The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
martingitdave...maybe I missed it in your review or a post thereafter, but did you A/B the Modern Deluxe against the D-28 Standard? Did the MD D-28 have a more "chimey" tone...more mid-to-high focused tone than the Standard model?

That's what kind of turned me off when I checked out the MD OM-28, then went home and played my Standard OM-28, which only had ebony bridge pins as far as mods. I'm pretty sure the strings on my guitar (D'Addario EJ16's) were newer than the strings on the MD at the shop...but that shouldn't have made a huge difference. But...I'm quite sure the titanium bridge pins, the carbon fiber bridge plate and titanium truss rod DO make a difference. I just didn't like the MD sound, at least on the OM.
Ozark,

I was able to compare this specific D-28MD to both my Marquis and my HD-28. I feel the Marquis has a darker, slightly deeper, tone and is more broken in than the new MD model. However, the MD was deeper, and more potent in the highs than the HD-28. It isn't brighter necessarily. Just more potent in the fundamentals of the high notes, if that makes sense.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Dave, That was the most superb, well-done review I've seen in a long time. Thnk you for your thoughtful insight. I have not tried the MD-28. I did however briefly strum a D-18MD and the OM-28MD. I was first taken back at how Light they were. That was very impressive. They were also very resonant with great projection with a light touch.

I did not care for the skinny neck ...but that was based on 2 minutes of noodling to hear what they sounded like. It's entirely possible if I played one for a while I might forget about the neck. But man, it sure felt shallow and skinny. That is purely a preference thing. I don't take issue with the MLO/PA neck as many do, so it goes to show we are all different.

I am really happy for you.

The whole Pickup/amplification matter is a quandary. All Pick-up solutions come with some sort of trade-off. I don't think I would be happy with a Lyric in the long run. I demoed my Martin Outlaw with the K&K PWM again a couple of days ago. I hate it. And I have Baggs Align EQ/preamp and Baggs Align Session DI on my board. But that's a side-bar. I don't want to de-rail you NGD that is all about your new Martin D-28MD. Congrats my friend.
Thanks for the kind words. I think your guitars sound wonderful in all the videos and I don't think this new one would really offer any more than those can. But, it does offer something different than what I have. What I would like Martin to make is an Outlaw '19 with EIR B&S, and a low profile 1-3/4" nut width neck. This is pretty close to that I think.

Pickups are a frustration and mystery. I know the Lyric is probably not a long term solution based on previous experience. But, I'll use it until I get more confidence to try Dazzo, K&K, or Trance in this guitar. Maury thinks Trance is a good solution for these. So, maybe that's the right move?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Excellent review!

I've played 5 MD28's and was also able to compare two of them to my Marquis with pretty much the same conclusion. The biggest difference for me between a reimagined D28 and the MD was dynamic range and clarity in the high end. The MD had heaps more of both.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I sold the Standard HD-28. Lovely guitar, but the sustain, power, and fat trebles of the D-28MD were more appealing. Oddly enough, the neck sealed the deal.
Interesting observation and one I agree with. Most of the anti-MD folks hold up the HD-28 as their preferred sound.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 AM

Default Review: Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Interesting observation and one I agree with. Most of the anti-MD folks hold up the HD-28 as their preferred sound.

Yes, that seems to be the case. And, given the high variability of ears and individual guitars, it’s probably silly to argue with anyone who doesn’t like a certain variant of a guitar model (that is besides the fact that there are more important things in the wold to discuss e.g. just about anything.)

The tone differences between these models is subtle - subtle enough not to be noticed by many people doing a casual audition. And, a lot of the difference is in the way that the mids and highs are presented. Lots of people already like the way the mids and highs are presented on late model Martins. To them, this is a solution in search of a problem. To others, however, the new models offer a clarity in individual notes that some people enjoy. It almost sounds like a classical guitar in that sense - power across every register. My suspicion is that playing style has a lot to do with the perceived value in the changes. I Travis pick most of the time, except when playing bluegrass. This guitar seems custom made for that. It also sounds good with a flat pick to my ears. But, if I only played chords, or strummed with a medium or thin flat pick, I probably wouldn’t bother with the new model.

The first D-28MD that I played was not very good. The neck angle seemed off, the tone was thin, and it didn’t have the bass. At least, that was how I felt about it that day. I was disappointed because I had travelled a long way to play it. The second opportunity to play a D-28MD was on Spring Break with my family. It was a much more impressive experience and definitely changed my opinion. It was “head turning.” The third time I played a D-28MD was at a shop where I was having my new HD-28 evaluated for some bellying, which turned out to be mostly humidity related. I only picked it up to kill some time while waiting. This MD was a beast. And, I never noticed the neck at all while playing - just the tone. I left that day and couldn’t get it out of my head. So, I went back and traded for it. And, this is ironic after all the bellyaching I did on UMGF about the skinny neck on the MD I played first. Truthfully, if the tone grabs you, and the neck isn’t affecting your playing negatively, who cares? I probably noticed the neck during my first audition because I wasn’t impressed with what came out of the sound hole.

All the specs that I wrote about in the post above, and all the stuff we’ve discussed on UMGF really don’t amount to any inherent value in actual music making. They are just the musings of an engineer who finds beauty in the minutia of guitar making.

On another note, I’m happy you are enjoying your new 000-28MD. It looks like a lovely guitar and appears to have been worth the wait for you.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-17-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
On another note, I’m happy you are enjoying your new 000-28MD. It looks like a lovely guitar and appears to have been worth the wait for you.
Thanks. Glad you didn’t give up after the first one. I targeted smaller-than-dread from the start. Then wanted 000 over MD for the benefits of short scale. The 000 was the last model to arrive at my dealer so I was a pest playing the other MDs vs various Martin Standards and customs. I demo’d a lot of guitars. I found each model of MD to be superb. I didn’t think the tone difference was so subtle but, I had the luxury of playing them over and over against just about every sub-40s guitar in the shop over a two month period waiting for the 000 to come in.

Regarding the neck, I’ve grown to like it more than the MLO/HPT. I’ve noticed Martin using it outside the MD Series so maybe it will grow in share.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Congrats! Lovely guitar, and I was happy to read your take on V and X bracing.

I think Martin did some great things to help capture the modern crowd, except for one thing.....price. Taylor was able to offer similar price points for their V Bracing, and even the Builder's Edition 517 and 717s come in well under the price of the Modern Series. Whatever Martin is smoking must be good for them to think they could charge $1K more per model.

I doubt I will ever play a Modern Deluxe Martin simply because of the price of admission.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Congrats! Lovely guitar, and I was happy to read your take on V and X bracing.

I think Martin did some great things to help capture the modern crowd, except for one thing.....price. Taylor was able to offer similar price points for their V Bracing, and even the Builder's Edition 517 and 717s come in well under the price of the Modern Series. Whatever Martin is smoking must be good for them to think they could charge $1K more per model.

I doubt I will ever play a Modern Deluxe Martin simply because of the price of admission.
That's an interesting take on the topic. I didn't really discuss the premium attached to the "upgrades." Like all things price related, the value is up to the individual. I can say that the dealer I worked with was very reasonable with the pricing and accepted my offer, which I thought was fair. At retail price, I might tend to agree with you. It's a lot of additional money unless that tone really grabs you.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM

In TSP's comparison vid above, I liked the 28s in the order presented.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM

I haven't fallen in love with any Modern Deluxe I've played. They've all just seemed like... another Martin? Great guitar but not heads and shoulders above any other guitar in their range. Even the lower end solid-wood models have their charm and things I prefer, like the neck shapes. Not a fan of the Modern Deluxe neck shape. The MDs do feel a little bit more "opened up" than other brand new Martins.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 PM

I mentioned in my other thread that I changed pickups. I switched to the Schatten HFN VT Active pickup. It sounds very nice! I also switched strings to the GHS Americana 13s and used stock plastic pins from a pervious Martin. I am loving the tone of this thing tonight.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Of course! These guitars are like different flavors of ice cream. We all have different taste buds and ears. :-)

I think this is why there are so many variants of a fundamental design, right? We all have our personal preferences.

I played a Taylor for years and when I got into bluegrass jamming (briefly) decided to get a D-28. I bought it on Reverb which, when it arrived, felt like a huge mistake. It sounded dull and boring, no harmonic overtones like my Taylor (which I had to sell to get the Martin) and I was really heartbroken. After I had the guitar for about 6 months the tone really changed for the better. I don’t know if the humidity where I live was more ideal and took a while to impact the wood, but it’s now really the nicest sounding guitar I have ever played. I get lots of comments on how much depth and volume it has. I’m generally reluctant to judge them harshly right away anymore for this reason. They really can open up and improve over time, sometimes dramatically.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 AM

Here's a review of a D18MD I did for a UK site - I liked this guitar a lot!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digelectric View Post
I think this is why there are so many variants of a fundamental design, right? We all have our personal preferences.

I played a Taylor for years and when I got into bluegrass jamming (briefly) decided to get a D-28. I bought it on Reverb which, when it arrived, felt like a huge mistake. It sounded dull and boring, no harmonic overtones like my Taylor (which I had to sell to get the Martin) and I was really heartbroken. After I had the guitar for about 6 months the tone really changed for the better. I don’t know if the humidity where I live was more ideal and took a while to impact the wood, but it’s now really the nicest sounding guitar I have ever played. I get lots of comments on how much depth and volume it has. I’m generally reluctant to judge them harshly right away anymore for this reason. They really can open up and improve over time, sometimes dramatically.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve had a similar experience. However, there were a few that I didn’t show enough patience with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion