The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 AM

Default Choosing between RK ros10+rot16

I'm torn between buying 2 guitars the recording king Ros 10 and rot16. What should I buy?

I finger pick with my nails. I like to experiment a bit. I know the Ros 10 is focused towards finger picking and the rot16 is possibly more universal. Which would be the most resonant? The 10 is all solid where as the 16 has torrified top but mhog bs? I can't play them. I like my dirty 30,s guitar but would like one of the two above to be a primary guitar. A step up in terms of tone? The 10 is a 12 fret the 16 a shorter scale 14 fret. I also like to tune down. I feel that this should still be ok on a shorter scale? I like the sound of a Martin 18 ooo. Anyhows the problem is if I like both I will be a bit crowded broke and will have a couple of jealous guitars that might fall out with me.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:09 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by the RO-T16 having a "torrified top BUT mahogany back and sides"? It is my understanding that the B&S on the T-16
are solid as well, or at least sound like it on mine. I think I would prefer a thicker 12-fret neck to the thin 14-fret neck, but I haven't found the neck of the T-16 disqualifying for fingerstyle and occasional strumming.

The sound of the T-16 is very good, quite loud and melodious. I haven't played the 10-series model, but my T-16 compares favorably to most other 000 guitars I have played, including some heavy hitters such as the Martin 000-18.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Hi Phoenix75,

I have owned both the RO-T16 and RO-10. I think the RO-10 is better. Here's what I wrote about them in a thread a while back:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=502156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I owned a Recording King RO-T16 for a while. It had a very nice treble side, and a pretty nice bass sound. I thought the bass sounded a little bit muted--maybe because of the laminated back and sides.

Then I bought an RO-10 that did not have a torrified top, and not Adirondack either, but it does have solid African Mahogany back and sides. The R-10 sounds a lot clearer in the bass, not muffled at all. The treble notes do have a slight "honky" quality that is not quite bell like. But I do like the RO-10 more than the RO-T16, which I sold.

Last, I bought an RP1-626C, which had the best tone of all. The treble notes were just a bit more clear than the RO-10--more bell like. The bass sounded great and open like the RO-10. I had to return the guitar because the nut was wider than the seller was advertising (it was 1 13/16", but advertised as 1 12/16"). Also, as I was boxing it up to return it, I noticed the bridge was lifting. I would definitely buy another RP1-626C if I could get it with 1 3/4 nut and without a lifting bridge.

TLDR: IMO, the Recording King RP1-626C sounds just a touch better than the RO-10, which sounds three touches better than the RP-T16.
Good luck!
Matt
Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 AM

Hey thanks for that. Yes I'm very much intrigued by it. There is also an Raj 126 so 3 guitars at a stretch I can buy 2! I like the Martin 18.

Thanks MG I've already read your post before about 10 times! I just like this t16 its very attractive. The Ros 10 is on its way.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Congratulations. It's a good guitar with plenty to give.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM

I got the Ros 10. It came yesterday. I actually stuck it back in the box to send back because the mad thick neck freaked me out. But I took it out last night and played it for five hours. I just approached it differently than the thinner necks. It sounds good!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix75 View Post
I got the Ros 10. It came yesterday. I actually stuck it back in the box to send back because the mad thick neck freaked me out. But I took it out last night and played it for five hours. I just approached it differently than the thinner necks. It sounds good!
"C" neck? my 10 series was a 12 fret....heck of a value for the money
Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 AM

That's great. I hope it works out for you. It took me some time to get used to the thick neck, but now I can switch back and forth between skinny and thick necks without really noticing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix75 View Post
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Hi yes. The neck is mad thick!!! But it's a good thing I think. Do u find it actually helps your technique?

I'm really just going to buy the ROt16 and that's me done. I like the Martin ooo18 as well. I feel this is the right decision. I'm buying online so I have to research as much as possible. I have a choice between the t16 and Raj 126. I just don't think the Raj is for me. I'm not sure if it's the right tone for me. It's a bit of a predicament. I'm curious to how the ROt16 compares to the dirty 30,s ooo?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion