The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Default my first full band mix attempt

Hey everyone, in light of another post asking folks to critique their record, I would like some feedback with mine, this was my first attempt at an actual full blown album. This is my church's worship team, and we decided to record a cover album. I'm on the bass and did all the editing, mixing and recording in case people are wondering...mastering however was done by a recording studio. I just sent over the wav file. Well enjoy/cringe/critique away, I have thick skin so no worries about being offensive...

http://www.box.net/shared/6v4xukafd3
http://www.box.net/shared/rmv1gqmd14

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48

Last edited by makikogi; 02-20-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Absolutely gorgeous. Nice balance, nice EQ, nice ambient treatment. A very pleasant mix overall and nice playing as well. I'll be really critical here because the mixes are so nice:

Pleasing to You
: A couple of panning questions: I'm listening on a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones that have always been very trustworthy on panning before. I'm sensing the weight of the bass guitar on the right side, interestingly enough. Was that intentional? You are inherently less able to get a full bass that way and your super-critical listeners (like me) are a little distracted by it. Also, the hi-hat is centered, right on top of the voice and the ride is pretty inboard, very near the voice. Was that intentional as well? You could get more intelligibility with the cymbals more outboard and, frankly, the right ear of the average audience wants to be tickled by some sizzle.

Glory in the Highest: Same comments as above. Also, since the drum kit came in and there was plenty of activity on the right, I would have put the acoustic guitar on the left, at about the same distance from center as you put it on the right, in order to balance out the highs from the drum kit. Also, when I was studying engineering lo these thirty years ago, I was taught that you'll know an engineer by his fades. I studied one of the best, Bill Szymczyk, who did Walsh and the Eagles. He took his time on the fades, and I think you should as well. You can do some more work on the coda and fade: begin the fade earlier and sculpt it so that it feels more natural and less abrupt. IMHO

Okay. Take those as colleagial encouragements, please. Little final love taps. I'm impressed with your work.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 PM

wow I am super impressed you were able to hear all that! Thanks so much for the friendly comments, I totally wish I had more training on mixing.

Honestly I panned things to separate and make the various instruments to stand out a little better. I really didn't have any particular technique to it..."uh, yea, let's pan the bass this way, acoustic that way"...makes total sense to leave the bass centered and to make sure there's a good balance panning things. As for the high hat and ride, I did have it pretty hard panned one way and the other, but I goofed by aux sending those tracks to the reverb bus which was a stereo output (doh!) kinda defeats the purpose of panning haha...

the fades were very tough, and could have definitely done better with those, but it's strange when I got the mastered tracks back I really felt like the fades changed...maybe when I bounced the tracks something screwy happened. It definitely sounds smoother in my session.

Thanks again for the compliments Bob, again I am super impressed you were able to hear all those details!

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM

Nice mixing ! Sounds really professional.

Even more interesting too me though is Bob's analysis and comments, it's great to go there and listen with his comments in mind, and get some perspective of how a true pro interacts inside an audio environment... inspiring indeed!

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD