The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
My girls whine every day about "when is it going to snow?" They take it as a personal insult if it's not cold for winter. I'm probably going to hear it tomorrow in our 73 degree weather. They'll be hating life.
Oh, I feel so bad for you,,,,not....Kathy is coming up tomorrow, leaving that weather to join me for X'mas in this mess we call the Northeast. She must really love me, in case I had any doubts, this should prove it!!!!

How does Santa make his sleigh work in Texas anyway?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:43 PM

After Jim mentioned adding ABW as a bridge option along with the ebony and the Amazon Rosewood, I asked Steve and Ryan and low and behold we had ABW as an option as well.

This pic shows an ebony bridge blank, a partially completed ABW bridge, and finally an ABW bridge blank with some nice grain:

Steve also mentioned he had some ABW with a nice sapwood section as well, so being a sap for sapwood, I asked to see them...

I have chosen the later, I don't know which half I will get as I told Steve I would be happy with either side...I think it will really be a neat look...
Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Here is a picture of the side braces being carved, one of Ryan's favorite jobs, info that I have garnered from inside info....looks like the linings have been notched to accept braces as well....

And then finished:

Steve and Ryan, I'm building an OM sized guitar and wanted to use something other than popsicle sticks for the sides, and I've never wanted to use cloth.
In your post quoted here your side supports kinda looks like they are about as tall as the kerfing. As to the width of the supports, they appear to use 1 and 1/2 kerfs per brace, and that's about 3/8" on my kerfing, which came from Stewmac.
Can you clue me in on the dimensions that you use?
Also, in the 2 pictures of that post, one shows the braces perpendicular and right under the back braces, but the other does not seem to do it. I think you favor having them right at the braces but don't remember for sure. Can you help me there?
Last question, how many per side?
Thanks much for any help,
Bob
Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Bob,
Simple answer: Braces are as tall as the lining (~1/4") as wide as the back brace they are over (5/16" & 7/16" on our guitars) and 5 to a side (over the back braces and one more between the last brace and the end block.

In the picture I took that has the side brace not over a brace pocket, it's an additional support around the future soundport area. We also veneer behind the soundport (not shown). Side brace installation is about as much fun as barnacle scraping to me, but it does give a clean look to the interior. I pray for the day when someone requests cloth reinforcements.

Good luck.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks much, Ryan. That barnacle work's gonna turn out pretty ok!!! And as an ex-sailor, I know whereof I speak.

Last edited by naccoachbob; 12-16-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
How does Santa make his sleigh work in Texas anyway?
He doesn't - that's why he sent us down here.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I pray for the day when someone requests cloth reinforcements.
Would this be like the purple (were they carbon fiber?) strips that made it into the Mango Crossover?
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Exactly Bob. Those were fabric strips impregnated with glue- and purple.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly Bob. Those were fabric strips impregnated with glue- and purple.
Where is the fun in that, I know you love to carve the side braces, Steve has assured me it is something you love to do and are disappointed when you miss out.

Sort of like having the flu and going to work....who doesn't love that.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Default Generous Steve

Quote:
Where is the fun in that, I know you love to carve the side braces, Steve has assured me it is something you love to do and are disappointed when you miss out.

Sort of like having the flu and going to work....who doesn't love that.
I love everything about watching them work! But they know the purple fan that I am! And the Mango was already an experimental testbed ... so a good place to try out something new. As for MY work on an instrument, I once helped clean up glue from the back braces...any carving would have been a way-bad thing! Steve is always way too generous in giving credit to me for anything! To even invite me into the shop is serious risk-taking. To accept one of my 'outta the box' concept projects...well generous!

The least I can do is to experiment along with them...and they know anything purple gets the automatic nod!
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-25-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
I love everything about watching them work! But they know the purple fan that I am! And the Mango was already an experimental testbed ... so a good place to try out something new. As for MY work on an instrument, I once helped clean up glue from the back braces...any carving would have been a way-bad thing! Steve is always way too generous in giving credit to me for anything! To even invite me into the shop is serious risk-taking. To accept one of my 'outta the box' concept projects...well generous!

The least I can do is to experiment along with them...and they know anything purple gets the automatic nod!
If I recall, they may not invite you into the shoppe because of your propensity to steal other people's wood choices...that can become a liability for the boys hahaha!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 AM

This is a great thread with fascinating photos of the process. The sapwood with east asian rosewood make a splendid combination.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
This is a great thread with fascinating photos of the process. The sapwood with east asian rosewood make a splendid combination.
Thank you neonzapper and welcome to the forum as well!

Here is a picture of the mostly completed bridge made from African Blackwood with a sapwood strip along the back edge!!!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you neonzapper and welcome to the forum as well!

Here is a picture of the mostly completed bridge made from African Blackwood with a sapwood strip along the back edge!!!

I do like that bridge
Old 12-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Default No propensity...

Nah Tom, no propensity... I stole that wood 'specially for you!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop