The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Bose T1 or Apogee Duet

Hey Guys,

I've been playing around with a Bose T1 (because I already own an L1 Compact) and an Apogee Duet. I need to make a decision on an interface. The T1 is just an awesome little digital mixer that can also be used as a USB interface. It's got strong and quiet preamps which have no problems driving my SM7B. The T1 is a Swiss Army knife.

The Apogee Duet (as most folks know) is a great interface that plays nice with Mac software.

I can't afford to keep both, but I can't. I'll be using Logic Express 9 and recording mostly one track at a time. Most of my work will be voice-over narration. My preference is to keep the T1 because it can do so much. I've AB'd the T1 and the Duet in Garageband and the Duet seemed a bit warmer. However, the T1 sounded really good, too. Also, there didn't seem to be a latency issue recording one track via USB.

So here's the question: Do you think the T1 will work as a reliable recording interface?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmilk View Post
So here's the question: Do you think the T1 will work as a reliable recording interface?
I have both the T1 and the Apogee Duet and I've used both for recording with a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, using GarageBand and Logic Pro 8.

The T1 is not supposed to be compatible with GarageBand. The sampling rates are different. The T1's sampling rate is 48 kHz and GarageBand only accepts interfaces with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz. I tried using my T1 with GarageBand before I learned this and sometimes it would work and other times the recordings were full of static, distortion, etc. So if you were only going to use GarageBand, I'd say that the T1 would not be a good choice.

Logic Pro 8 allows you to select the sampling rate of the interface. If Logic Express allows you to do that, you can use the T1 with out worrying about any trouble from the different sampling rates. I bought Logic Pro for the sole purpose of using my T1 as an audio interface. I have gotten great results as long as the project I'm working on is only one track. I recorded my live album this way, using my T1 to Logic Pro and then blended in a separate room recording.

I have not had any luck doing any kind of multi-tracking with the T1 in Logic. The tracks won't line up. I'll record a drum track with a keyboard to use as a click, create a new track and play a guitar track and they will be out of sync. This has happened every time I've tried it. I don't know that your results would be the same but trying to line up the tracks each time was frustrating enough to give up on the T1 and get the Apogee Duet.

Now I only use the T1 for live shows, either through my L1 Model 2 or my L1 Compact. If I need to make a very simple, one track recording, I will still use my T1 with Logic Pro but for everything else, I use the Apogee.

That's a long way to say that in my opinion, the T1 is not a reliable audio interface unless you are sure that you will only be doing single track recordings or don't mind the time and effort it takes to line up the tracks if you do need to multi-track. (if you have the same trouble I did.)

I hope that helps a bit.
Matt
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks Matt. What is your experience with the T1 when it comes to recording a guitar track, then recording a vocal track on top of that. I don't use any MIDI devices so I'm wondering if I just used the loops that come with Logic, a guitar, and microphone, would I have the same sync problems.

Since you own a T1, you already know every reason why I don't want to part with it. I'm mixing business with pleasure. I play guitar and sing with the Bose L1C and the T1. I'll sometimes use the T1 in my Taylor K4's effects loop when playing through the house PA at church. The recording element is for my business presentations. I know the Duet is the way to go, but I really don't want to give up the T1. However, if it's not stable with Logic loops combined with voice-overs, or an occasional acoustic guitar, then I may have to part with it.

Kit
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Consider keeping both, as neither is fully designed for both studio recording and live performance. You can only get $300 or so for a used Duet. Of course, your need for only one channel for recording will allow for use of the T1 for recording purposes. However, having two separate tracks available for recording may be needed at a later date.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Yep. That's kinda what I've been thinking. I could use both, but can only afford one. I was hoping that I could get by with the T1 without any glitches in Logic.

Matt's experience with the T1 and recording has got me a little concerned about whether or not I can count on it to be a reliable recording interface.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Matt's experience with the T1 and recording has got me a little concerned about whether or not I can count on it to be a reliable recording interface.
Hi om…
I have not played with Logic, but every other software package I've used (except maybe garage band) allows you to realign tracks manually if they are not perfectly synced.

It's actually pretty easy to do if you include a ''click'' or ''tap'' or count in at the beginning of each track so you can realign them by dragging subsequent tracks into alignment later. All you have to do is record it on track one, and then tap or count along with it on the subsequent tracks so it's recorded again.

Matt's alignment problem sure sounds like a latency issue, and which might be addressable in the software/hardware preferences. It's not uncommon for latency to cause added tracks to be a bit ''late'', but it's relatively simple and straightforward to re-align them.

If you expand the tracks out to the their finest resolution (so they are huge on the screen) one can usually micro-align them so perfectly nobody can detect delays (even the recordist).

That said, there is a lot going for dedicated recording interfaces. They expedite the recording process and allow one to work more quickly and creatively without having to stop and play with the mix between takes.

I prefer the Mark of the Unicorn firewire interfaces (I've been recording with Macs for over a decade now). I've used other interfaces which work well too - including the M-box and the Lexicon. All of them work very well and have great preamps in them too.

Hope this helps add to the discussion...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks LJ. I didn't realize how tuff of a decision this is to make.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Matt. What is your experience with the T1 when it comes to recording a guitar track, then recording a vocal track on top of that. I don't use any MIDI devices so I'm wondering if I just used the loops that come with Logic, a guitar, and microphone, would I have the same sync problems.
Hi Kit!
I never made it as far as a vocal track with the T1. I always start by building a drum track with a MIDI keyboard that I use as a click. Then I do a scratch track of guitar and vocals at the same time to give me the framework for the song. I have done bass, piano and acoustic guitar tracks on top of the drum click with the T1.

I have, as Larry suggested, manually lined up the tracks but when I get the chance to record, I'm usually pressed for time. I play everything myself and getting a good bass part or piano part takes long enough without having to worry about trying to line up the tracks.

I have had great results every time I've used the T1 with Logic to do a one track recording but I only tried mult-tracking with it a handful of times before it became too annoying.

It would be great, as sdelsolray suggested, if you could keep both. The Duet records so well with a Mac and the T1 is such a great unit.

If you do start looking at other interfaces and you have Snow Leopard on your Mac, make sure the interface is compatible with Snow Leopard. The Lexicon Omega is not, or at least was not this fall. That is why I went with the Duet. I would hope that Snow Leopard has been out long enough that any compatibility issues have been resolved but it is something to keep in mind.

Matt
Old 02-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks Matt. Decisions, decisions....
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I've been playing around with a Bose T1 (because I already own an L1 Compact) and an Apogee Duet. I need to make a decision on an interface. The T1 is just an awesome little digital mixer that can also be used as a USB interface. It's got strong and quiet preamps which have no problems driving my SM7B. The T1 is a Swiss Army knife.

The Apogee Duet (as most folks know) is a great interface that plays nice with Mac software.

I can't afford to keep both, but I can't. I'll be using Logic Express 9 and recording mostly one track at a time. Most of my work will be voice-over narration. My preference is to keep the T1 because it can do so much. I've AB'd the T1 and the Duet in Garageband and the Duet seemed a bit warmer. However, the T1 sounded really good, too. Also, there didn't seem to be a latency issue recording one track via USB.

You use the T1 with your Bose L1 Compact to give you more tone control, effects, and access to the ToneMatch presets. Why would you even consider getting rid of your T1 when it enables greater performance versatility when coupled with your Bose L1 Compact PA system? I'd bite the bullet and keep both the T1 and your Apogee Duet.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Good point, SpruceTop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD