The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-23-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Wolf Trap!

Looked around for a minute or so for Bob's old post on the Doobies at Wolf Trap... but rather than dig it up, let me just say that as I write this, the boys are running through an extended jam of 'Don't Start Me Talkin'... playing at that level has got to be great fun! They just rock!

And could John McFee play any more instruments, you think?

Not that they are all that similar in style, but John is to the Doobies as (now departed ) Don Felder is to the Eagles. He just adds so much.

Didn't Pat Simmons used to play a 335 mostly?

And Tom Johnston is in FINE voice. Gotta go and listen a little more...

Thanks Bob!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for your kind comments!

Yes, Pat used to play 335s and 345s exclusively and used Ampeg Porta-Flex bass amps. He switched to Strats in the 80s. You know, my wife doesn't much like concert videos but she LOVES this one. Why? Because they are having such FUN. I was sold the first time I saw them on In Concert Tonight, back in 1972.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:55 PM

OK, Bob... so far, I've bought (and thoroughly enjoyed) only 2 concert videos:

– Eric Clapton / Crossroads
– Doobies Live at Wolf Trap

While I truly do like a LOT of different music... I guess in the DVD world I think I'm partial to the stuff I know and can either sing along with or play along (to a smallish degree at times) with... blues, rock (well... Eagles, Doobies, Fleetwood Mac 'pop-ish' kinda rock, rather than... let's say... Judas Priest or Metallica). JT. Fogelberg. Police. Hmmm, looks like I'm going all over the road here.

I really like to watch and hear good guitar-based bands.

Other suggestions?

Thanks again...

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay...

Eagles
- Hell Freezes Over - Incredibly tight, shot on a sound stage. A video benchmark.
Eagles - Fairwell 1 - This one is only a week old and much higher energy. They are older, have lost range and Felder, but vocals are tighter. Joe has fun and gets loose. A highlight is Joe's uplifting song about substance abuse recovery. Two disks, 30 songs
Fleetwood Mac
- The Dance - Also shot on a soundstage but a nice job as well. Their last video with the entire classic line-up, since Christine has gone to enjoy married life. Lindsey B. is the tightest I've ever seen him and the band is happy to be together.
Yes - House of Yes - If you like Yes, this is their tightest. Shot at a House of Blues. Jon is in a good mood. Rick is absent but Igor Kohroshev reproduces him well.
Allman Brothers - Live at the Beacon Theater - You've got to like the blues and extended jams to like this one. This is the best I've seen from these guys since Duane died. Warren Haynes and Derek Truck provide great textures.

Howzat?

Bob

PS. Have you seen the Doobies Wildlife Concert? It was pretty good as well. Broadcast live from Sony Studios in NYC in the mid-90s and then put together for the DVD.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 PM

I would add Alison Krauss and Union Station-Live w/Jerry Douglas to that list. Great sounding room, great musicians that work well together and like was said of the Doobies, they just have fun. A 2 DVD set.
________
RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by Allen Shadd; 05-03-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM

Thanks guys... the DVD music library (if you can call 2 a library) will be adding a few items every once in a while, I'm sure. I like all the suggestions. Had the Eagles Farewell 1 in my hand today, but chose to get Doobies/Wolf Trap first.

By the way, I have seen (borrowed form a friend) my fellow Canadians... Rush in Rio. Fantastic druming... some great guitar... and then there's Geddy Lee. However, put them all together, and I thought it was a pretty good representation of what they do. Not one that I'd buy for now, anyway.

Anybody else?

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 06-23-2005, 06:56 PM

check out Peter Frampton, Live in Detroit. It is a few years old but a great concert nevertheless.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul
check out Peter Frampton, Live in Detroit. It is a few years old but a great concert nevertheless.
Will do. Thanks, Paul!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM

I saw the Paul McCartney DVD and really enjoyed it.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:07 PM

As far as music DVDs it's very hard to get better the The Band film "The Last Waltz" Filmed by Scorese, lots of great guest players and the high level of music from The Band

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 06-25-2005, 12:51 PM

I considered myself lucky in my vast music taste, I really enjoy most of music DVDs (VHS tapes from years back).
Armed with good Home Theater system is a must;
I truely enjoyed Yani (yes, that Yani!) way back when on DVD, Cream's farewell, John Denver on his Wildlife concert, James Taylor on his only 2 DVDs, Yes with Steve Howe on his nylon classical, Keb Mo, Nora Jones, The Shadows, every Simon & Garfunkel DVD, Jewel, Led Zep, Eagles,CSN, Neil Young, Boz Scaggs, John Fogerty.... etc.
I'd say they are much cheaper or even better in many ways than go to their real concerts that you'd end up likely to be so far from the stages anyway.
And these new tech video/audio systems only helps you to get the best of them out to you at home.
NO need to dress up, you can watch so many times with one payment!
Just IMHO
Old 06-25-2005, 03:11 PM

One thing I know... I never used to give it a second thought really, but now when I go to Borders, or some other music store, I make sure I browse through the concert DVDs as well.

All suggestions greatly apreciated.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell