The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Music theory

Anybody know of a good guitar music theory course on YouTube?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 PM

I like the music theory course by a guy named “Pebber Brown.”
Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

I learned from justinguitar.com. His theory stuff costs a little but it really is excellent. I would recommend any of his stuff without reservation.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:44 AM

The C major scale is ABCDEFG. The other keys just transpose that same pattern.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:01 AM
Guest 829

If only it was that simple—of course you are correct.

What I did was simply wake up one day and resolved to get stuck in. I started learning the structure of chords and key signatures and can remember the feeling I had when I first understood the difference between a Major 7th and Dominant 7th. It just snowballed from there and I maintain my learning to this day.

Over the years I’m pleased with how far I have come and I’m glad I started out.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
I learned from justinguitar.com. His theory stuff costs a little but it really is excellent. I would recommend any of his stuff without reservation.
I agree. And actually you can get a lot of it free.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Anybody know of a good guitar music theory course on YouTube?
There's no such thing as "guitar music theory". Music theory is the same for all instruments.

Of course, you have to start by knowing how to read music, because that's how music theory books and websites illustrate the principles. So in that sense there is bridge you need to cross in order to begin studying "music theory". Learn notation! There are plenty of free sites which will tell what the notes are on the fretboard, and how they appear in notation.

Having said that, justinguitar is the best online guitar teacher, and has plenty of theory lessons which are - obviously - guitar friendly. You can view his grades 1 and 2 for free:
https://www.justinguitar.com/modules...theory-grade-1
He manages to get through two grades without teaching notation at all! That's because he is just playing and talking, not using any print or annotation.
You have to pay for grades higher than that.
BTW, that's his own grading system, not related to conventional grades (which all start with notation in grade 1).

I'm on a search myself for what I'd regard as a good guitar-friendly theory site or youtube series - for free - so I'll keep you posted on that... (I don't need it myself, just looking for something I can recommend to my students. There's lots I wouldn't recommend.)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:29 AM

This young man (Signal Music Studio) has put a lot of theory together in such a way that even I could understand...YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRD...8HjE2r7_ZuNtWA
Larrivee L-03
Alvarez AP66ESHB
Guild "Madeira" A-20
Fender Kingman
A few Strats
Couple of Tele's
Aria Pro II Stray Cat
Godin Triumph
Old 01-15-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The C major scale is ABCDEFG. The other keys just transpose that same pattern.
That would be A minor.

C would be CDEFGABC

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:33 PM

Rich Beato's channel. Playing, EAR TRAINING, music theory, composition, music production and everything else related to MUSIC. It's essentially a degree level education which you would get from a music school, but it's FREE! (Although I recommend you purchase his 300+ page pdf book which starts with doe-ray-me and works it way up to movie scoring)

Last week's theory lesson exploring the Lydian mode and modal interplay...

Quartal Harmony...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM

A book that I've found quite helpful: Music Principles for the Skeptical Guitarist by Bruce Emery.

Look up also Desi Serna's channel on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2M...3wEJH5EDJ7sVIQ

Justin Guitars stuff is pretty good.

Most of the theory stuff turns my brain into soft mushy oatmeal after about 15 minutes. Bruce's book was more accessible. It's worth the effort regardless in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 PM

I found this guy explained music theory (for guitarists) very clearly. Start with just one of his videos and see if you agree:

https://www.youtube.com/user/acpgapex/videos

I also read (and did all the exercises) in the following book. It took a while, but I powered through it and learned a lot.

"Edly's Music Theory For Practical People"
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
That would be A minor.

C would be CDEFGABC
Yes it is. Thanks Big Band.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-25-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
A book that I've found quite helpful: Music Principles for the Skeptical Guitarist by Bruce Emery.

Look up also Desi Serna's channel on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2M...3wEJH5EDJ7sVIQ

Justin Guitars stuff is pretty good.

Most of the theory stuff turns my brain into soft mushy oatmeal after about 15 minutes. Bruce's book was more accessible. It's worth the effort regardless in my opinion.
I’ve recommended Bruce Emery’s books so many times that people probably think I get a commission, but they’re really good! So are Serna and Justin.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Most of the theory stuff turns my brain into soft mushy oatmeal after about 15 minutes.
This sort of says it for me too. I’ve found that single courses about music theory for guitar are just like that. They’re so concentrated, that you never get through them.

You’ll find that the best way to learn music theory is on a piano, because it is laid out linearly. As for guitar, here is the order that has worked really well for me:
1j Learn the CAGED system. This allows you to improvise up an down the neck
2) start to play out of chord positions... let’s say you play an A chord 002220, move your pinky to make these: 002222 and 002225, You are adding elements to a chord that create interest and alter the chord into something similar, but different.
3) Learn how chords and scales sound and what music you hear them in. 6 chords=country, 7 chords=ragtime ( and there’s so much more I’m still learning)

Don’t rush it. When the light bulb is ready to go on, you’ll have an ah-hah moment.

I have been enjoying lessons by Brian on activemelody.com. He is constantly sprinkling in theory to his lessons. Also, the first part of each lesson (which can last 20-25 minutes) is free. You can subscribe if you want to get the tab, the jam tracks, the extended lesson and the slow downer. But the meat of the lesson is free. I find that his lessons ar upping my game by giving me practical applications of theory.

Ultimately, theory means nothing. This biz is all about producing something that sounds good. The permutations of 12 tones are endless, and the ‘rules’, fuzzy at best.

Have fun on the journey.

Rick

PS - and let me add a #4), the circle of fifths. This is probably the basis of just about everything you have ever heard in mainstream music. As far as really grokking it? Well, that my friend is a work in progress!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write