The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Guy...
I'm not sure, but are you asking if it will record into the Zoom at the same time it is acting as an interface for the computer?

If that is your question, I think not. You have to select the unit as a computer interface while the power is ''Off'' so the recorder would not be functional.

If you mean ''Can I plug the PRS guitar into the Zoom H4 and record it like I would my acoustic?'', yes you can. You just cannot do both at the same time.
yes, it was that latter question i was asking. outstanding! i'm looking forward to playing with this device. actually i want to try to record my fiddle and perhaps add a guitar track to that using, perhaps, garageband.

i'll post a review on it from a complete newb's perspective after i've had a few days with it. i've never really recorded anything other than casually. i have one of those digitech gnx4 multitrack workstations that's the size of a medium dog, but it's too complicated for me and i just use the effects and the ports/interfaces.

again, thanks for the information.

ps: after reading some more online i see that this device has guitar effects like my digitech. i assume it works the same way: you plug in the guitar to the efx box, then the efx box to the amp. but the zoom doesn't seem to have a suitable output for this, does it? i would not think the headphone out jack could be used for this? does this mean that the efx on the zoom are only for recording and not for live play?

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-27-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
does this mean that the efx on the zoom are only for recording and not for live play?
That is correct.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 AM

Hi everyone
Just curious to know what you think about the very small built-in condenser micro of my Zoom mrs8 compared to the 2 mics of the H4.

I found something very interesting yesterday on the mrs8 :Limiter,compressor,threshold and EQ functions...same on the H4? (i didn't read all the specifications on Zoom website)

http://accoustic91.free.fr/Mrs8-built-in-mic.mp3

Last edited by a-coustica; 11-30-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Hi
Take a look at this review of the H4 i just found......not Christmas for everybody!!

"VERY DISAPPOINTED!"
Feature:
Cheaply made, the USB cable it comes with doesn't work at all so I had to use the one from my digital camera. Tripod adapter is really cheezy and the sound card it comes with is seriously inadequate for the price of this unit.

Quality:
The switches and buttons don't operate smoothly and the most important one - the "jog" dial will either not go in, or if I press it more firmly than I should have to it sticks inside. Furthermore, the fast forward/reverse is not fast at all. It doesn't do anything! and the fact that the recording mode and other features do not stay engaged between sessions is really frustrating.

Value:
I don't know of any other items that compare to this, in this price range.

Desirability:
Upon reading about it before I bought it I just had to have it, but after trying it out for a few days I soon realized that it is overhyped, poorly designed, shoddy workmanship and a waste of money and time. I made the mistake of going out and buying more memory for it, a tripod and 4 high quality batteries, all for nothing because it's going back to the store tomorrow. The concept of it sounds great, but they need to go back to the drawing board on this as far as I'm concerned.

Sound:
Through the headphones it sounds fine, unfortunatly this device won't connect to my Mac. It just freezes and I have to disconnect it and force quit Garage Band. Audio I/O does the same thing. If I can't get it to make any sound, then the sound sucks.

Ease of Use:
Easy enough to stumble through, as it should be - due to the instruction manual being so poorly written

Support:
I am so displeased with this product that I will not even bother with support - it's going back to the store!

Overall:
I'm going to see what else is out there, even if I have to spend an extra few bucks - I just want something that WORKS!

Submitted: 12/16/2006

Style of Music: Rock, World, Jazz, Blues
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's unusual. Everyone else loves it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Need Help Deleting A File On My H4 From My PC

I just picked-up an H4 and am very pleased with the unit. I need some help though with what I am sure is an easy question.

After I have recorded and uploaded a song file into ITunes on my PC via USB from the H4, I would then like to erase/delete the file on the H4.

In an earlier post on this thread, ljguitar explains how he does this with his MAC and apparently Bern did it on his PC...but I don't get it. I can delete the file from my ITunes Library no problem (before or after I convert it to an ACC format), but that doesn't delete it from the H4.

Please help a PC...but soon to be a MAC user out. Thanks!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Press the 'Menu' button
Select 'File' with the 'Jog Dial' on the H4 (it should be the first choice already)
Press the 'Jog Dial'
Select 'Delete'
Select your file you wish to delete with the 'Jog Dial'
Select 'Delete'

...and delete your file
Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 PM

Thanks Bern. I know how to delete the H4 file using the H4...maybe I misunderstood, but I thought ljguitar mentioned an easy way of deleting the H4 file while the H4 was connected to his computer (MAC) using his computer.

As was stated, deleting files on the H4 using the H4 is laborious and time consuming.

Did I misunderstand?

Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Select 'Menu'
Select 'USB'
Select 'Connect to PC'
From your computer you should be able to see the H4 Sysyem directory and an audio file directory. Open the audio file directory (it might be called Stereo) and you should see your audio files. Then just delete the files as you would delete any ordinary files.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:14 PM

yes, on a mac it should be very easy.

use the procedure bern outlined to connect the h4 via usb and a folder representing the h4 sd card should mount right on the desktop. (unlike windows which, helpful as always, makes you go looking for it!)

just double-click that folder and use the mac finder exactly as you would on any other folder to delete the files.

good luck,

/guy
Old 12-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Got it...Thanks Bern!

Old 12-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Guy...
Plug, choose, and an external hard drive icon appears on the desk top.

In the hard drive are folders, and you choose the one with the files (Stereo). If you delete them there, then they disappear from the H4 as well. Erasing them while the computer is linked is much easier than erasing them from the H4 via internal programming.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
Got it...Thanks Bern!
No problem, Happy Holidays...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Isn't everything......

( He said with envy as he looked over the fence at what appeared to be greener pastures.....I just minutes ago finished troubleshooting my DVD read/write drive on my Windows system )

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell