-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Because not all mixers/amps have phantom power. Some 'acoustic' amps only have one XLR input (for the mic, and a 1/4" guitar input). So you need to pack a powered phantom power DI 'just in case' if you are plugging into others' systems regularly. And would need to bring an XLR cable, for those who do have phantom but only have a 1/4" guitar cable. And the phantom needs to be shut off before plugging in, turned on after plugging in - too many bad ways for this to be a good idea unless you only use it with your own amp/PA.
I always thought this as well.
But if youve ever caught your foot in a
cord you know how damage can occur
even with a 1/4 in jack. which comes
out pretty easily. An xlr not so much.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
There is a British company named "pure acoustic" that has a nice system for many instruments. I have it installed in my octave mandolin by the luthier who built the instrument. He recommended it, and I'm happy with it. It sounds very natural without quack. Charged within a few minutes by an external 9V battery plugged into the input jack. Never tried it on guitars, but sounds awesome in my octave.

Here is the link: http://www.pureacoustic.com
These are mi-si as well. licsened to pureacoustic.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 AM

I have a MiSi pickup in my Furch. The rechargeable part using a capacitor to hold the charge, works amazingly well so far. I have had the guitar in its case for over a month and it still has plenty of charge. I always plug it in before I gig with it, but it has never failed me. Mine has an undersaddle pickup and a mic, with the pre powered by the MiSi. I was curious about it and have been pleasantly surprised at how good the system works

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 01-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
All good points but all of which could be applied to P Powered DI boxes and solutions seem to have been found to address them (also - plugging in active electros means muting the channel anyway).

The tech evolution might have taken a slightly different direction of course and these might no longer be relevant.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 01-16-2020 at 03:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification