The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
thank you! i got a used copy of the "sound reinforcment handbook" as it looked like the bible of live sound and I like to understand the techy physics stuff, but I also got this brand new simpler one that looked more basic and up to date, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0818DD1Z3...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
You're welcome. Lots of good info in the Sound Reinforcement Handbook. There's an old copy within arm's reach as I write this. Have fun!
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good forum to expand my knowledge of live sound? Or maybe some links or good book? It was pretty simple with my old system, but lot more to work with now?
I've dropped in over here a few times, and if it's not what you're looking for I'm sure someone could point you to whatever the most active place is:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I recently went with a setup that included two K10.2's, a CP8 for monitor wedge or very small gigs, and a Behringer XR18 mixer, so a similar setup.

You have have proven mics, so if your guitar/instrument setup upstream of the PA is good, it really shouldn't take much tweaking other than adjusting the PA for the room. The XR18 is nice because it has a built-in 31-band EQ and real-time analyzer, so ringing out the room if needed is a snap, but your mixers are solid.

I will say that I've ditched the amps. My acoustic runs from the DI on my pedalboard right into the mixer, as does my electric's multi-effects/amp modeler pedal. The QSC's do a great job of replicating the sound that comes out of them.
How does the real-time analyzer / 'ringing out a room' process work? I've been really interested in that feature but my concern is whether you could realistically engage that feature in a restaurant / cafe / brewery setting with people already there and hanging out, etc. I'm starting to use condenser mics more in live settings, so that feature is of huge interest to me.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
How does the real-time analyzer / 'ringing out a room' process work? I've been really interested in that feature but my concern is whether you could realistically engage that feature in a restaurant / cafe / brewery setting with people already there and hanging out, etc. I'm starting to use condenser mics more in live settings, so that feature is of huge interest to me.
Yeah, if people are around you have to be very careful!

Set your input gains, all fader and master & monitor levels, and speaker/amp levels nominally, and EQ on the mast & monitor buses flat.

Then, slowly raise the mains or monitor levels (you'll want to do them separately) until you start to hear feedback, then cut that frequency in the graphic EQ for that output bus. Experienced engineers can listen to the tone and know about where to cut; a real-time analyzer makes it super-simple because it shows you the offending frequency right there! Keep pushing the levels until more frequencies feed back, then duck those as well. When you think you've now got all the headroom you'll need, bring levels back to nominal.

You do have to push the system to the point of feedback, so with people in the room, you need to go very slowly and be ready to back of quickly so you can hear/see the feedback frequency, but not let it get so loud it hurts people's ears. But you can do it.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I am curious what some folks are preferring in the original K series over the K.2? Is it the simplicity? I know there is a ton of adjustment options with the newer K.2 and and a bit more power, but at end of day, is the sound different that much?

Although, I agree for my simple needs, my Yamaha mixer will be fine. I checked out the TouchMix and watched the features this guy describes in the touchmix 8 and it is quite amazing to have all these pro features packed into a compact design. I am betting people who are using these are also hauling their favorite old workhorse analog mixers around as a back up, for when things crash (?) We have come a long way baby! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRdiZH5L98
It's been a while but I found the newer K.2's were not as full sounding as the originals. IMO they sacrifice low end for clarity but I don't find the mid range to be as pleasing. It's funny because when they first came out, people raved about the low end but I have chatted with a few dealers and I guess more than a few people have noticed the originals sounding a bit more full.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I am curious what some folks are preferring in the original K series over the K.2? Is it the simplicity? I know there is a ton of adjustment options with the newer K.2 and and a bit more power, but at end of day, is the sound different that much?

Although, I agree for my simple needs, my Yamaha mixer will be fine. I checked out the TouchMix and watched the features this guy describes in the touchmix 8 and it is quite amazing to have all these pro features packed into a compact design. I am betting people who are using these are also hauling their favorite old workhorse analog mixers around as a back up, for when things crash (?) We have come a long way baby! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRdiZH5L98
The touchmix is certainly feature laden.
I find for the most part they are just ok.
i prefer to use outboard eq and effects.
the tm are kinda meh. to my ears anyway. So why buy the thing. most of the features are buried deep. Only a dedicated sound tech would be able to
use them live. The preamps are weak and
mud sounding. Sorry im just not a fan.
As for the qsc. I just find the originals are more musical. They seem to my ear to.have a different crossover point. and
the k.2 seems harsher when pushed.More fatiguing on the ears after
a full night.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
(Speaking about my Touchmix) In an empty room you can engage the Feedback Wizard and it automates the process. Otherwise, you have a display showing you the frequency that's on the brink of audible feedback. You manually bump that frequency down; have to be quick before it starts howling. Gradually increase volume and repeat until you're happy. I'm also using condenser mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification