The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Confused about the post above mine. Is this audiobook related to something on Netflix?

In the meantime, I need to finish the final season of "Money Heist." I began watching it on nights that my wife is working or napping (she works nights, so we are on different schedules a lot). But then she began watching it, so I've been dragging my feet to finish it without her.

I recently watched the limited series, "How To Change Your Mind," which is about psychedelic drugs and their use in psychedelic therapy.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:05 AM

I finished Breaking Bad the night before last. Phew, that's quite a last scene - White and Jesse really do end up in hopeless territory by the end. Throughout the series, I think many of us probably clung to these two characters as our flawed heroes that we hoped would come through somehow. By the end of season 5, I'm guessing that most of our sympathies are pretty much done for them.

I started watching Better Call Saul last night. I'll reserve judgement, but the whole mood seems different, even though some actors/roles are the same as in BB. With the clownish, verbose lawyer at the centre of things, what I've seen so far seems tongue-in-cheek, comic, despite the violence. If this frivolity continues, it will make for a very different series, regardless of the surface similarities.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Okay, to be fair, not on Netflix but if you liked Bryan Cranston in Breaking Bad, you might check out Your Honor on Showtime (and it might also be on Hulu). Cranston plays the well meaning dude who gets in over his head and then embraces it pretty much better than anyone.
Now back to Netflix…
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 PM

"The Man Who Fell to Earth." Showtime. Very very good Sci Fi.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:08 AM

Time for Cobra Kai season 5!

Old 09-12-2022, 02:27 PM

Watching Chef’s Table: Pizza. Thought it might be boring just focusing on one food but it’s had my mouth watering at several points.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Watching Chef’s Table: Pizza. Thought it might be boring just focusing on one food but it’s had my mouth watering at several points.
I've been catching episodes of the "Street Foods" mini-series. Watched all of Latin America, and 1-2 from Asia, USA is next.

I saw this "Chef's Table: Pizza" pop up as a recommendation. Glad to hear it's worth checking out.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We watched the first 2 episodes and now I want pizza. Interesting presentation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I've been catching episodes of the "Street Foods" mini-series.
We liked this show too.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:45 AM

I've (kinda ...) got into Better Call Saul now; I'm actually reaching the end of the third season. The story is quite compelling, and there are some interesting characters.

Jimmy is a curious one, though. With that annoyingly scratchy high-pitched voice, his slimy antics, and the fact that he looks more or less old enough to be her father, why exactly would Kim fall for him? There's probably something about his wild side that she may find fun and/or exciting, but still ...

Another curio I'm finding with it is the treatment of old people. In a climate of hypersensitive eggshell-walking, did anybody else find the portrayal of the elderly as Bingo-addicted simpletons just a little ageist?
Old 09-24-2022, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Keep watching. All of your questions will be revealed between now and the end.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been watching this week. It's good, but the episodes are much more about the people than the food, which I didn't realize beforehand.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Keep watching. All of your questions will be revealed between now and the end.
.. Will do!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Confused about the post above mine. Is this audiobook related to something on Netflix?

You are correct in pointing that out. My random blurb about Atomic Habits actually belongs in a book thread, not here in Netflix. Sorry for the stray post. lol
Old 09-29-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've (kinda ...) got into Better Call Saul now; I'm actually reaching the end of the third season. The story is quite compelling, and there are some interesting characters.

Jimmy is a curious one, though. With that annoyingly scratchy high-pitched voice, his slimy antics, and the fact that he looks more or less old enough to be her father, why exactly would Kim fall for him? There's probably something about his wild side that she may find fun and/or exciting, but still ...

Another curio I'm finding with it is the treatment of old people. In a climate of hypersensitive eggshell-walking, did anybody else find the portrayal of the elderly as Bingo-addicted simpletons just a little ageist?
No, I found it a LOT age-ist. Not the portrayal, but the sad reality that too many elderly folks prove such soft/easy, lucrative, likely targets. I've lost family and friends to Alzheimer's Disease, and the naive characters we saw on BCS are (tragically) all too typical. Especially in some senior community cultures.

As a youngster, I always imagined that burglars should wear masks and stealthy dark clothing - like cartoons. And greedy people should wring their hands with evil smirks on their untrustworthy faces. As it turns out, though, serous character flaws (like Jimmy's and Kim's) are most often well disguised behind benign, friendly, engaging, clever and sexy personas.

Under her sleek appearance, Kim is no real box of candy either. I totally 'get' why she and Jimmy are attracted to each other, especially coming from the co-worker foundation where all types and ages can strike up unlikely alliances (during a smoke break for example) that might eventually flourish in countless ways. When I was still working, I developed close friendships (some seemingly odd ones) with dozens of people - twice and half my age.

Mrs. Tinnitus and I finished BB and BCS, waiting for a few weeks here and there to binge on 2-3 at a time. Loved them both. Looking forward to whatever comes next from the people who created both series.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-29-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
No, I found it a LOT age-ist. Not the portrayal, but the sad reality that too many elderly folks prove such soft/easy, lucrative, likely targets. I've lost family and friends to Alzheimer's Disease, and the naive characters we saw on BCS are (tragically) all too typical. Especially in some senior community cultures. ...
Many generalizations about groups of people do contain truths; I wouldn't dispute that. What strikes me as curious, though, is the way that media can disseminate generalized truths about some groups with complete impunity, whilst the very suggestion of doing so with other groups would be enough to land the perpetrator a mugshot on the 6:00 evening news!

My father, an ex-bank manager, was as sharp as a tack till the day he succumbed to cancer, making investments for the whole family and doing the (extremely) difficult Daily Telegraph (an English newspaper) cryptic crossword every day. He never became a Bingo-addicted simpleton, and nor did his friends from what I remember.

However, I do not think that his and his friends' mental acuity necessarily invalidates the generalization about old people as depicted by Better Call Saul. What's interesting is that the argument 'not everyone is like that' usually does invalidate such generalizations and certainly prevents filmmakers from broadcasting them on TV. dramas. Imagine filmmakers giving the same treatment to some other social group that had a louder voice. Boom!

Last edited by ewalling; 09-29-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic