The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Mahogany lighter than most rosewoods according to this. https://www.bellforestproducts.com/i...y-weight/?s=28

From my own experience my all mahogany 00015m is one of the lightest guitars I have played.
Same here, insofar as my D17M (spruce top, mahogany back and sides) is an absolute feather - notably lighter than the smaller bodied 000 28 with rosewood back and sides.

I would however say that in terms of any pain or discomfort suffered from handling and playing an acoustic guitar, posture and technique will definitely come into it. Shoulders can be affected by referred pain from stuff that's going on up the chain at the wrist and elbow etc.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM

we're talking about a laminate B&S guitar. The rosewood is likely a very thin veneer over a sapele core. My Koa GS Mini is build in exactly the same way. The lack of binding on the GS mini means you can see it pretty clearly. I wouldn't expect any significant weight gains over a hog B&S version
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Describe your current strap: width and thickness, and how low do you have yuor guitar hanging - i.e. does your belt buckle show below it?
My strap is about two and a half inches wide, suede leather.
My belt buckle is about 2 inches above the bottom of the guitar, if that makes sense...
I don't think the guitar height is the problem... I feel like Johnny Cash already with how high I wear my guitar
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Are y'all saying, in general, the higher the guitar is worn, the less strain?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM

All sounds reasonable. Can you confirm whether you feel like the strap is cutting into you or its your shoulder muscles that are hurting?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 PM

I started playing electric back in the mid 60's when we would struggle with 8-9+ lbs. The weight of acoustics never even crossed our minds.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
All sounds reasonable. Can you confirm whether you feel like the strap is cutting into you or its your shoulder muscles that are hurting?
Shoulder strain after an hour or so
Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 AM

ok, if it's actually the shoulder muscles that are hurting rather than the strap cutting into you I'm going to say it's more likely posture. Go play in front of a full length mirror or film yourself playing with your phone and see if you can identify what's up.

Like I said on page 1, I was amazed by how bad my sitting posture was when I looked in a mirror. I was sitting like i was deliberately trying to injure myself without realising it. It felt natural but looked rediculous and it gave me shoulder pain.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
ok, if it's actually the shoulder muscles that are hurting rather than the strap cutting into you I'm going to say it's more likely posture. Go play in front of a full length mirror or film yourself playing with your phone and see if you can identify what's up.

Like I said on page 1, I was amazed by how bad my sitting posture was when I looked in a mirror. I was sitting like i was deliberately trying to injure myself without realising it. It felt natural but looked rediculous and it gave me shoulder pain.
Good idea will definitely try that
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Shoulder strain after an hour or so
My Lowden is African Blackwood and it is a long way from light. I don't have any problem standing with it, but I stand very straight and have a 3" wide, very soft leather strap. You might try experimenting with either or both.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Good idea will definitely try that
Let us know how you get on!

In terms of the weight itself, your guitar probably weighs around 4.5 lbs (you could balance it on the kitchen scales to check).

My leather jacket weighs 3.5lbs and I'm pretty sure I could hang it on one shoulder for an hour without injuring myself The weight of an acoustic really shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Let us know how you get on!

In terms of the weight itself, your guitar probably weighs around 4.5 lbs (you could balance it on the kitchen scales to check).

My leather jacket weighs 3.5lbs and I'm pretty sure I could hang it on one shoulder for an hour without injuring myself The weight of an acoustic really shouldn't be an issue.
I weighed my guitar and it turns out it's 4.6 pounds. I think I'm going to buy one of those nice and wide comfort straps because I do a lot of playing while standing up. Thanks for all of y'all's input into this thread!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are y'all saying, in general, the higher the guitar is worn, the less strain?
Well, I'all is saying that - too low and your arms may be pulling the shoulders forward.

We all have different physiology of course, but if whatever you are doing hurts, you are doing something wrong.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I weighed my guitar and it turns out it's 4.6 pounds. I think I'm going to buy one of those nice and wide comfort straps because I do a lot of playing while standing up. Thanks for all of y'all's input into this thread!
That's not light. My Martin Custom D (dreadnought), which is sitka/mahogany, weighs 3.5. I still use it with a 3" strap most of the time.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, I'all is saying that - too low and your arms may be pulling the shoulders forward.

We all have different physiology of course, but if whatever you are doing hurts, you are doing something wrong.
I'all totally understands, I wear the guitar at midrange, not at my knees and not covering my face lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion