The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Well, I’m perhaps the odd man out. But I’ve never done a thing to any of my guitars besides wipe them down with a soft cloth. Once in a blue moon, I’ll dampen a cloth with straight water to wipe off schmootz that got onto the guitar.
I've had my Gibson for about 50 years and never oiled it. I guess maybe I'm about due.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I use lemon oil and apply it to my fingerboards & bridges no more than once a year. I place a drop or two on my fingertip and work it into the fingerboard and bridge, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe down the applied areas with a clean soft cotton cloth to remove any excess. A little bit goes a LONG way...I have a 2-ounce bottle that I've used for 3-4 years already and the level is probably only down 1/16". I suspect I'll be using this same bottle for the rest of my life.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Welcome to the AGF.
I'm a big fan of the Music Nomad F-One Fretboard Oil.

Just a few drops needed - I use it about once per year.
Works well on bridges too - see the before and after shots below of my Martin JDP II.
]
Love this stuff. I was worried for years about over oiling-collecting dust...etc...so I never oiled my fretboards.
I was especially afraid of that oil getting onto my strings. As finger oils, and corrosion kill the tone of strings.
And then I saw a demonstration on how Music Nomad really sinks in. Just wipe on, let sit for 10 to 20 minutes. Wipe on another coat...and wait another 10 to 20 minutes. Then vigorously wipe off
As far as I can tell there is no surface residue. Obviously there has to be some, but It does not feel like there is any.
As another benefit, your fingers seem to glide across the frets a bit easier.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

How about NEVER? I never oil my fretboards. It seems a very unnecessary task and I've never had a problem arise from not oiling the fretboards on my 30+ stringed instruments.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Did you put it on the rosette? It looks darker. Hope not because I like the lighter version.
The photo's are several years apart.
The guitar was very light colored when new but has darkened over the years - lives on a stand in my living room.

I was another person who had never treated any of my guitars unril I posted a picture of that very same Martin JDP II and an AGFer commented that the bridge looked very dry - did some research - liked what I read about Music Nomad F-One and very happy with the results.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Me Nope

Guess I am old school have never oiled any of my fretboards. To me my instruments have always been about the guitars being tools of a trade.
I have cleaned them with using 000 steelwool and always wiped them down after using them for some time to make sure to get any finger oils left behind are removed gently and have never worried about the looks.The sound is what always mattered to me so like many old time players I just make sure my tools are well looked after without taking any chance of causing damage down the road to the fretboard or bridge.
Sorry but I look at these products as nothing more then to seperate you from your wallet and whatever cash is in it and frankly I just wouldn't risk it.
But at the same time its your money and your guitar so do as you please but it is always going to be a big fat NO from my side of the track after 55+ years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion