The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Default I wonder how these demos are turning out...

I'm closing the book on a new project, which will be 9 songs. I've recorded rough demos using my MacBook Pros' built-in microphone and GarageBand. Doesn't sound horrible, but I'm waiting for Amazon to get the new Zoom H1 in stock so I can record these in better quality.

In any case, if you'd like to hear a sample of what I've been doing, just hit the link below and listen to the tracks denoted by the numbers 01 through 09:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Vocals are improving, and the music itself will get much tighter. I know I might be hard to understand so I've added lyrics. Feel free to leave any comments! They're much appreciated.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 AM

I think they are really coming alone. I really like Where Helen Sleeps alone but keyboards come in a bit heavy at the 1:55 mark. Just a little lighter oon them would be good. Another question which affects the results of a recording. What type and gage of pick are you using? Sounds light and gives off quite a bit of noise which sometimes takes away from the strumming of the guitar a bit.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
I think they are really coming alone. I really like Where Helen Sleeps alone but keyboards come in a bit heavy at the 1:55 mark. Just a little lighter oon them would be good. Another question which affects the results of a recording. What type and gage of pick are you using? Sounds light and gives off quite a bit of noise which sometimes takes away from the strumming of the guitar a bit.
Thanks for taking the time to listen, Ranger!

You're right about the organ on track 2, it's heavy. A lot of this needs better mixing, which will definitely happen when the final product is done being recorded. These were thrown together as kind of, "this is what I'm going for" kind of thing.

As far as pick goes: I'm using a medium Dunlop gel, which I use on all my recordings. I think it's more the microphone than the pick, since I know what you're talking about but don't hear it nearly as much in previous recordings done with my Zoom. Since the songs are more laid-back playing wise, I think I might try some felt picks and see how it goes.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Your music is really coming along. Keep at it. Your melodies are becoming more mature! Good stuff!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarnucci View Post
Your music is really coming along. Keep at it. Your melodies are becoming more mature! Good stuff!
Thanks, ccarnucci! It's much appreciated.

I placed my preorder for the Zoom H1. Pretty pumped. Should arrive on release day, and the following weekend I'll get to re-recording things.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell