The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

DupleMeter.....yeah, totally understand.....pretty slim odds for sure...just tryin' to do enough to keep the dream alive.....I probably have more faith than money, but I do believe in the songs that are in me.....
Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

thanks, KevWind, I'll be checking it all out over the next couple days.....
Old 10-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Some basic digital 101:

The concepts for recording are the same as your old analog studio system...............
f
But if it were me ( and maybe you already know this ) I was wanting to do a simple guitar vocal for publishers, I would simply record the guitar part with the Zoom mics and pan the stereo track hard L and R in Audacity Then use one of your other mics (if they are decent ) to record the vocal and pan it center.

e
As always your advice is spot on. Except I would argue that for some, even if it is just for publishing purposes, singing and playing at the same time would give a better representation of the song. If that is the OPs case then a more versatile converter with the right mics (with figure 8 polar patterns) should be part of the discussion.

But I guess that would be a separate thread for which there are many out there
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

Good words in #13 from Duplemeter - and on top of that, forget 'burning to CD' and mailing CDs out. CDs are on their way out - cars dont' come with them, even new computers don't always come with CD players/burners any more.
The world has moved to 'cloud' streaming. Soundcloud is ok, but use a service like Dropbox or Box to upload files that can be streamed and/or downloaded - and won't be searched out by pirates (people who steal tracks then try to sell them on different sites).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
As always your advice is spot on. Except I would argue that for some, even if it is just for publishing purposes, singing and playing at the same time would give a better representation of the song. If that is the OPs case then a more versatile converter with the right mics (with figure 8 polar patterns) should be part of the discussion.

But I guess that would be a separate thread for which there are many out there
I think it is a valid point . And to be clear I was not recommending overdub as a universal " best " method. Because as you say for "some" , an all at once method does work better .

Except the OP specifically mentioned over dub and given he stated he had an analog recording studio , I assumed he has the experience to know what method he prefers. His questions seemed to focus on the use and terminology of digital recording , not on recording technique

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-30-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

all good stuff, and much appreciated.....yeah, mostly learning about this whole new world of digital recording vs my 50 yrs of analog, but the suggestions of "methods" to do these demos are also coming in handy.....I can, and will, do both; all in one track as well as overdubbing, but my goal is still to to use some new, and simple equipment as my basic recorder, then learn as I dive into this project.....I've had the recording studio (now sold and gone) and I've done the whole ad agency thing (done with that).....now retired...me and my Santa Cruz VJ and a dream to touch a few folks someday with a song of mine, God willing ........I'll enjoy the journey no matter what! I've bought and sold many guitars here at AGF over the years but this is my first time connecting with this "Record" section of the site, and it's pretty awesome.....never to old to learn!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
DupleMeter.....yeah, totally understand.....pretty slim odds for sure...just tryin' to do enough to keep the dream alive.....I probably have more faith than money, but I do believe in the songs that are in me.....
I absolutely get that. And you should do whatever you can to keep the fire burning. I applaud your tenacity & wish you more success than you ever thought possible.

I just also know how frustrating & depressing it is to pour your soul into your art and get rejected. I just wanted you to be sure you gave yourself the best odds. And "radio ready" can still be simple...just polished to the point of feeling "complete", if that makes any sense.

And to give some perspective on delivery: Soundcloud seems to be the preferred "demo reel" platform among most of the publishers I've come across. And once you get past the front gates and they aren't vetting you anymore, Dropbox has been the #1 tool they all request for submissions. I don't think anyone has asked for physical media (CDs or similar) in a long (long) time. ;-)

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

DupleMeter.....yes, polished, and feeling complete..... I hear ya! and your perspective on "delivery" is just the kind of info I need...allows me to keep moving forward one step at a time! Have yourself a great (very creative) day!

Doug
Old 10-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
DupleMeter.....yes, polished, and feeling complete..... I hear ya! and your perspective on "delivery" is just the kind of info I need...allows me to keep moving forward one step at a time! Have yourself a great (very creative) day!

Doug
Glad I can help. Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I work with publishers on a daily basis.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

ok, phase 2.....getting the tracks from the H5 into Audacity 2.3.0.....

remember I'm coming out of 50 yrs of analog and I'm starting from scratch with digital, so be kind...ha...ha...like we figured in our earlier discussion I did get the basics of the H5 fairly quickly, enough to start anyway...I did a quick recording with the XY mic, acoustic guitar and vocal, I chose WAV and 24 bit 44K I believe.....so I play back H5 through headphones and I got the song.... now the hard part, at least for me....it sounded so simple, just hook up USB cable from H5 to laptop, get Audacity on the screen, and send the song over...
I was instantly lost, couldn't get anything accomplished at all.....so back to the manuals, back to the tutorials, and the more searched the more confused I got....so for starters 1) do I have to do something with that song track in the H5 to prepare it for transferring it to Audacity, or should it just drop into the screen.....the language of "files and folders" is like reading Chinese to me, and I realize I need DAW For Dummies to get to the next level.....all I've been trying to do is get the song into Audacity so then I can take all the time I'll need to learn how to proceed from there, levels, EQ, effects, formatting, etc.....don't expect to figure all that out today, I just need to get over the hump of getting the song into Audacity.....I can't find anything simple enough on line to show me (2 days looking) so I return to AGF to find the answer.....I even ended up with song folder in the laptop in My Music, quite by accident, just trying to download it into DAW, but that wasn't what I was trying to do obviously.....thanks

Doug
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM

An easy method to get the songs from Zoom H5...
Just get a USB / SD memory card reader.

Then take the memory card from the Zoom and place in memory card reader.... Plug the "Reader" into the computer's USB port.

The memory card will show up as a "Drive" and you can then just double click it and transfer the songs to the computer's desktop.

Then it will be ready to import into your DAW.

Something like this..
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portabl...ry+card+reader
Old 12-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

thanks, Jake.....I think I figured it out a little while ago.....I had the WAV file already in My Music but when I tried to drag it into DAW screen it said error.....so I thought I had to do something diff to the H5 file.....but then I tried File, Open, and then I chose the folder file and IT WENT THROUGH!! baby steps for me but I got phase 2 done, the song is in Audacity.....and now I'll take whatever time I need to learn the DAW itself.....I'll probably do a Multi File recording and send it into DAW too, then I can have both methods of recording to work with.....and I'll have the choice of how to record a particular song demo to send out.....lot to learn but I'm on my way.....this 'ol dog learned a new trick! thanks to all who helped me get this far.....don't go away...ha...ha...

Doug

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD